Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jimmy G got paid BIG!

Damn aftet only 7 starts ...crazy, crazy crazy money in sports .

More details are coming out. He will get almost 90 mil in the next 3 years

Been trying to tell half the board this for months now. If an organization likes the QB that's on the roster and he's a potential franchise QB, then that guy is getting paid

7 fuckin starts.

Wow.

They REALLY didn't want him to leave SF. I don't think he's great, either.

This is partially why I had no issue with Stafford's contract. It's going to be eclipsed in no time.

This is partially why I had no issue with Stafford's contract. It's going to be eclipsed in no time.

That's one issue I had - that QB's are just making too much cash. I'd be curious about Foles (edit: just saw he has a year left with Philly, 7m) and Keenum and what kind of money they might get.

Last edited:
That's one issue I had - that QB's are just making too much cash. I'd be curious about Foles (edit: just saw he has a year left with Philly, 7m) and Keenum and what kind of money they might get.

Keenum, Bridgewater and Bradford are all free agents...I think they had a practice squad QB signed...that's it. Will be interesting to see how the Vikes handle this. Keenum is going to cash in I think, but will it be in Minny? Bridgewater...everything out of Minny says they like him and his recovery from the knee blowout. But he and Bradford? Big injury history. So...who do you pay?

QBs do make cash, and I hate to say it but it's the nature of the beast. If you got one you want to keep around, you got to put the proverbial ring of cash on that finger.

LOL wow 7 starts new highest paid in the NFL they’ll end up regretting that but it’s there money blow..always nice to see other teams doing stupid things

To be fair he has almost as many wins against over .500 teams as the second highest paid QB in the league.
Jimmy has 4 vs Stafford with 6.

To be fair he has almost as many wins against over .500 teams as the second highest paid QB in the league.

I know this means nothing but I'm curious why Jimmy vs Stafford instead of Jimmy vs Matt or Garoppolo vs Matt?

Jimmy G isn't even a top 25 QB....

But this is how the NFL works. The 49ers love/like him. That's all that matters

Last edited:
I remember getting ripped apart by some people when I said that Stafford actually cut the Lions a deal when he signed his deal. He could have gotten much more had he made them tag him and he knew it.

That being said I think Cousins gets close to 30 mil per year because he will have several teams bidding against themselves.

I remember getting ripped apart by some people when I said that Stafford actually cut the Lions a deal when he signed his deal. He could have gotten much more had he made them tag him and he knew it.

That being said I think Cousins gets close to 30 mil per year because he will have several teams bidding against themselves.

Stafford's deal saved a few milly

Also risky, a regression to pre-JBC Stafford and could cost him some money. Or injury could have done the same.

You could make the case many QBs would benefit from a year to year contract, but it's football and risky. Taking largest contract ever at the time is not giving a deal. Contracts get larger as the cap goes up, this is known by everyone. There was no "hometown" discount here.

Jimmy G's contract actually doesn't look too bad, the 49ers have a lot of flexibility after year one.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-14472/

Very low bonuses after year one, dead cap is almost nothing if things don't work out. The year one cap hit is huge, but the 49ers have plenty of room for it.

you are right. Everyone looks at the big numbers but it's the guaranteed money that matters.

"The $48.7 million guarantee at signing is only $1.7 million more than Andrew Luck got two years ago, and it's 1.3 million less than the SIGNING BONUS Matthew Stafford got on his contract extension last year."

Back