Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Philadephia 4 Detroit 2 Final

biggunsbob

I will get the preview tomorrow but I do not think we have won in Philadelphia since the Stanley cup wins over them..

preview..

The Philadelphia Flyers finished up a road trip in successful fashion, but they're still on the brink of their worst home start ever.

They've had little problem beating the Detroit Red Wings at home over the last 17 years, however.

Trying to avoid opening with four straight home losses for the first time, the Flyers look for a ninth consecutive home victory over the Red Wings on Saturday night.

Philadelphia (2-3-2) won twice on a three-game trip, finishing with a 5-3 victory over Pittsburgh on Wednesday. The Flyers held the Penguins to 25 shots -- 11.8 fewer than their season average coming in -- after surrendering 43 shots in a 4-0 loss at Chicago a night earlier. They outshot Pittsburgh 26-14 over the second and third periods.

The teams were tied at two until R.J. Umberger and Matt Read scored two minutes apart early in the third period.

"Coming in here tonight and beating a good team on their ice to finish off a road trip, to me that shows a lot of character," Umberger said.

Claude Giroux assisted on Umberger's goal as well as Mark Streit's first-period goal, pushing his assist total to seven. Giroux has three goals and five assists in his last four games versus Detroit.

The Flyers haven't fared as well at home, however, going 0-1-2 with shootout losses to Montreal and Anaheim. It marks only the third time they've lost their first three home games, joining the 1999-00 and 2008-09 clubs. They've never dropped their first four home contests.

Philadelphia has outscored the Red Wings 33-13 in winning eight straight home meetings since losing Game 2 of the 1997 Stanley Cup final on June 3, 1997.

In a 5-0 home victory on Jan. 28, Steve Mason stopped 33 shots for his fourth shutout in his last 16 starts versus Detroit.

The Red Wings (4-1-2) also come off a victory against the Penguins, knocking them off 4-3 in overtime on Thursday. They trailed 3-1 until Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall scored in the final 2:39 of the third period with Jimmy Howard pulled from net.

Zetterberg set up Justin Abdelkader for the winning goal at the 4:16 mark in overtime. Detroit came up short in overtime two nights earlier in a 2-1 loss to Montreal.

"We just hung around there and I think we got better as the game went on and found a way," Abdelkader said. "It was the last three minutes to get a couple goals, we don't want to put ourselves in that situation because the chances of that happening are pretty slim."

Zetterberg's three points pushed his career total to 730, surpassing Ted Lindsay for eighth on the team's all-time list. He has eight goals and seven assists in his last eight games against Philadelphia.

"It is amazing, but I think it also speaks to how good he (Zetterberg) really is," Kronwall, who also scored in the first period and assisted on Zetterberg's goal, told the team's official website. "He's one of the top guys in the league and has been for years."

The Red Wings are the only team yet to allow a power-play goal, holding opponents scoreless on 21 opportunities. However, they're also just 2 for 27 on their own power play and haven't scored with the man advantage in four straight games.

Philadelphia is one of the best teams on the power play, converting seven of 26 chances with the extra skater (26.9 percent).

Last edited:
Empty netter for the Flyers seals this game up.. Glad we came back the other day. I did not see any of this game...

This was an embarrassing loss. The Wings dominated possession and shots all game. The Flyers scored two goals that the team shouldn't have given up before finally finding the back of the net for the second time. Then the team gives up it's first PP goal of the season that ends up being the winner.

It was a lot like the Penguins game in reverse. The Penguins were the better team most of the game and the Wings came up big at the end to steal it. The Wings dominated this game, but weren't scoring enough with possession/shots and then gave it away with a couple poor goals.

Holland needs to freaking find a goal scorer fast... I hope they were not counting on that kid that got hurt before the season started... Frustrating how we just can seem to find the back of the net..

Back