Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spartans Playoff Ranking

Tonight's FSU/UL game may be one of the most important games for MSU this year

Tonight's FSU/UL game may be one of the most important games for MSU this year

I'm really surprised that FSU is only a 4 point favorite. I expect that they will win by double digits and bet it as such....so they won't!

I'm really surprised that FSU is only a 4 point favorite. I expect that they will win by double digits and bet it as such....so they won't!

I'd say 40% chance FSU loses tonight, this isn't last years team. A loss would be huge for MSU's chances

I'd say 40% chance FSU loses tonight, this isn't last years team. A loss would be huge for MSU's chances

A lot of money has been moving towards UL. It opened at FSU -8.5 and now down to -3.5 at most sites. That is a huge drop.

I don't see how UL pulls it off, but I'll be rooting for them. FSU's signature win this year is Notre Dame, who has no signature wins so far, and might not even be that good. An FSU loss further weakens the ND case as well. So if FSU does lose, and we beat OSU, I think we have the better resume.

1 loss for FSU probably does nothing for us and it probably won't happen anyway. What we need is the 1 loss teams ahead of us to lose another game and FSU probably isn't losing 2 games. Every team ahead of us that loses a second game will automatically fall behind us if we keep winning.

Last edited:
1 loss for FSU probably does nothing for us and it probably won't happen anyway. What we need is the 1 loss teams ahead of us to lose another game and FSU probably isn't losing 2 games. Every team ahead of us that loses a second game will automatically fall behind us if we keep winning.

I disagree. Looking at FSU's total record, they only play three good teams all year. Clemson and UL are both top 25, but neither are even top 20. Nebraska is better than both of those teams. FSU's best win is ND, who is top 10 based on having one loss, but who has lost to the only still ranked team on their schedule. OSU is easily comparable (again, this is all based on MSU winning out).

If FSU loses to UL, we could have equal caliber wins (OSU=ND, Nebraska=Clemson) wile having a much higher caliber loss (Oregon>>>UL). It may not work out that way, but I think it's a very viable case.

Personally, I think FSU wins out, so I don't think it will matter.

I disagree. Looking at FSU's total record, they only play three good teams all year. Clemson and UL are both top 25, but neither are even top 20. Nebraska is better than both of those teams. FSU's best win is ND, who is top 10 based on having one loss, but who has lost to the only still ranked team on their schedule. OSU is easily comparable (again, this is all based on MSU winning out).

If FSU loses to UL, we could have equal caliber wins (OSU=ND, Nebraska=Clemson) wile having a much higher caliber loss (Oregon>>>UL). It may not work out that way, but I think it's a very viable case.

Nebraska isn't better than Clemson or UL. Nebraska has played one of the easiest schedules in the country. They have played one top 25 team all year (MSU) and lost. They likely won't play another unless they make the BIG 10 championship game.

Wheels falling off for Louisville. Up 24-21 still, but FSU with all the momentum.

I don't disagree that we should pass them but I don't see it happening. Either way, we will get way more out of one loss teams ahead of us losing a second game than we will if miss st or fsu loses a game.

By the way, I have Louisville moneyline +150 tonight. Unfortunately I have it parlayed with the Cavaliers -13.

Last edited:
Nebraska isn't better than Clemson or UL. Nebraska has played one of the easiest schedules in the country. They have played one top 25 team all year (MSU) and lost. They likely won't play another unless they make the BIG 10 championship game.

UL has lost to every ranked team it played, including Clemson. They also have a third loss against an unimpressive Virginia team. Clemson's signature win is over UL, who probably won't be ranked by the end of the year. Meanwhile they were stomped by Georgia and lost to FSU without Winston.

What difficult schedule have these ACC teams played? The ACC is just as bad as the Big 10. They have one good team (FSU) that is running through the conference unimpeded and that's it. Everyone else will be lucky to stick in the top 25 by the end of the year. At least Nebraska beat all the teams they were supposed to beat (unlike UL). You can make a case that Clemson's schedule is comparable to Nebraska (both lost to top 15 teams, neither have a signature win), but Nebraska still has the better record.

too bad FSU won but I did read something on rivals that made sense. they said that if FSU lost they still would be ahead of MSU in the rankings and it would have elevated UL to where they could contend with us. UL still has to play ND later this year, hopefully they could beat them.

too bad FSU won but I did read something on rivals that made sense. they said that if FSU lost they still would be ahead of MSU in the rankings and it would have elevated UL to where they could contend with us. UL still has to play ND later this year, hopefully they could beat them.

Is that a joke? You could have read that part about FSU not falling below us right here without subjecting yourself to nonsense like UL being elevated to a position where they contend with us - they already had 2 losses. If we win out, there is no way in hell we would have to worry about a 2 loss ACC team unless you're talking about them contending with us for a top non-playoff bowl spot - but even then it would only be a concern if we also lost a second game in which case we would be behind a lot of other 2 loss non-playoff teams anyway.

Again, what needs to happen is 4 or maybe even all 5 of the one loss teams ahead of us have to lose again. Either undefeated team would have to lose twice unless they got beat by the worst team in their conference, then 1 loss might do it.

Last edited:
FSU tried to give that game away but UL couldn't capitalize. FSU is in unless they lose 2 games. 2 spots taken IMO (FSU & SEC champ)

State maybe getting a favor done if Auburn beats Mississippi. Ole Miss has the weaker schedule after thsi game with only Miss St left where as Auburn still had Georgia and Alabama. If Auburn beat Miss that takes them out. then georgia or bama can take out Auburn

Back