Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Renewable energy

Gulo Blue

The future's so bright, we need to wear shades.

RevNow2016%20wind.png

solar%20utility3.jpg

revnow2016%20residential.png

LEDupdated2.png

RevNow2016%20EVs.png

RevNow2016%20total.png

http://www.energy.gov/articles/6-charts-will-make-you-optimistic-about-america-s-clean-energy-future

About 80% of the lightbulbs in my house are now LED. A little pricey at first but I love that I wont have to change them for 10 years or so. (appliances, and a couple halogen lamps, plus the florescent tubes in my workshop are all the non-LED I have left)

Tried CFL's before that and dumped them and went back to incandescent bulbs because the CFL's tend to have a slight flicker and sometimes a hum on top of the weird color temperature they6 give off making everything look strange. (compared to soft-white bulbs)

I never really compared bills yet to see how much I'm saving though.

i've had bad luck when buying LED brands I've never heard of though.

they don't last very long. in fact I just changed one in my closet that i installed when we moved in meaning it can't be older than 10 months. it's a "utilitech" brand bulb.

Fuck you, utilitech.

i've had bad luck when buying LED brands I've never heard of though.

they don't last very long. in fact I just changed one in my closet that i installed when we moved in meaning it can't be older than 10 months. it's a "utilitech" brand bulb.

Fuck you, utilitech.

The whole industry may have done themselves a disservice by not making it clear that most bulbs get hot and require ventilation. Unventilated, they only last a few months. I think there are some bulbs now that can handle it, but I think most still can't

We were all set to go solar this previous spring but decided we are going hold off until we buy our next (final?) house next year. Threw the 10k in a 12 month CD so we didn't take a spontaneous trip to Ireland instead...

The whole industry may have done themselves a disservice by not making it clear that most bulbs get hot and require ventilation. Unventilated, they only last a few months. I think there are some bulbs now that can handle it, but I think most still can't

hmmm. this particular bulb was in a glass dome fixture that surrounded it completely.

i replaced it with a traditional incandescant bulb.

our house has a lot of recessed light fixtures. the kind where you screw the more flattened shape bulbs directly in, with no cover over them. those shouldn't retain as much heat. i think i'll stick to incandescants though for fixtures with glass enclosures then.

i think i'll stick to incandescants though for fixtures with glass enclosures then.

I still stick with incandescents for enclosed fixtures, which is most of them.

I even heard someone say a cheap LED melted an old plastic fixture. I don't think it's the actual LED that gets hot, it's the power electronics that converts AC to whatever DC the LED needs.

Back