Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

General Sports Board?

grandy

Would anyone be in a favor of a General Sports Board in the Sports section?

Perhaps it could involve merging all the general boards we already have plus the Misc. Sports board. None of these boards are incredibly active, but together they might generate more traffic and discussion. Sometimes it feels like this forum has too many sections.

A few reasons why I'm suggesting this
- Some sports-related topics simply don't belong to a particular sport and could easily be discussed here
- Having it's own area at the top of the Sports section could increase visibility to all posters on this board, maybe we could see discussion between posters who normally don't venture out of their particular subforum
- The board would essentially change based on what day/season it is, for example, Saturday would probably be dominated by heavy college football talk, Sunday would involve pro football talk, etc. etc.
- While technically this is a Detroit sports forum, I doubt everyone here is a fan of every Detroit sports team, this could be a good place for existing members to talk about their favorite non-Detroit teams and could be a welcoming place for new non-Detroit fan members
- If we wanted to, we could even include general Michigan/Detroit news in this forum as well (to be honest, I don't know where this discussion happens on here, if at all)

Just a suggestion I thought of today, feel free to add on if you wish, or shoot it down. I just think it would be an interesting experiment and a way to consolidate this place a little bit.

Not a big fan of it, having to scroll from college sports or NBA type threads to get to what I'm interested in. But I won't object if admin decides to throw them all together.

I don't know about the other section since I only read the Lions but I really don't see a need for the NFL general section at all. These threads can just go right in with the Lions page since there aren't very many post going in general anyway.

They have 12 pages of thread in NFL General. IMO, breaking up is good. Otherwise we'll have all sorts of stuff to weed through. You guys make it sound like it takes forever to get where you want to go..it takes less than a second to go from Lions to General and back again.

I prefer keeping the General boards for each sport separate, just as they are. If the Pistons were strong contenders ala the late 80s and mid-00s, then their and the NBA General board would likely be a bit more active, IMO.

Seems like the MLB and NFL General board have certain periods during the year when their activity increases outside of the regular season, such as during the Winter Meetings and during ST for MLB, The same goes for the NFL around the draft.

Its too bad that itappears that many if not most hardcore NHL/Red Wings fans did not also migrate to the original and short-lived forum or this one when ESPN began to screw around with its membership by implementing their poorly reformatted and supposedly more "robust" forums that appeared to mimic the Facebook model-template, and IMO, was something that a female executive @ Disney would foist upon its overwhelmingly male membership.

Of course many of us soon realized what was inevitably going to happen when ESPN began to require a Facebook membership to post under their scribes' articles, As we all know now, they recently eliminated ALL of the team and general boards for each sport, and as a result greatly reduced the amount of traffic to their website, as well as the amount of time each member or lurker spends browsing it.

Back