Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Shohei Ohtani

tomdalton22

How great would it be if he could actually be a good starting pitcher and DH or play in the field? I hope he is able to do both. It would bring some new excitement to the game.

Sadly the Tigers will never go after this type of player from over seas. Man he would be exciting to get. I would tell him he is going to pitch and be our dh lol..

How great would it be if he could actually be a good starting pitcher and DH or play in the field? I hope he is able to do both. It would bring some new excitement to the game.

To be a successful, all star type pitcher it takes a lot. I would think playing on his off days, even as a DH, would eventually wear on him.
I'm still weary he could hit major league pitching on a consistent basis.

To be a successful, all star type pitcher it takes a lot. I would think playing on his off days, even as a DH, would eventually wear on him.
I'm still weary he could hit major league pitching on a consistent basis.

yes, everything I hear it sounds like it would be very difficult. On MLB radio they were discussing it. From what they have been saying is in Japan they have a different schedule which is effectively a 6 man rotation. They said he would need to take the day before or after his starts off...maybe both.

It's very unlikely that someone could excel at a high level at both pitching and hitting but it would be great.

Smells like a gimmick to me, but who knows. I doubt he's ever faced the kind of competition he would here in the states. Guys have certainly come here and fared well, but to do both well, I just think if was going to happen(again), it already would have. But what do I know. I personally would not be the team lining up to experiment but I will gladly watch. LOL

From a "stuff" standpoint, he grades out higher than Tanaka on everything. So that is a plus by itself.

From a hit prospective, he grades out higher than Matsui. 500 foot HRs are still 500 foot HRs. Sure, it might take him longer to adjust to MLB pitching, so who knows.

And yes, he is not anticipated to play every day. 5 times a week is what everyone is thinking. Not too much less than the playing time of most MLB catchers.

Money isn't suppose to be an issue. He is looking for more than monetary reward. The Tigers lack the culture and direction to recruit him. They just might be last on the list of 30 teams.

3 AL and 4 NL

5 West Coast teams
The Rangers (Darvish)
The Cubs

As usual, Jim Bowden from MLBNetwork got it wrong. He guaranteed he would go to the Yankees and said he had "inside" info.

yea...I heard him on Friday saying that the Yankees and LA Dodgers were the leading candidates due to outside marketing possibilities. He mentioned any team that landed Darvish could have an opportunity as well.

yea...I heard him on Friday saying that the Yankees and LA Dodgers were the leading candidates due to outside marketing possibilities. He mentioned any team that landed Darvish could have an opportunity as well.

I doubt Darvish gets signed anywhere before Ohtani..

3 AL and 4 NL

5 West Coast teams
The Rangers (Darvish)
The Cubs

As usual, Jim Bowden from MLBNetwork got it wrong. He guaranteed he would go to the Yankees and said he had "inside" info.

I also heard "..And according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, Ohtani apparently prefers a smaller market on the West coast."

Might be completely wrong but doesn't that eliminate most of those team?

I also heard "..And according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, Ohtani apparently prefers a smaller market on the West coast."

Might be completely wrong but doesn't that eliminate most of those team?

Market Size (reverse order)

26. San Diego Padres

23. Seattle Mariners

14. San Francisco

**12. Detroit Tigers

8. Texas Rangers

7. LAD

6. Chicago Cubs

5. LAA

If I was a betting man, and I am not, it looks like Seattle. Ichiro Part Deux.

Market Size (reverse order)

26. San Diego Padres

23. Seattle Mariners

14. San Francisco

**12. Detroit Tigers

8. Texas Rangers

7. LAD

6. Chicago Cubs

5. LAA

If I was a betting man, and I am not, it looks like Seattle. Ichiro Part Deux.

I wonder if they still have a big Japanese following. I'd like to see him there. Or San Diego.

Last edited:
you never know. If he is a legit starter they are probably right in WC consideration. Plus, they get Richards back. All they need now is a second baseman and the Tigers will be more than willing to give them Kinsler.

you never know. If he is a legit starter they are probably right in WC consideration. Plus, they get Richards back. All they need now is a second baseman and the Tigers will be more than willing to give them Kinsler.

1 playoff in 8 years. Under .500 last year and that was with a high payroll and the best player in baseball. As far as Ohtani, sometimes a pitcher from Japan does good, other times not so much. Especially year 2-3.

This guy is off to an amazing start.

He has started 2 games.

2-0 record. 13 Innings, 4 hits, 2 walks, 18K, ERA of 2.08 WHIP 0.46

4 games as a DH

Hitting .389 .421 OBP 1.310 OPS, 3 HR, 7 RBI

Back