Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

LOL at the stupid Olympics

Michchamp

Oslo, Norway dropped out of the running for the 2022 Winter Olympics... as the people of the city were intelligent enough to realize the games are a huge waste of money for the hosts. It is kinda funny the demands the IOC makes of cities and their committees, even when they're just in the running for the games. The locals published a list of them for ridicule, Link.

• They demand to meet the king prior to the opening ceremony. Afterwards, there shall be a cocktail reception. Drinks shall be paid for by the Royal Palace or the local organizing committee.
  • Separate lanes should be created on all roads where IOC members will travel, which are not to be used by regular people or public transportation.
  • A welcome greeting from the local Olympic boss and the hotel manager should be presented in IOC members' rooms, along with fruit and cakes of the season. (Seasonal fruit in Oslo in February is a challenge ...)
  • The hotel bar at their hotel should extend its hours ?extra late? and the minibars must stock Coke products.
  • The IOC president shall be welcomed ceremoniously on the runway when he arrives.
  • The IOC members should have separate entrances and exits to and from the airport.
  • During the opening and closing ceremonies a fully stocked bar shall be available. During competition days, wine and beer will do at the stadium lounge.
  • IOC members shall be greeted with a smile when arriving at their hotel.
  • Meeting rooms shall be kept at exactly 20 degrees Celsius at all times.
  • The hot food offered in the lounges at venues should be replaced at regular intervals, as IOC members might ?risk? having to eat several meals at the same lounge during the Olympics.

the only cities still in the running are Beijing, and Almaty, Kazakhstan.

th

I was so happy when Chicago didn't get the 2016 summer games. I remember idiots saying "it'll be sweet. Imagine how much money you'll be able to rent your place to tourists for!"

okay... so I rent my place to strangers from another country, hoping they don't trash/steal anything... and I also have to pay to go live somewhere else for two weeks, presumably far away from Chicago to avoid the price-gouging rates all local hotels will charge, or I'll end up losing money by renting my place out. And you just know they're going to find a way to dump some huge portion of the costs of the games on the local taxpayers.

it's a sham.

So are they just going to cancel them that year?

it's looking like it's going to be Beijing by default.

maybe the prestige-conscious Chinese will drop out as well, knowing that it's not "cool" to host the Olympics anymore.

other than the IOC themselves, the only people in who will miss them are the athletes and Bob Costas. and maybe a bunch of marketing people.

Back