Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ben Carter to MSU

Sbee

frontcourt depth, still have 2 scholarships for next year

Goins will get one of those scholarships, we're still in on 6-9" top 60 Recruit Taurean Thompson.

We need to figure out if Thompson is better than someone we can get in 2017. We don't need to use the scholarship

We need to figure out if Thompson is better than someone we can get in 2017. We don't need to use the scholarship

Exactly and weve been "settlers" in years past for lesser players when we have no reason to satisfice.

how many scholarships do we need next year? aren't we going to have at least one freshman leave? taking a 4 star, top 60 kid doesn't sound like settling for MSU - Kentucky maybe but in any class other than this one, several posters on this board would be wetting their pants over this kid.

Besides, Carter is only a 1 year guy so we have that scholarship for 2017 - maybe he's more prepared than Thompson but who knows - he's already transferred once from Oregon to UNLV and he blew out his knee in January and missed most of the season. We could be getting a physically damaged head case whereas with Thompson we could be getting a kid with a great deal of upside who can contribute for 3 years or more.

Last edited:
how many scholarships do we need next year? aren't we going to have at least one freshman leave? taking a 4 star, top 60 kid doesn't sound like settling for MSU - Kentucky maybe but in any class other than this one, several posters on this board would be wetting their pants over this kid.

Besides, Carter is only a 1 year guy so we have that scholarship for 2017 - maybe he's more prepared than Thompson but who knows - he's already transferred once from Oregon to UNLV and he blew out his knee in January and missed most of the season. We could be getting a physically damaged head case whereas with Thompson we could be getting a kid with a great deal of upside who can contribute for 3 years or more.

Most likely losing Bridges along with Schilling, Harris, and Ellis, plus we have 2 carryover scholarships since Goins is year to year. if he plays well enough he might get a full scholarship for the remainder of his career though. We'll have plenty of scholarships, Thompson is a bird in the hand. I'll be ok with it if the staff takes him or passes, I'll trust their judgement either way.

Most likely losing Bridges along with Schilling, Harris, and Ellis, plus we have 2 carryover scholarships since Goins is year to year. if he plays well enough he might get a full scholarship for the remainder of his career though. We'll have plenty of scholarships, Thompson is a bird in the hand. I'll be ok with it if the staff takes him or passes, I'll trust their judgement either way.

And Carter - remember, he's only a 1 year kid. So that's 5 plus the 2 we already have. That's plenty of scholarships, we can afford to spend one on a kid we'd be drooling over in any other year. Anyone who thinks we should pass on a top 60 kid because we're suddenly going to need to conserve 5 or 6 scholarships for top 25 kids every year is out of their mind.

And Carter - remember, he's only a 1 year kid. So that's 5 plus the 2 we already have. That's plenty of scholarships, we can afford to spend one on a kid we'd be drooling over in any other year. Anyone who thinks we should pass on a top 60 kid because we're suddenly going to need to conserve 5 or 6 scholarships for top 25 kids every year is out of their mind.

Completely agree. Who knows what we'll actually bring in for next year. Certainly we've been burned plenty in the recent past by making some assumptions there.

Potentially take a class with 2 McD AA's, 3 top 30 kids, 4 top 50 kids, and turn it into one with maybe 5 top 60 kids? Sounds good to me.

Last edited:
Scholarships aren't a simple as x many players and this many spots. In terms of positions well have ward and potentially Thompson as bigs is 2017-2018. If we don't take Thompson big men will be a huge priority for the 2017 classes.

Scholarships aren't a simple as x many players and this many spots. In terms of positions well have ward and potentially Thompson as bigs is 2017-2018. If we don't take Thompson big men will be a huge priority for the 2017 classes.

Of course it's not but we need front court help so taking a 4 star power forward is not something we should think twice about, particularly if the issue is that it leaves us with six instead of seven scholarships next year. If that's what people are concerned about, they're fools. We are late to the game with him so it may not be realistic to think we will get him but if he's seriously considering MSU and isn't a bad kid, the staff should be aggressively pursuing him.

Last edited:
Of course it's not but we need front court help so taking a 4 star power forward is not something we should think twice about, particularly if the issue is that it leaves us with six instead of seven scholarships next year. If that's what people are concerned about, they're fools. We are late to the game with him so it may not be realistic to think we will get him but if he's seriously considering MSU and isn't a bad kid, the staff should be aggressively pursuing him.
As I said before, I'll trust the staff on this one. If they think he's better than someone we can get in 2017 they'll go after him. There isn't as much of an immediate need now.

As I said before, I'll trust the staff on this one. If they think he's better than someone we can get in 2017 they'll go after him. There isn't as much of an immediate need now.

If you trust the staff and the staff recently started recruiting him aggressively and offered him a scholarship a week ago, why did you start this whole thing in post 4 by saying we need to figure out if he's better than someone we can get in 2017 (even though we have a ton of scholarships available in 2017)? Sounds like you were second guessing the staff a bit there.

If you trust the staff and the staff recently started recruiting him aggressively and offered him a scholarship a week ago, why did you start this whole thing in post 4 by saying we need to figure out if he's better than someone we can get in 2017 (even though we have a ton of scholarships available in 2017)? Sounds like you were second guessing the staff a bit there.
The staff went after him aggressively before Ben carter committed. It's not clear weather the staff wanted to take one of the two or both.

I just read that there's still interest with MSU and Thompson, he didn't visit but he's still trying to arrange a time that works. Syracuse has been on him for a really long time and he still hasn't committed, obviously there is some apprehension there, maybe it's because they can't cheat anymore.

I just read that there's still interest with MSU and Thompson, he didn't visit but he's still trying to arrange a time that works. Syracuse has been on him for a really long time and he still hasn't committed, obviously there is some apprehension there, maybe it's because they can't cheat anymore.

I'm still not too familiar with him. Was he a late bloomer or something? His biggest 3 offers(Kansas, Arizona and MSU) were all in the last couple months.

I'm still not too familiar with him. Was he a late bloomer or something? His biggest 3 offers(Kansas, Arizona and MSU) were all in the last couple months.

I'm not either since we haven't been recruiting him that long. From what I've read those Kansas and Arizona offers may or may not have been committable. From what I've seen on film is that he can be a difference maker on defense and alter shots, offense and hands would be a work in progress, doesn't look natural or smooth with the ball.

Sounds like Carter tore his knee up over the weekend.

get ready Nick Ward, looks like Bridges playing more at the 4 than the 3 as well.

Carter could play next year now, he could get a medical redshirt and a 6th year

Last edited:
get ready Nick Ward, looks like Bridges playing more at the 4 than the 3 as well.

Carter could play next year now, he could get a medical redshirt and a 6th year

Pass, I'd rather bring in somebody else. Two straight years with a torn up knee. He's not worth two years of a scholarship.

Back