Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018-19 Salaray Cap Increase Projection

NHL predicts a 3 million raise in the salary cap for the 2018-9 season.

This is indeed great news for a team like Detroit up against the cap with many young players to re-sign.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-salary-cap-to-rise-at-least-3m-for-2018-19-1.938437

Not sure I see it as great news since everyone else gets the same 3m.

As far as caps going up I'm a big proponent of not raising the cap. All sports do it and the one thing that comes from it is higher ticket prices, in-game food prices, merchandise etc. Granted the NHL is less so because they have a lower cap then other sports but eventually even the NHL with have 100+ million caps.

Cap is supposed to based as percentage of revenue.

Without the 3 millions it would have been a struggle to fit Mantha, Larkin, and Athanasiou to contracts in the summer. Sure, Mrazek's 4 million will be gone because he will be too expensive to qualify and will go elsewhere as a UFA.

On the otherhand, he might try to keep Green instead of trading him at the deadline.

Already with the new arena I am unwilling to spend that much money on tickets.

Back