Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan's next Head Football Coach will be...

bamf_16

I think today cements that UM will have a new head football coach in 2015 (had this fear UM eeks out a win today, wins out until OSU, plays competitive football in Columbus, wins the bowl game to get to 8 wins, and it buys Hoke another year).

The topic came up in the gameday thread, and I'm pasting my response here since it's technically different than what's discussed in the game thread.

================================================

Not to turn this into the coaching candidate thread, but...

-I don't see any way they get either of the Harbaughs, especially if Brandon stays. And honestly, the rest of the athletic department does ok. True, he effed up with ticket prices and student tickets, etc. but unlike Hoke he at least attempts to fix what's wrong. I can see a very real scenario where Schlissel doesn't fire Brandon.

-I don't see a Dan Mullen, Gus Malzahn, or Kevin Sumlin hire.

-I'd be excited about a Les Miles hire, but that's more than a bit of a reach.

-Some other guys with head coaching experience: Cam Cameron, Butch Jones, Mark Stoops, Greg Schiano, Chuck Martin. I'd be ok with any of those but Cam Cameron. Too many high profile failures from him, from HC at Indiana and the Dolphins, to being fired as OC from a team that eventually won the Super Bowl.

-Perhaps a coordinator like Pat Narduzzi or Tom Herman (OSU's offensive coordinator, whose name sounds a lot like Tom Harmon! Just saying!)

-All better options than what UM has now.

If there is no Harbaugh. I really do think someone will force the Miles issue with Brandon. Now, I have no idea if anything will happen, but people will want a proven commodity one way or another.

also brought over

Hope they can find a proven coach who can put up with Brandon if he stays and Hoke goes.

everybody just shut up. it's gonna be Jim Harbaugh. the planets are aligning...

If we get John Harbaugh, those 4-6 recruits will either recommit or better ones will take their place. Jim would likely lose more than those 4-6 and not rrplace with better recruits.

Jim Harbaugh is reportedly going to be unemployed at the end of the season, but that's early January at the earliest. John Harbaugh's team is likely playoff bound, so he wouldn't be hired until perhaps after signing day. Has that ever happened, that a major program was without a coach on signing day?!

Greg Schiano is unemployed right now. Chuck Martin's team isn't going bowling, so he's done in 6 weeks. Same perhaps with Butch Jones.

Though technically, any coach can resign in between the end of the season and a bowl game, Schiano intrigues me. Speculation had always been that he wanted to be Paterno's successor at Penn State, which is partially why he stayed at Rutgers in '08, but with that no longer seeming possible, who knows?

Any chance Brandon or the new AD holds out for one of the Harbaughs without some signed agreement? I just don't see them resigning before the end of their team's season, and waiting until mid-late January to get a head coach is incredibly risky if they say no.

If we get John Harbaugh, those 4-6 recruits will either recommit or better ones will take their place. Jim would likely lose more than those 4-6 and not rrplace with better recruits.

This is a stupid post

Jim Harbaugh is reportedly going to be unemployed at the end of the season, but that's early January at the earliest. John Harbaugh's team is likely playoff bound, so he wouldn't be hired until perhaps after signing day. Has that ever happened, that a major program was without a coach on signing day?!

Greg Schiano is unemployed right now. Chuck Martin's team isn't going bowling, so he's done in 6 weeks. Same perhaps with Butch Jones.

Though technically, any coach can resign in between the end of the season and a bowl game, Schiano intrigues me. Speculation had always been that he wanted to be Paterno's successor at Penn State, which is partially why he stayed at Rutgers in '08, but with that no longer seeming possible, who knows?

Any chance Brandon or the new AD holds out for one of the Harbaughs without some signed agreement? I just don't see them resigning before the end of their team's season, and waiting until mid-late January to get a head coach is incredibly risky if they say no.

Granted it's a retread thread but this OP is most recent and I'm beginning to think Brandon hangs Brady out to dry and then ...

** Forms some diverse head coach hiring committee ...
** Sends the AA members some "personally written" letter and complimentary fridge magnet ...
** Highlights all the NON-FOOTBALL things because, you know, field hockey suddenly matters when football sucks.

DB will stay and get to hire another HC and won't land anyone immediately impactful. Though it sounds draconian, M may be headed into an additional 3-5yrs of mediocrity and rebuilding.

