Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander's first start with the 'Stros

unless your mom can see into the future...we don't know what the players they got in return will become.

He's Justin Verlander. I wonder if you even realize how good he is.. You need to get back a star, not might be useful someday.

he could have if he wanted to...but he chose to leave

Stupid reply.

Verlander was openly being shopped, Avila even made it clear they wanted to move him....so I don't blame Justin for accepting the trade, who wants to play for an organization that wants to get rid of you?

The fault is with the Tigers front office and C. Illitch, they should not have been shopping him in the first place, they should have remembered what he has done for this franchise, what he has accomplished, and the caliber of pitcher we all still knew he was, regardless of what his numbers were at, and most importantly, his value to the fanbase.

Stupid reply.

Verlander was openly being shopped, Avila even made it clear they wanted to move him....so I don't blame Justin for accepting the trade, who wants to play for an organization that wants to get rid of you?

The fault is with the Tigers front office and C. Illitch, they should not have been shopping him in the first place, they should have remembered what he has done for this franchise, what he has accomplished, and the caliber of pitcher we all still knew he was, regardless of what his numbers were at, and most importantly, his value to the fanbase.

I'd say the 200m that the Tigers have paid him in his career is fair payment for what he's done for the franchise.

I'd say the 200m that the Tigers have paid him in his career is fair payment for what he's done for the franchise.

I suspect he brought more than that back in ticket prices, merchandise sales - and his charity in Birmingham and Detroit etc.

Stupid reply.

no, it was a factual reply.

The organization was faced with a difficult decision and they made the correct one. The organization is in the situation it is in now, not because of C. Illich, but because of his dad. His dad mortgaged the long term future for one championship that didn't materialize. Now they are paying the price.

no, it was a factual reply.

The organization was faced with a difficult decision and they made the correct one. The organization is in the situation it is in now, not because of C. Illich, but because of his dad. His dad mortgaged the long term future for one championship that didn't materialize. Now they are paying the price.

You know they can afford him, right? The Tigers losing money for the Ilitch's is like me losing $20. Look at the teams with low payroll.. They don't do it because they can't afford it. C. Ilitch didn't have to do a thing. Add on the fact the best they got was the 46th best prospect in all of baseball.. and 2 guys that aren't even top 100.

You know they can afford him, right? The Tigers losing money for the Ilitch's is like me losing $20. Look at the teams with low payroll.. They don't do it because they can't afford it. C. Ilitch didn't have to do a thing. Add on the fact the best they got was the 46th best prospect in all of baseball.. and 2 guys that aren't even top 100.

how exactly do you replenish the depleted farm system without trading established players?

Bottom line is they didn't lose $20 bucks last year, they lost 36.4 million bucks. Comparing that to you losing a 20 spot is like saying your net worth is $3400. That is just silly. No business owner will just willy nilly lose that amount of money year after year and be ok with it. Trust me I was mad/sad to see JV go. But what is the point of keeping him around? No chance in hell we compete in the next 3-4 years anyway. We are the new Phillies. I also understand being upset about the return but none of the guys have even made it to AA yet, so let's give them time to develop.

Bottom line is they didn't lose $20 bucks last year, they lost 36.4 million bucks. Comparing that to you losing a 20 spot is like saying your net worth is $3400. That is just silly. No business owner will just willy nilly lose that amount of money year after year and be ok with it. Trust me I was mad/sad to see JV go. But what is the point of keeping him around? No chance in hell we compete in the next 3-4 years anyway. We are the new Phillies. I also understand being upset about the return but none of the guys have even made it to AA yet, so let's give them time to develop.

$3400 net worth? Did you forget some zero's or somethings, that's not much at all (I get what you meant now). Never said willy nilly .. But Ilitch's are billionaires. They make money, big money every year - and that includes the Tigers loss profits.

As far as your question Tom, draft. And then draft some more. Most likely the Tigers' will be poor for sometime until they decide to spend more money. Or get a better GM, and better scouts. The team we have now, and that includes the whole organization, won't win next season or 5 years from now or maybe even 20 years from now.. Unless they draft better (it's slightly better than the Lions playoff losses). Or decide to spend again.. Last 35 years the draft picks are few hits, and many many misses. Trading JV made us a worse team next year as well as 5 years from now.

Last edited:
Net worth is assets minus liabilities. The fact I have a net worth above $1 Mil, does not mean I can absorb a $2,000 loss. Times 1,000 = $1 Bil net worth and $2 Mil loss. $36 Mil loss is 18 times that. Mike Illitch only had a $6 Billion net worth. BLUF...it would be the equivalent to me losing $6,000 a year, year after year. Believe me, I might do it one year, but not 6 out of the last 9. And hardly the same as $20.

Net worth is assets minus liabilities. The fact I have a net worth above $1 Mil, does not mean I can absorb a $2,000 loss. Times 1,000 = $1 Bil net worth and $2 Mil loss. $36 Mil loss is 18 times that. Mike Illitch only had a $6 Billion net worth. BLUF...it would be the equivalent to me losing $6,000 a year, year after year. Believe me, I might do it one year, but not 6 out of the last 9. And hardly the same as $20.

He had 36m loss with the Tigers. How about all his other holdings.. He' not losing money off his net worth. It's not like it's going from 6B to 5.96B.

As far as your question Tom, draft. And then draft some more. Most likely the Tigers' will be poor for sometime until they decide to spend more money. Or get a better GM, and better scouts. The team we have now, and that includes the whole organization, won't win next season or 5 years from now or maybe even 20 years from now.. Unless they draft better (it's slightly better than the Lions playoff losses). Or decide to spend again.. Last 35 years the draft picks are few hits, and many many misses. Trading JV made us a worse team next year as well as 5 years from now.

I agree that trading JV made them worse this year and probably next year as well. But they were going to be bad next year anyway. You say the Tigers will get better through the draft. They essentially got two first round picks and a 3rd with the trade except they are all further along in their development. As far as trading JV making the Tigers worse in 5 years...I don't see your logic there.

He had 36m loss with the Tigers. How about all his other holdings.. He' not losing money off his net worth. It's not like it's going from 6B to 5.96B.

Yes he is diminishing his net worth.

Net worth = assets - liabilities.

But that is his net worth, not his salary. And you never "lose" off of net worth, if you don't sell. Personnel net worth does not necessary correlate with franchise value. At least directly.

But back on point. There was absolutely no cause to trade Justin Verlander. His value transcends his payroll hit. Which is still at heart of this debate. The whole thought that you have to have a "fire" sell in today's baseball is misguided. Where the Tiger's finances out of whack? Yes, of course. Certainly in regards to value to player.

Happy to see him do well and hopefully he gets that ring that he had zero chance of getting by staying here the next few years.

Back