Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MNF - Pats vs Dolphins

boogerlovejoy

Couple things....

1. Can we PLEASE use some of our cap space to sign Suh once the Dolphins cut him? Still dominant.

2. Brady just threw a very un Brady like INT. Bad throw.....even worse decision. That doesn't happen often.

3. I wish we had a small speed receiver. We lack that dimension in our offense.

Last edited:
Couple things....

1. Can we PLEASE use some of our cap space to sign Suh once the Dolphins cut him? Still dominant.

2. Brady just threw a very un Brady like INT. Bad throw.....even worse decision. That doesn't happen often.

3. I wish we had a small speed receiver. We lack that dimension in our offense.

I don't want someone still stepping on someone else's neck. Plus he'll want a fortune.

So after they rattled off all the names the pats have lost to injury/suspension.... yet they are the #1 seed. How exactly would lkp explain that?

Last edited:
I don't want someone still stepping on someone else's neck. Plus he'll want a fortune.

I'd rather have him than another year on Ngata. He will want a fortune.....but sign him and add a big time DE in the 1st round and our line instantly goes from bad to good. No other player would do that.

Edelman, cannon, bushrod, gronk, gillislee

Hightower, Van noy, Harris, flowers, mclellin

How can you over come that? ....oh an actual elite qb that doesnt make excuses. Weird.

Last edited:
Edelman, cannon, bushrod, gronk, gillislee

Hightower, Van noy, Harris, flowers

How can you over come that? ....oh an actual elite qb that doesnt make excuses. Weird.

In all honesty......they have the actual greatest coach and QB in history. The two most important positions on the team and they have the GOAT at each spot.....hard not to win games at that point.

Absolutely love the way Miami uses those WR on bootlegs.

You watchin Jim Bob?

In all honesty......they have the actual greatest coach and QB in history. The two most important positions on the team and they have the GOAT at each spot.....hard not to win games at that point.

193-55 with Brady (77.8 winning %)
54-63 without Brady (46.2 winning %)

QBs matter more than anything in this league.

I see Stafford is 58-64* in the regular season

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-records.html?type=reg&alltime=

*-Actually 122-0, losses can be attributed to injuries, officiating, weather, etc

Not sure it's really fair to judge Matthew Stafford on his overall record. He took over the worst franchise in all of sports, at 21 years old, and a team that was 0-16. What was he supposed to do in his first few seasons??? He's 55-54 after his first two years. While that isn't great....consider we haven't have ANY coaching stability, at OC or HC, in his entire career and it's likely he'll have another OC and HC soon. The QB's considered the best in the NFL have had the same head coach most of or ALL of their careers. Brady, Rodgers, Ruthlessraper, Wilson, Brees (same since he got to NO). It's no coincidence that the better QB's have stability in their offense to the point THEY essentially become the OC. Stafford has had 3 OC's in 9 years and is set for another soon.

He's been asked to go from a gunslinger, Brett Favre type, QB under Linehan, to a west coast style very complex offense under Lombardi to a .......whatever it is JBC runs.

IMO.....we need an OC that wants to let Stafford be himself. He needs to let it go downfield more often. More of a Linehan style offense. Would he throw more INT's......probably. But I'm ok with that IF it leads to a more effective offense.

I was mostly joking. He came into one of the shittiest situations, then couldn?t stay healthy, but finally managed to do quite well for himself. I don?t think he?s elite, but the Lions could do much worse, as shown in the previous decade.

IMO.....we need an OC that wants to let Stafford be himself. He needs to let it go downfield more often. More of a Linehan style offense. Would he throw more INT's......probably. But I'm ok with that IF it leads to a more effective offense.

I?ve always wondered how much they held him back in this offense. A drop in ints doesn?t necessarily mean better decision-making, the same can be achieved with less risk-taking, and I wonder what the balance there really is. I think they initially focused on cutting down on his bad throws, but I wonder now whether he plays ?too safe? at times.

I was mostly joking. He came into one of the shittiest situations, then couldn?t stay healthy, but finally managed to do quite well for himself. I don?t think he?s elite, but the Lions could do much worse, as shown in the previous decade.

I?ve always wondered how much they held him back in this offense. A drop in ints doesn?t necessarily mean better decision-making, the same can be achieved with less risk-taking, and I wonder what the balance there really is. I think they initially focused on cutting down on his bad throws, but I wonder now whether he plays ?too safe? at times.

Plus, I just think he's a better QB now than he was in 2011 or 2012. It's a natural progression. You can even look at Brady's numbers in his first 5 full years. About 61% completion percentage, about 26 TD's and 13 INT/year. He was a good QB on a GREAT team. Then, the light bulb goes on for him and he explodes into the GOAT for the next decade. He was about 30 at that time.

Hopefully, the light goes on for Stafford like it did for Brady!!!

You put Stafford in McVays offense.....I think you'd see Stafford jump into the elite status.

Brady, Rodgers, Ruthlessraper, Wilson, Brees (same since he got to NO). It's no coincidence that the better QB's have stability in their offense to the point THEY essentially become the OC. Stafford has had 3 OC's in 9 years and is set for another soon.

