Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. angels 8-27-16 Game 129

Tigers RF J.D. Martinez said he simply told home plate umpire Mike Everitt he was having a bad day. Asked him to own up to it. Surprised by short leash that led to his first career ejection.
espn

Tigers RF J.D. Martinez said he simply told home plate umpire Mike Everitt he was having a bad day. Asked him to own up to it. Surprised by short leash that led to his first career ejection.
espn

If that is indeed what was said, let's hope it leads to some mlb repercussions for Everitt.

Ausmus: "If he's going to call those pitches on our hitters, we need those pitches called on their hitters. That's really the gripe."

Ausmus: "Mike Everitt's a professional. I've known him for years. I thought he had an off night tonight but I'm no way concerned about him."

Mike Everitt afterward said: "All of the players, as well as the manager and coaches were warned and, sometimes, more...I will be filing my report with the Commissioner's office in New York."

JasonBeck

Dialogue between J.D. Martinez and umpire Mike Everitt, as told by J.D. Martinez (using his exact words).
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cq6i8nWVUAA1r4l.jpg:large

The ump baited him into the ejection.

Sorry...the ump didn't bait JD at all.

JD is up there to get on base - not to critique the ump on his night.

Tigers won five in a row before tonight.

Just focus on starting a five game winning streak tomorrow, and continue with five game winning streaks, and the Tigers will be fine.

The Tigers problems are not the fault of the umpires.

Sorry...the ump didn't bait JD at all.

JD is up there to get on base - not to critique the ump on his night.

Tigers won five in a row before tonight.

Just focus on starting a five game winning streak tomorrow, and continue with five game winning streaks, and the Tigers will be fine.

The Tigers problems are not the fault of the umpires.

That may be the case in a blowout but this was a a 3-2 game where a walk here or there may have made a difference .not a better hitters count. UMP does in fact play a part..

?I don?t know, man, he had a short leash today, I guess,? J.D. Martinez said after the game, via Matthew Mowery of the Oakland Press.

?I just told him he?s having a bad day. Honestly, that?s what I said.

?You?re having a bad day today, huh??

And he goes, ?What?d you say?? I said, ?You?re having a bad day today? and he?s like, ?You?re gone.?

I said, ?Why am I gone??

He said, ?Because you said it twice.?

I said, ?You asked me what I said.?

I was shocked,? J.D. Martinez said of his first career ejection. ?Yeah, I was kind of laughing at first.

I was walking away and I was like, what just happened? Did I just get ejected? Hold on, what did I do? That was it.?

?I don?t know, man, he had a short leash today, I guess,? J.D. Martinez said after the game, via Matthew Mowery of the Oakland Press.

?I just told him he?s having a bad day. Honestly, that?s what I said.

?You?re having a bad day today, huh??

And he goes, ?What?d you say?? I said, ?You?re having a bad day today? and he?s like, ?You?re gone.?

I said, ?Why am I gone??

He said, ?Because you said it twice.?

I said, ?You asked me what I said.?

I was shocked,? J.D. Martinez said of his first career ejection. ?Yeah, I was kind of laughing at first.

I was walking away and I was like, what just happened? Did I just get ejected? Hold on, what did I do? That was it.?

That's it? That ump is nuts. Talk about having thin skin, and for an umpire no less. He took out 2 of our best hitters in a 1 run game which turns out to be a costly loss to a team where every game from here on out is a big deal.

Victor earned his ejection but JD in no way should have been tossed.

I still blame JD. The ump already ran 3 guys for running their mouths. You are only hurting your team by getting ejected.

there really weren't any egregious calls. Looks like only 3 or 4 outside the dash line. The thing that stands out to me was what I was talking about last night. Look at all of the wild pitches thrown by the Tigers (mostly by Fulmer). He was missing the zone by over 12" on a regular basis

Have another look. This is a weighted graph; the strike zone begins 1.5 feet above ground. Regulation is 1.75 feet. And some of the wildest pitches were thrown by the Angels pitchers, though Fulmer's rash of wild pitches in that inning and a half or so are clearly there. Still, the Tiger's inability to adjust and their poor reaction (Victor in particular) were completely counterproductive, and I don't see the slightest sign of any extra energy in their playing in the next game up to this point.

Have another look. This is a weighted graph; the strike zone begins 1.5 feet above ground. Regulation is 1.75 feet. And some of the wildest pitches were thrown by the Angels pitchers, though Fulmer's rash of wild pitches in that inning and a half or so are clearly there. Still, the Tiger's inability to adjust and their poor reaction (Victor in particular) were completely counterproductive, and I don't see the slightest sign of any extra energy in their playing in the next game up to this point.

If you don't mind can I ask, did you make a name change? I usually recognize everyone's name but clueless on yours.. Thanks.

Back