Maybe it's over.

Last edited:
Well Hoke's gone, that's for sure. And probably 4-6 recruits.

Seriously he has out recruited a number of teams and has little wins to show for it
and his players seriously regress under him and his staff..

Granted it's a retread thread but this OP is most recent and I'm beginning to think Brandon hangs Brady out to dry and then ...

** Sends the AA members some "personally written" letter and complimentary fridge magnet ...
** Highlights all the NON-FOOTBALL things because, you know, field hockey suddenly matters when football sucks.

DB will stay and get to hire another HC and won't land anyone immediately impactful. Though it sounds draconian, M may be headed into an additional 3-5yrs of mediocrity and rebuilding.

Maybe it's over.

Eh, my best friend comes from an ND family...grandfather played for Rockne, so that level of passion. They thought "it was over" too after their 3-9 season, finally losing to Navy, etc.

Like I've said time and again, OSU got Meyer, ND got Kelly, Michigan got Hoke. Get the right guy, and with the money, facilities, etc. UM should have no problem coming back.

Same thing with Florida. They'll be back too.

But you bring up an interesting point. A lot of times with coaches, managers, etc. you need a "hard ass" to come in and reestablish the tone, but finding one of those guys who can then transition into the necessary leadership is a tough act. Maybe UM's next HC is a 3-5 year hire who toughens things up and then hands the program over to a better gameday coach. It's one of the reasons I'm more than just ok with Les Miles.

And I think Schiano, Butch Jones, and Mark Stoops could also be guys to come in and in year 1 change the tone, and by year 4 be the gameday coach the program needs.

Maybe it's over.

Exactly my first

Whoever it is I would like to have a HC that is more involved in the game than just standing on the sidelines clapping.

Whoever it is I would like to have a HC that is more involved in the game than just standing on the sidelines clapping.

I know that's the fun talking point, but it's incredibly indicative of the problem with his coaching and leadership style. Lloyd Carr and Rich Rodriguez had incredibly different personalities and personas on the sidelines during games.

But dammit, you knew Lloyd Carr was in charge on gameday and had a handle on what was going on.

It's more than just wearing a headset, it's inspiring those around you either with your flamboyant actions/personality or quiet leadership. And it's tough to do that when your team repeatedly plays with 10 guys on the field and you time and again cost your team points and games with an inability to manage the clock and your timeout situation.

You don't have to be a raving lunatic on the sidelines like a Muschamp or Kelly. Be yourself, and inspire your players on gameday. Hoke does the former, not the latter.

And after that LSU performance today, I have a hard on for the possibility of Les Miles coming to be HC at Michigan. I'd take Miles as HC and Cameron as OC for the next 5-7 years. I'd sign up right this minute.

It's gonna be Les cause I think Jim will go to the Jets or Dolphins. They will be throwing a lot of money his way.

I just think Miles is told old.. Now.. Is he better then Hoke sure...I just don't know..

Depends on what you want/need. Miles will be 61 when next season starts. Spurrier is 69 right now. If Miles wants to come to Michigan and coach for 7-10 years, I think the fan base should embrace what he brings to the football program for what some would consider a relatively short period of time.

Other candidates I brought up were Mark Stoops (47), Chuck Martin (46), Butch Jones (46), Greg Schiano (48), Cam Cameron (53), Pat Narduzzi (48), Tom Herman (39).

The Harbaughs are 52 and 50.

Miles is considerably older than those in this group.

If UM goes with an experienced head coach like Stoops, Martin, Jones, or Schiano, there exists the possibility of 20 years of solidity, of building a program, and of establishing some type of coaching "tree." That means passing on an established coach with a track record of winning in the toughest conference in the country and who beat OSU to win a national title.

I'm ok with the concerns about Miles' age if a younger, established HC can be found to come in and give those 20 years of solidity. But if Miles is pushed aside simply because of age and a far inferior "younger guy" comes in and effs things up further, I'm going have a big case of "told you so's."

No more pansy-ass HC's. I want to see someone on the sideline firing up the players and getting in faces when they need to. I want someone running down the field and lighting fires when he sees refs being dickbags. I watched the Penn State game last night and said to myself on more than one occasion that I'd like to see a coach like theirs on our sideline. He was vocal, in faces, and questioning refs. I see none of that from Hoke. I hate the way that guy "coaches".

Back