Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Boardwalk Empire final

biggunsbob

Why can't shows stick to at least a little bit of history? I know nucky was a darn dick and shows take license with real life characters but I was really disappointed with the final episode and final season. ...

I actually liked the ending even though it wasn't historically accurate. As for the final season, I agree 100%. It was definitely a let down in comparison to the rest of the show. I had read that the show got killed off early and somewhat unexpectedly because it was very expensive to shoot, and Terrence Winter is going to start working on another series about '70s rock and roll, so they rushed to tie everything up in the last eight episodes instead of the normal twelve episodes per season. I believe that they had originally planned at least two more seasons of the show, and instead gave us 2/3 of one. That definitely made it feel unfulfilling in a lot of ways when certain storylines just evaporated with a gunshot or no closure in some cases.

I'm a huge fan but have yet to see the Series Finale (missed it Sunday)

This final season has been awkward, but also pretty clever in tying up the prequel side of the first four seasons and jumping ahead in time 10yrs. Tough to do but they've tied up a good amount of historical accuracy.

True, the costumes and set design were very expensive. Which also explains all the Emmys over the years for both categories!

I also did like the flashback part of the final season... But they clamored about how they were using historical characters and total gaffed completely when it came to actual history in the end.. That is what I liked about the show... In the creative license of a tv show we had real life characters we could look up and read about.. What a letdown..

the story was loosely based on Nucky Johnson but not 100% accurate. I thought what you were thinking, that he'd survive. I thought prohibition would be repealed, capone would go to jail, Joe Kennedy would come back and Nucky would end up being a legal bootlegger. of course it didn't happen that way but it wasn't as bad as an alternate ending for Capone or Luciano which were 100% historical characters.

The flashbacks ended up making sense, it was an elaborate setup of Nucky's demise. It was his chickens coming home to roost, he sold Gillian to the commodore for the sherrifs position, he was told by the assistant "you understand this is charity" when he was selling Gillian into sex slavery. Of course then Jimmy is the bastard chiled and Tommy the grandson who completes the circle. You thought something like that could happen when he was talking to the commodore earlier and some young girls came to sing a song and he made some comment about how sweet it was to see the young girls. you could see the young nucky looking with a little disgust at that moment. He knew what was going to happen and sold out with full knowledge.

I thought it was good to flashback to the kid swimming in the ocean trying to catch quarters, which was just how the season opened.

I liked the finality and the way they tied up the loose ends, this was the opposite of the sopranos at least.

I actually liked the ending even though it wasn't historically accurate. As for the final season, I agree 100%. It was definitely a let down in comparison to the rest of the show. I had read that the show got killed off early and somewhat unexpectedly because it was very expensive to shoot, and Terrence Winter is going to start working on another series about '70s rock and roll, so they rushed to tie everything up in the last eight episodes instead of the normal twelve episodes per season. I believe that they had originally planned at least two more seasons of the show, and instead gave us 2/3 of one. That definitely made it feel unfulfilling in a lot of ways when certain storylines just evaporated with a gunshot or no closure in some cases.

I think it as a good time to end, with fans wanting more. I've watched shows that I couldn't wait until the ended, they stayed on 1-2 seasons too many. That wasn't the case here, I thought it was well written and gave you closure at the end. I like how this season began and ended with the same scene, not a lot of loose ends.

The real Nucky Johnson ended up also doing time for Tax evasion.

Johnson was paroled on August 15, 1945, after four years in prison, and took a pauper's oath to avoid paying the $20,000 fine (equivalent to $262,000 in 2014).[2]

After his release from prison, Johnson lived with his wife and brother in a house owned by relatives of his wife on South Elberon Avenue, Atlantic City.[1][2] There was speculation that he would seek elected office, but he never did.[1] Instead, he worked in sales for the Richfield Oil Company, and, with his wife, for Renault Winery.[1] During these years, Johnson and his wife would sometimes attend local political dinners or rallies, where they would be seated at the head table.[1] He continued to dress impeccably, including a red carnation in his lapel.[1] Johnson steadfastly supported Farley's leadership, and in 1952, when the Farley organization faced a particularly strong election challenge, Johnson campaigned on his behalf in Atlantic City's predominantly black Northside area, where Johnson remained popular.[3]

Now that would have been something.. Making TV Nucky work a real job..
I understand why they shot him... I just didn't like it...

Okay, so I saw the Finale last night and now see how it ends.

I like it. I get the frustration with the historical innaccuracies but to have Tommy Darmody come back and whack Nucky is good theater and ties in with the way that Nucky first betrayed Jillian.

I also appreciate the Al Capone courthourse scene and similarity with the scene from Goodfellas where Henry Hill goes off to jail.

Incredible show. Loved every episode.

Back