He's been asked to go from a gunslinger, Brett Favre type, QB under Linehan, to a west coast style very complex offense under Lombardi to a .......whatever it is JBC runs.

This is the debate you can always have.

Do they have coaching stability because they are Elite QBs? Or did all the elite QBs just happen to have great coaches?
Winning keeps coachs, elite QBs win, therefore elite QBs have long term coaches. At least that's how I view it.

Been saying for a long time. It's almost like they're afraid of the INT. It's okay to have 15-18 INT if you're getting 40 TD's. Like 2011, that guy becomes a potential hall of fame guy. Not an Alex Smith guy.

Last 6 years, including 2017, only 1 season he has 30+ TD. We don't have the defense to win with an Alex Smith type QB.

Been saying for a long time. It's almost like they're afraid of the INT. It's okay to have 15-18 INT if you're getting 40 TD's. Like 2011, that guy becomes a potential hall of fame guy. Not an Alex Smith guy.

Last 6 years, including 2017, only 1 season he has 30+ TD. We don't have the defense to win with an Alex Smith type QB.

He played the same way in 2012 and finished with 20 TDs and 18 INTs. 29 and 19 INTs in 2013.

If you could guarantee 2011 Stafford, I'm sure everyone would take that. But there isn't much history to support that wasn't the odd ball year.

2015, 2016 and 2017 Stafford has been better then 2012 and 2013 Stafford. I think we are close to the right path with him. We just need to improve our defense this upcoming year (mostly D-line).

Stafford has gotten to a place where you can win with him, and occasionally can win you a game. He's no longer losing many for us. We just need a better defense. This year, when defense plays well we win, when it doesn't we lose. Stafford is Alex Smith..hes not Rodgers..that's okay. At least he isn't Cutler anymore.

This is the debate you can always have.

Do they have coaching stability because they are Elite QBs? Or did all the elite QBs just happen to have great coaches?
Winning keeps coachs, elite QBs win, therefore elite QBs have long term coaches. At least that's how I view it.

I can see that. But here's a good example of how I see it.

As I mentioned, Brady's average season from '01 - '06 was roughly 61%, 3800 yards, 26 TD and 13 INT and a rating right around 88. They win 3 Super Bowl titles with essentially a good QB. He explodes in '07.

In 2008 Brady goes down. Cassell comes in and goes for 63%, 3700 yards with 21 TD and 11 INT and an 89 rating. Very "Brady like" numbers in the NE system to that point. They go 11-5 but miss the playoffs in a stacked AFC that year. Was Brady really that great to that point, or was he in a system where even average QB's like Cassell can win games and put up decent numbers??

I think it goes hand in hand. The truly great coaches/GM's build great teams around their QB's....and with winning comes consistency in everything from draft strategy and free agent signings to offensive philosophy.

Either way, Stafford has never seen any stability and part of that is certainly on him.....but lets not pretend that we've had any decent teams supporting him, either. He isn't Brady or Rodgers and he probably never will be, but I believe you can win a Super Bowl with Matthew Stafford as your QB.

Last edited:
He played the same way in 2012 and finished with 20 TDs and 18 INTs. 29 and 19 INTs in 2013.

If you could guarantee 2011 Stafford, I'm sure everyone would take that. But there isn't much history to support that wasn't the odd ball year.

But guys get better, even after 5,6 years. Brady used to throw 13 or 14 picks a year.....now its 5-6. He's played in the same system for his entire career. You just get more comfortable when your so familiar with your offense you've run each play you call hundreds of times.

I don't think you'd see 2012 or 2013 Stafford again. (I say that knowing he threw 2 STUPID passes Sunday) Maybe I'm wrong. I think #9 belongs in a more vertical offense.

I can see that. But here's a good example of how I see it.

As I mentioned, Brady's average season from '01 - '06 was roughly 61%, 3800 yards, 26 TD and 13 INT and a rating right around 88. They win 3 Super Bowl titles with essentially a good QB. He explodes in '07.

In 2008 Brady goes down. Cassell comes in and goes for 63%, 3700 yards with 21 TD and 11 INT and an 89 rating. Very "Brady like" numbers in the NE system to that point. They go 11-5 but miss the playoffs in a stacked AFC that year. Was Brady really that great to that point, or was he in a system where even average QB's like Cassell can win games and put up decent numbers??

I think it goes hand in hand. The truly great coaches/GM's build great teams around their QB's....and with winning comes consistency in everything from draft strategy and free agent signings to offensive philosophy.

Either way, Stafford has never seen any stability and part of that is certainly on him.....but lets not pretend that we've had any decent teams supporting him, either. He isn't Brady or Rodgers and he probably never will be, but I believe you can win a Super Bowl with Matthew Stafford as your QB.

Well it was a slightly different game in 2001-2006. There wasn't a single year that Tom Brady didn't finish in the top 10 in QB rating.
It's just flat out easier to play QB now.

In 2001 there was 1 QB with a 100+ rating (Warner at 101.4)
There were only 5 QBs above 90.

This year there is 6 QBs over 100 and 17 over 90 rating.

So a statistically average QB now, would have been a statistically top 5 QB 16 years ago.

I'll take the best QB in the league over the best coach in the league.

Back