Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

John Farrell out after five seasons as Red Sox manager

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20988965/boston-red-sox-manager-john-farrell-return-2018
John Farrell out after five seasons as Red Sox manager.
espn

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2...t-managing-mismanaging-chris-sale-david-price
Red Sox fire John Farrell amidst another LDS exit. informative.
A lack of pitching depth and some questionable management from John Farrell cost Boston a trip to the ALCS. Their former skipper paid the price.
BeyondTheBoxscore

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2017/1...rs-manager-search-boston-red-sox-john-farrell
Brad Ausmus could be a good fit for the Boston Red Sox.
But, no, the Tigers should not hire John Farrell.
BYBTB

Last edited:
Redsux will want to make a statement, and Varitek and Ausmus aren't. They will go after a hotshot potential manager who is outside their organization, IMO.

Not a surprise but stupid. I'd take him here..

Last edited:
the Red Sox let Terry Francona go too.

Not very patient

Last edited:
Francona lost the respect of his players. They were playing cards during the game.

Tom quoted:
I seem to remember that but not the details.

While playing cards during the game(s), they were eating chicken and drinking beers.

Last edited:
Sounds more like spoiled millionaire baseball players than a HC problem.

A bit of both Mitch. Most of the people here and a close friend who follow them all say Farrell, with plenty of experience, made some stupid mistakes with lineup order, lefty/righty matchups, and bullpen.

A bit of both Mitch. Most of the people here and a close friend who follow them all say Farrell, with plenty of experience, made some stupid mistakes with lineup order, lefty/righty matchups, and bullpen.

No doubt but as a fan I don't want to see players playing cards and drinking beer when they shouldn't be. Just like any pro player in any sport they never realize who pays them.. Us.

BLUF....most managers do very similar moves in similar situations. So given like talent, most managers have little to no impact on winning "more" games. Where they do have an impact, is losing respect of the players. Not putting them in situations to win. Not adhering to fundamental baseball (baserunning mistakes). The totality of which causes apathy and losing. Ausmus and Farrell are a breed together. Sure, talent wins most times. The Dodgers won despite Walter Alston and him having a role in early retirements of Koufax (30) and Drysdale (32). Even Tommy John has his surgery while employed by the Dodgers under Alston. And yet, some will cite that Alston was a Hall of Fame manager and look at his winning record. Given the same talent, Mickey Mouse could have been a Hall of Famer.

i'm going to laugh my ass off if Dave hires Brad as their next Manager. I hope he does, that would make my day

What about Dave Martinez? He coached under Madden right in Tampa Bay ? I want a young guy like him... Brad in Boston would be classic. Need to keep DD away from another ws title.

Last edited:
Back