Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What's causing running game woes

What's causing running game woes

• Oc playcalling

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Oline

• Rbs suck

• Total voters
I went with rbs suck. I say keep Riddick on and find a replacement for Abdullah.

I’m not sure the Lions have properly mastered the RBBC that’s become more popular in recent years. They don’t have a versatile RB good enough to be a reliable and productive workhorse (though not as common today), nor do they have complementary skill sets at the position to make RBBC work (as evidenced by the horrid short-yardage struggles). I think Riddick is a good piece to the puzzle, but Abdullah just isn’t unique enough (I don’t know how else to put it). That’s not to say that Abdullah is necessarily bad, but I’m just not sure what his role here is exactly.

Rather than saying the RBs are bad, I prefer to call it a personnel issue. Sure the o-line and play calling could be better, but I just don’t see a coherent plan at RB and I think that’s a big factor in their struggle to effectively run the ball. Would love to see a power back here, doesn’t do anything flashy but fights for yards when they need em.

Its all cooter. He runs the dumbest run scheme I've ever seen giving the offense 0% chance of being successful at consistently running the ball.

The nfl is fast... and we do 1 of 2 things when attempting to run:

1) run long developing stretch plays

2) run long developing draws from the pistol

80% of our run plays are doomed before they start. Abdullah could absolutely be successful in a straight ahead run scheme between the tackles. Believe it or not that's where quick/explosive backs get their big plays. Cooter is an idiot. Stafford is awful at checking into good running situations.

This is also why I'm not a big believer in early round rbs. Fucking Walter Payton would average 2 ypc running pistol draws and sweeps the entire game.

Last edited:
Injured Oline. They will gel and have a good game on Thursday. Abdullah 100 yards incoming

Injured Oline. They will gel and have a good game on Thursday. Abdullah 100 yards incoming

I will bet you a 3 month self imposed ban that Abdullah will not hit 100 yards Thursday. Put your money where your mouth is little boy.

You in?

Abdullah all purpose or rushing. Abdullah had 94 rushing in Week 4 against Minnesota and 109 all purpose yards from scrimmage. You better observe better little boy and not act like it's impossible like a fucking retard

Abdullah all purpose or rushing. Abdullah had 94 rushing in Week 4 against Minnesota and 109 all purpose yards from scrimmage. You better observe better little boy and not act like it's impossible like a fucking retard

so take his bet, little boy

Last edited:
I'm between O-Line and Playcalling/scheme.

Too many times our RBs are making their first evasive move 1-2 yards in the backfield. I'm still of the opinion that this backfield has the talent to succeed. Just look at the last two opponents the Lions faced. Crowell and Howard looked all world because they weren't meeting resistance until they were already 1-2 yards beyond the LOS. The Lions rarely create those situations.

I already won the bet as Abdullah has 109 yards in Week 4 against the Vikings. So he needs to pay me

That wasn't with me.

You in? 3 month self imposed ban to the loser. Abdullah 100 yards rushing.

Let's go!

There are no running game woes in final 6 games and playoff run. Can't wait

Oc play calling
Oline
Rbs suck
Oline coach and his shitty run block scheme. Look at the linemen we lost in FA, they're doing great with their teams running and passing games. But they couldn't block a highschool kid here. That tells me it's coaching.

Back