Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cespedes traded to mets for 2 prospects

af1991

I was all for trading him to build the farm. Not so much anymore. Keeps us competitive while allowing the pitching staff to develop. Lots of "ifs" I know, but I think Cespedes is a productive and key component that actually wants to be here.

Iggy
YC
Miggy
JD
VMart
Nick
Kinsler
McCann
Gose

I was all for trading him to build the farm. Not so much anymore. Keeps us competitive while allowing the pitching staff to develop. Lots of "ifs" I know, but I think Cespedes is a productive and key component that actually wants to be here.

Iggy
YC
Miggy
JD
VMart
Nick
Kinsler
McCann
Gose

I'm coming around to this line of thinking as well. Just not sure what it will take to sign him. Probably $100m over six years, maybe more.

Keeping him does not keep us competitive. It does the opposite.

He's going to get too much money as a FA, and if we somehow managed to win that bid, we doom ourselves to another giant salary for a single player, which in turn limits the money we have to spend on other free agents and player development.

Miggy, JV, Kinsler, VMart and Sanchez all have large contracts and are going to cost $28, $28, $20($14 salary + $8 to TEX), $18, and $16.8 million respectively in 2016. That's $112.8 million dollars next year just for those 5 players. Add arbitration raises and we just dont have the money to sign Cespedes and still be competitive.

Last edited:
Plus, someone out there will offer more. Too many teams that have more cash flow than we.

The problem is DD is probably not getting offered anything for him. The teams know he wants to be a Tiger, so why even go through the process of giving up something for a 2 month rental that definitely isn't coming back?

Iggy
YC
Miggy
JD
VMart
Nick
Kinsler
McCann
Gose

That lineup is not balanced. It needs Lefthanded hitters.

The problem is DD is probably not getting offered anything for him. The teams know he wants to be a Tiger, so why even go through the process of giving up something for a 2 month rental that definitely isn't coming back?

He is probably the best bat on the market. Most teams know that he is just a 2 month rental. He will be traded today.

I'm all for trading Cespedes and figuring out the rest later. He wants to be back next year regardless, so why not get something back now and then try to resign him later on if we can get him back for a contract that makes sense? I'd have to believe that he'd net us one or two good to very good prospects in this market. He's a difference maker on offense and defense, and someone that most contenders should covet ahead of Upton and CarGo. He puts up as good or better numbers than both and does it in the A.L. CarGo is probably worth more because of his contract, but his hips are an issue that very well may need surgery soon. Cespedes is having a better year than Upton offensively, and his contract is cheaper too. He's hitting about 40pts higher, slugging more, and his OPS is significantly better. The only area where I'd say Upton offers an advantage is with stolen bases.

If they want to keep him they are better off trading him. The team he is with only has a 5 day window to resign him after the world series if not they cant sign him to the start of the year

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

He is probably the best bat on the market. Most teams know that he is just a 2 month rental. He will be traded today.

we got 3 quality pitching prospects for 11 starts of Price, teams know that and they're willing to spend more on wins now vs wins later. we're also gaining payroll flexiblity for next year, if we can start Norris and Boyd for about 1m total payroll next year we have more money to spend on a SP, RP or LF

we got 3 quality pitching prospects for 11 starts of Price, teams know that and they're willing to spend more on wins now vs wins later. we're also gaining payroll flexiblity for next year, if we can start Norris and Boyd for about 1m total payroll next year we have more money to spend on a SP, RP or LF

boy...if they are starting both Norris & Boyd next year they will probably be selling at the deadline again. It would be a miracle if both turn out to be decent next year! Down the road...maybe.

It all depends on if we think we can sign him for a reasonable sum, we've probably talked to him and his agent a little to feel this out. Cespedes turned out to be a much better player than anyone thought, he's a 5 tool player and the type of guy you win with.

If we don't think we can sign him or we don't want to even consider it we should trade him for anything we can get.

Teams trade for guys like this at this time knowing it's for 2-months. If someone wants Cespedes it's not for next year and beyond.

boy...if they are starting both Norris & Boyd next year they will probably be selling at the deadline again. It would be a miracle if both turn out to be decent next year! Down the road...maybe.

they'll be 23 and 25 respectively, how much more time should they have in the minors?

1:32pm: Talks between the Mets and Tigers “reignited” on Wednesday night after there had been little contact between the two clubs, tweets Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, who calls a Cespedes acquisition a possibility for the Mets.

Back