Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Drummond open to trying underhanded free throws

Or he could just spend all summer trying to make them. But honestly he could throw them under his legs if it means he makes them.

Or he could just spend all summer trying to make them. But honestly he could throw them under his legs if it means he makes them.

Fact is the guy tries really hard, there is no denying it. Everyone from players, coaches, and media have seen it. Problem lies with him translating it into the actual games.

My feel is that he needs a free throw routine in game that is complex enough so that he doesn't have a chance to think about the pressure

I love how open he is to new methods. Underhand could be the best thing for him, different enough that his brain will be too focused on changing ingrained habits to worry about the rest around him.

I often try to picture how it would be for a 7 footer to shoot free throws. It's easy as a shorter dude, I can put a good arch on the ball. For him, he's basically on a direct line at the rim. Maybe going underhand will allow him to get some bend in the ball and arch it up.

I often try to picture how it would be for a 7 footer to shoot free throws. It's easy as a shorter dude, I can put a good arch on the ball. For him, he's basically on a direct line at the rim. Maybe going underhand will allow him to get some bend in the ball and arch it up.

Laimbeer 6'11. Had no problem.

2440 for 2916

.837 percent

He was so good. Not only his free throws but for someone who shot from 15 feet and out, right at 50%, and double digit rebounds. And such a good defender. Him and Vinnie Johnson, best trade in Pistons history.

For sure he was a great piece that team needed.. Great deal by trader jack

I would love to see some complete compilation on FT% by position. My gut tells me that historically centers are way below the other positions. Could be wrong, and that's probably impossible data to mine.

I would love to see some complete compilation on FT% by position. My gut tells me that historically centers are way below the other positions. Could be wrong, and that's probably impossible data to mine.

Well, yeah, but their shooting percentage from every range outside 5-7 feet is likely the worst as well. Traditionally and even now, centers' outside game hasn't been valued, so it's underemphasized at every stage of their development. Plus it's just much more difficult to find human beings who are 6-10 or bigger and athletic enough to get up and down the court. It would make sense (for these reasons and about a hundred more) why these guys aren't as skilled as guards/forwards (and have a lower FT%) that has nothing to do with how hard it is to shoot a free throw when you're tall.

Actually, I've heard that comment multiple times from experts about the challenges of big men at the line, most notably the fact that it's a straight path from ball to rim and how it's extremely challenging for them to bend their legs.

Back