Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2012/06/with_casey_crosby_set_to_make.html
Casey Crosby will be fourth of six fifth-starter candidates to pitch for Detroit Tigers this season.
from Mlive

Crosby was 4-2 with a 4.26 ERA for Toledo before the Tigers announced Wednesday that he would make his major league debut Friday night against the Yankees.
?He might come up here and shut the Yankees out and he might come up here and walk five guys," Leyland said. "I can't tell you what he's going to do.?

Tigers demote Raburn.
The struggling Tigers have acknowledged the need to make some changes, and a first step was taken with the demotion of Ryan Raburn (2B, DET) to AAA-Toledo. Raburn has been woeful to begin the season, with a .146 BA and only one homer in 123 AB. The demotion was particularly timely, as Raburn becomes a fifth-year player on June 8, when he will be out of options, and could decline a minor league assignment.

In Raburn's place, the Tigers will use a platoon of Ramon Santiago (2B, DET) and Danny Worth (2B, DET). Neither has started the season well. Santiago is hitting only .197 and Worth only .182. Both could improve some, but don't expect much. Santiago has hit .260+ in each of the past three seasons, but he doesn't contribute in any category. And Worth has a current .189 xBA. In 165 major league AB over the past three seasons, he has hit two homers and stolen one base. Clearly, the Tigers' current 2B situation is not a place to mine for fanalytic value.

Astute managers, however, may want to prepare for Rayburn's inevitable return. Over the past three seasons, he's had success in the second half:

Looking at Raburn's skills, there is reason to temper those second half expectations. His walk rate dropped from 9% in 2009 to 6% last season, and his contact rate slipped from a high of 77% in 2009 to 71%. Neither of those skills has rebounded yet this year. Still, over the past three seasons, he's had power indices of 140, 140, and 130. He's at an abysmal 55 right now, so there's every reason to expect his power to rebound. He's a decent second half speculation if he's dropped in your league and you have a place to stash him.

Raburn's place on the roster was taken by Omir Santos (C, DET), who was recalled from AAA-Toledo. Santos will be used as a third catcher and will see few AB.

first half second half
2009 .246 .309
2010 .214 .311
2011 .207 .325
Baseball HQ

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120601/SPORTS0104/206010433
Cardinals legend Lou Brock still says he was safe in key play of '68 World Series.
sour f'n grapes him and F'K face mccarver.
from the detnews

Brock was talking with WXYT host Mike Stone, ahead of his upcoming appearance in Metro Detroit.
Brock, now 72, will be at Franklin Hills Country Club on Monday for the 22nd annual Hank Greenberg Memorial Golf Invitational. He will be receiving the lifetime achievement award.

Former Tigers broadcaster Paul Carey will receive the Dick Schaap award for media excellence.
ESPN's Jeremy Schaap will be the master of ceremonies.

Last edited:
http://www.blessyouboys.com/2012/6/1/3057282/bless-you-boys-podcast-42-burning-up-goodwill
Bless You Boys Tigers blog Podcast 42: Burning up goodwill.
Just over 1 hour.

Topics:
Kurt's latest Detroit News column calls out Tigers fans who want Jim Leyland fired.
Was Fox Sports Detroit's Rod Allen correct when he said after the end of another loss, "It's not early anymore?"
The RAYBRUN SUX!!1! types got their wish, as the Tigers sent Ryan Raburn to Toledo in a desperate attempt to get his bat going.
Omir Santos, who will be a 3rd string catcher, was called up to take Raburn's roster spot. WHY?
Doug Fister is placed on the 15-day DL...again.Should we panic?
Will Fister's health issues change who the Tigers may be looking to acquire at the trade deadline?
Hello Casey Crosby!
Quintin Berry looks as if he's in Detroit to stay, but in what role? No, it's not as a 2nd baseman!
Austin Jackson is eligible to come off the disabled list, but isn't ready to return. Should we panic?
Prince Fielder = Dr. Strangeglove.
Jim Leyland demands accountability from the umpires, but he wants the media to do it for him.
Maggilo Ordonez announced his retirement this week. We discuss Magglio's legacy.
Chris Perez calls out the Tigers.
Pat Caputo of The Oakland Press calls out the Tigers for a trade they made...6 years ago? Where were his complaints about trading Omar Infante from 6 years ago? Oh, there were none? Figures.

Austin Jackson says he's feeling a lot better, pain is no longer an issue. Still not 100%, so will not come off DL today even tho he is able.
AJax on ab strain: "I got a chance to kind of shut down from any activity for a little bit, and I think that definitely helped it".
"Today, we’re just going to kind of get it loose, and get back into some physical activity, and see how it feels from there."
"I was resting, and I was stressing out watching games. I understand how my parents feel now when they watch."
AJax: "It was tough, sitting here, feeling like you can’t do anything to help, but that’s just all part of trying to get healthy."
AJax on warning Quintin Berry about cavernous Comerica Centerfield: "I have not. I just got here, but ... I’m sure he knows — 420 is no joke."

Last edited:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120601/SPORTS0104/206010433
Cardinals legend Lou Brock still says he was safe in key play of '68 World Series.
from the detnews

Brock was talking with WXYT host Mike Stone, ahead of his upcoming appearance in Metro Detroit.
Brock, now 72, will be at Franklin Hills Country Club on Monday for the 22nd annual Hank Greenberg Memorial Golf Invitational. He will be receiving the lifetime achievement award.

Former Tigers broadcaster Paul Carey will receive the Dick Schaap award for media excellence.
ESPN's Jeremy Schaap will be the master of ceremonies.
whine whine whine, brock.

Quintin Berry: "But I?m trying to just take it one day at a time, like everybody says. Not put too much pressure on myself."

Berry: (cont.) "Because it is what it is. I?m either going to be here, or I?m not."

Berry: "Yeah, the more hits you get, the less you think about it, the more you can be at ease. The better games I have, better sleep I get."

Q. Berry: "I try to do everything I can. They need me to play first, I?ll play first. They need me to play short, I?ll play short."

Berry on Leyland: "He?s not putting any pressure on me, just letting me do what I can do. He just kind of lets me do my thing. Which is cool."

There might be a roster move or two after the game;
Something about Dirks' MRI and the Toledo outfielder Matt Young could be up.
40 man is full so someone goes?

Dirks was supposed to get X-ray/MRI on his Achilles before the game, but after we talked to him, he could be headed to DL if it's bad.
AP's Dave Hogg with a smart reminder that Schlereth could go to 60-day DL to clear roster spot. Schlereth definitely not returning soon.

Last edited:
Back