Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dave Mirra had CTE

Michchamp

neural autopsy results confirmed it. he killed himself a couple months ago at age 41.

I wonder how many people would continue to play sports that result in your brain being slammed violently around the inside of the cranium hundreds or thousands of times if they were better appraised of the risks?

he's being inducted into the BMX hall of fame this year.

it's so fucked up that the people profiting from the sports most likely to result in CTE are actively trying to bury and stifle research into it, instead of trying to find solutions to protect the athletes. it's short sighted and sleazy. the NFL is probably the worst, but I'm sure not the only organization doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
neural autopsy results confirmed it. he killed himself a couple months ago at age 41.

I wonder how many people would continue to play sports that result in your brain being slammed violently around the inside of the cranium hundreds or thousands of times if they were better appraised of the risks?

he's being inducted into the BMX hall of fame this year.

it's so fucked up that the people profiting from the sports most likely to result in CTE are actively trying to bury and stifle research into it, instead of trying to find solutions to protect the athletes. it's short sighted and sleazy. the NFL is probably the worst, but I'm sure not the only organization doing this.

I think the NFL will do more research or they better because more and more players, young players, gifted players - are getting out. The smart ones.

these athletes know they are putting their body in harms way. Even today....every person who plays football knows exactly what they are getting themselves into and people continue to play.

these athletes know they are putting their body in harms way. Even today....every person who plays football knows exactly what they are getting themselves into and people continue to play.

Because they're paying them a fortune.

I don't suffer from CTE but I have been concussed a number of times in my life and more often from stuff like Dave Mirra did as opposed to playing LB in football.

Funny how an "X Games" athlete is dismissed by the average fan. There was a thread on MGoBrian about Mirra and many of the replies were along the lines of, "stupid stoner biker gets whats coming" as if to say that slamming your head on the halfpipe wall is any different than two players colliding and their heads slamming together in the name of high school Friday night glory.

Funny how an "X Games" athlete is dismissed by the average fan. There was a thread on MGoBrian about Mirra and many of the replies were along the lines of, "stupid stoner biker gets whats coming" as if to say that slamming your head on the halfpipe wall is any different than two players colliding and their heads slamming together in the name of high school Friday night glory.

that's a bizarrely hostile take on Dave Mirra and his situation from teh denizens of MGoStupid.

the research and nature of CTE has only come out recently; not sure how any of these athletes could reasonably foresee it, or (as some others have alleged) "knowingly accepted the risk."

sure it may be obvious that repeated head injuries are dangerous, but the debilitating memory & brain issues occurring so soon after (guys as early as their 30s and 40s seeing problems), depression, suicide risk? not as forseeable as inplied.

Back