Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ausmus

LGRW_9

I've been away from the boards for awhile, partly because I've been slammed at work and partly because the Tigs have spiraled downward. I've been trying to keep up with the threads but may have missed some comments, so if anyone has made this point already, apologies in advance.

I completely agree with the Tigers being sellers, and so far I like the moves. But one thing that bothers me is that it may take the pressure or spotlight off Ausmus, and I think he's got some things to answer for this season. I agree with those that say the players need to perform and that managers don't make the plays in the field, but I think Brad has mismanaged the pitching staff in at least ten games, probably more. So I just hope DD doesn't just give Brad a flyer since he's trading away some talent. Said another way, if there's a top notch, experienced manager that becomes available this off season, I'd like us to make a change.

I never complained about Leyland....because like you said I tend to think players are mostly responsible. But I just don't see anything from Brad that makes me think he's a really good manager or will be a really good manager. Maybe the better way to say it is...I don't really see how he's helped us win games. This team makes lots of mental mistakes.

If DD is done with the Tigers after this season then I think Brad is absolutely gone as well. The new GM will want to choose his guy. If DD stays with Tigers (which I don't think he will) then I'd say there's a 25% chance Brad keeps his job.

Ausmus manages to not lose games, rather than managing to win games. That is all you need to know.

I can't see Ausmus as a "steadying influence," "mentor," or whatever other vapid, press-word needed to describe a manager who knows how to work with younger players, whatever that means.

Just gimme a manager who wants to manage some ballgames. #TWTM

Last edited:
Ausmus manages to not lose games, rather than managing to win games. That is all you need to know.

Exactly! Well said. This is what drives me nuts with Ausmus. If I hear him in another post game loss talking about not making the most obvious of moves because of what might happen innings later or even the next day, I'm gonna lose it. This team and organization has been so focused on the post season, that they forgot to actually win during the regular season and now we're on the outside looking in. Very frustrating.

TWTM....The Will To Manage?

hawk-harrelson-thumb-320xauto-18776.jpg

"You can't measure a manager's #TWTM."

Last edited:
Ah..another no sense dumb play tonight. We got screwed tonight, Davis was safe-Iggy was blocked at home and still wasn't tagged-and safe at first.

Last edited:
Ah..another no sense dumb play tonight. We got screwed tonight, Davis was safe-Iggy was blocked at home and still wasn't tagged-and safe at first.

How are those on Ausmus? He challenged the Raja call, got them to look at the Iggy play and they were out of challenges in the 9th and he was told it was to close to argue. Should he of gone out, maybe? But there is no way to know if they look at it.

I think Ausmus is in the hot seat and could be fired this year but I don't think if DD is back he is safe. I think Jones is the fall guy at the end of the year.

Last edited:
That is the point though amajmd should he have gone out to talk it over with the crew chief?

Yes what is there to lose?

Nothing

Agree on jones also, has anyone noticed the vast majority of our pitchers all have command issues? Why is that, seems to be a common theme.

How are those on Ausmus? He challenged the Raja call, got them to look at the Iggy play and they were out of challenges in the 9th and he was told it was to close to argue. Should he of gone out, maybe? But there is no way to know if they look at it.

I think Ausmus is in the hot seat and could be fired this year but I don't think if DD is back he is safe. I think Jones is the fall guy at the end of the year.

They aren't, not all of them. But from what I understand the play at first could be challenged and he didn't so that's on him.

They are all on the hot seat, imo. Ausmus, Lamont, Wimpy, and what happens when a pitcher is sent to Triple AAA with pitching coach Mike Maroth?.....not much. He can go too for all I care.
Bring up Mike Henneman from Erie next year.

They aren't, not all of them. But from what I understand the play at first could be challenged and he didn't so that's on him.

He can ask them to review, they can decline. I'm not sure what the ramifications are though with him going out with no challenges.

He did say post game that his reply people said no point in challenging it.

He can ask them to review, they can decline. I'm not sure what the ramifications are though with him going out with no challenges.

He did say post game that his reply people said no point in challenging it.

He needs to ask. And who were these people he was relying on? He's suppose to take responsibility. He's soft and a wimp.

Another one tonight Davis on 3rd pitcher balks...not called, would have scored a run, Brad chirps from the dugout but then accepts it...wimp go out there and get yourself tossed over that shit damit game is almost over anyway go let him have it,,naw too soft

Back