Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NYT report on the number of 1%ers at each college

Michchamp

Link. The report lets you add colleges and universities to see where they rank in terms of the number of students from the 1% (ie family income > $650K/year.)

unsurprisingly, smaller private non-profit colleges (eg Wash U in StL, Colgate, Swarthmore, etc. have the highest percentages of students from the 1%.

UM ranks relatively high for a public university (79th), with a whopping 9.3% of its students from the 1%, (and only 16% of the student body from the bottom 60%). Higher than other comparable public ivies (UVA, Cal, UCLA, UNC).

Michigan State comes it at 294th (only 2.6% of their students are rich fucks) ... Ohio State at 379th (2%). these schools don't have lots of rich kids.

We do. Yay!
YYU_hwII.jpeg

actual conversation I had one year in college:

Dumbass kid from Malibu: "Dude why don't you come to Acapulco with us this year?"
Champ: "No money. I'll be on campus working that week."
Dumbass: "No money? You live right across the street from an ATM. Fuckin' tell your parents to wire money into your account."
Champ: "No, the problem isn't... that... uh... nevermind."

I don't think the data was displayed in a very effective manner so as to be comprehensible.

I knew a kid whose Dad is known on Wall Street as the "clean Bernie" and who had a two-story apartment on the upper east side and went to Dalton School. He used to pay the bar tabs at Rick's and take cash from all of us ...until we realized his Dad was paying the CC bill every month, so he was essentially just pocketing our money.

I also recall a couple bitchy girls in Theta whose daddies were Hollywood producers.

But my friend from 'downriver' who is now the 32nd ranked Hedge Fund Manager in Barron's makes an eight-figure income, his kids if they went to UM would be in this 1% demo, but he comes from very meager means..

Same with my son ..if he could get in from out of state (well, he'd be a 2%'er). We were on Gov't stamps when I was in 3rd grade and living in a roach infested apartment in Evanston, IL.

As someone who taught undergrads at UM for two years and attended pretty recently for undergrad and grad school.... this isn't a surprise at all. The share of incoming students broken down by parental income is available somewhere if you dig enough (in broad income categories of course). I was under the impression the stark disparities were more recent--could be wrong though.

As someone who taught undergrads at UM for two years and attended pretty recently for undergrad and grad school.... this isn't a surprise at all. The share of incoming students broken down by parental income is available somewhere if you dig enough (in broad income categories of course). I was under the impression the stark disparities were more recent--could be wrong though.

it's relative, but the stark disparities have been there for a while (they sure seemed stark to me ~20 years ago), but with the way income disparity keeps increasing... I can only imagine what its like now!

Well, you could say Michigan is reducing the disparity...but not enrolling poor students.

Michigan is also only public school with high out of state percentage - about 35% on Ann Arbor campus

Since financial aid not as robust for out of state and tuition mich higher, tends to get more wealthy students in that out f state percentage

Michigan is also only public school with high out of state percentage - about 35% on Ann Arbor campus

Since financial aid not as robust for out of state and tuition mich higher, tends to get more wealthy students in that out f state percentage

Their own website days estimated tuition for residents is $15k, non residents is $45k. It's the same for me as many others, I saw the costs and didn't even bother to apply. I think it was somewhere around $35k back then so still too much for me to want to take on.

Friends (UM 85) just sent his son to noter dame and said tuition for out of state at UM was equal to nd private tuition.

Friends (UM 85) just sent his son to noter dame and said tuition for out of state at UM was equal to nd private tuition.

Duke too. $45k vs. $47k

Except at Duke or Notre Dame, you're talking about 6,500-8,500 undergrads. Michigan has 30,000 undergrads.

Last edited:
Duke too. $45k vs. $47k

Except at Duke or Notre Dame, you're talking about 6,500-8,500 undergrads. Michigan has 30,000 undergrads.

Doesn't the higher undergrad count enhance a guy's chances of gettin' laid?

Or does it stay the same because there are just as many more dudes out chasing that tail for themselves?

Or does it stay the same because there are just as many more dudes out chasing that tail for themselves?

Well you have to consider the Catholic school girl factor at
NDSucks. Higher percentage of girls that are willing I'd guess.

You know, I'll bet there's a difference, but I'm not sure what it is. Occasionally, I'd read student newspaper opinion pieces at Duke and one year there was a continuing dialog about how 1) the female population were significantly better catches than the male population, 2) 'effortless perfect' was expected of them all the time, and that those 2 things combined with the 'hook up culture' of the time meant combined to make the Duke experience lousy for young women.

It'll be different at every school. If your a Midwest guy, just go to a southern school and you'll be in the money. Southern girls love us Midwest guys for some reason. It could be the fact that the majority of us don't have that dumbass, coiffed comb over haircut going across our forehead.

It'll be different at every school. If your a Midwest guy, just go to a southern school and you'll be in the money. Southern girls love us Midwest guys for some reason. It could be the fact that the majority of us don't have that dumbass, coiffed comb over haircut going across our forehead.

that and the lack of the dumbass southern accent.

The "Catholic school girl" thing is overrated.

I would still rather send my kid to Michigan than ND. better environment, better facilities, better people. smaller class size is overrated

Back