Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mount Rushmore of Detroit Lions: The Four Greatest Lions Players of All-Time

Why's that? When we are trying to craft a Mount Rushmore, it's damn near impossible to pick 4 Lions because there are 2 elite, 1 really great, and then a bunch of solid options.

That is EXACTLY what I meant. As much as I love the Lions, when you think about the franchise from 1960-present.....it's sad how few truly great players we've had.

A lot of really good players.....but few great. An 88 year old franchise SHOULD be able to fill a couple Mt. Rushmore's.

Oh well.

I go Barry, Schmidt, Megatron and Lem Barney

That is EXACTLY what I meant. As much as I love the Lions, when you think about the franchise from 1960-present.....it's sad how few truly great players we've had.

A lot of really good players.....but few great. An 88 year old franchise SHOULD be able to fill a couple Mt. Rushmore's.

Oh well.

Yup, I totally understood what you meant and can absolutely see why it's seen as a bad thing.

Why's that? When we are trying to craft a Mount Rushmore, it's damn near impossible to pick 4 Lions because there are 2 elite, 1 really great, and then a bunch of solid options.

And that's a bad thing? Ok lol

Oh well.

This franchise goes further back than that.. I suppose you might think they're just good but these guys could be considered as part of the great group.. Charlie Sanders .. Voted on the all 70's team. HOF. As a TE in his era he was pretty damn good. One of the best.. I have to agree with Robert Porcher. Hell Mel Gray. For his position not too many better.

Last edited:
Um... Yes?? That is a bad thing.

How the fuck so?! There are multiple options that could go on that mountain and you're looking for the negative?! Lol. Dude, give your fkn head a shake lol.
A bad thing.....lmao. Fkn classic

How the fuck so?! There are multiple options that could go on that mountain and you're looking for the negative?! Lol. Dude, give your fkn head a shake lol.
A bad thing.....lmao. Fkn classic

Look at Boogers comment. Look at mine. You'll understand what we are talking about, I hope.

Look at Boogers comment. Look at mine. You'll understand what we are talking about, I hope.

I understand but don't agree lol. The Lions have had multiple great players roll through. That's why it's harder for me to pick a solid 3. Yes, there are the great ones like Barry but there's also a ton of good to great players as well that belong up on that rock. Calling it a bad thing is typical negative Lions fan IMO. Fucking appreciate what we have instead of whining about what other teams have. It's so Lions fan...lol

USA Today names top 3 players in Lions history.
Do you agree with their list?
In honor on the NFL?s 100th seasons, USA Today is going around the NFL and naming the top three all-time players from each franchise. The NFC North got their turn today, including the Detroit Lions.

Running back Barry Sanders, linebacker Joe Schmidt and wide receiver Calvin Johnson Jr. were named the top three, respectively.

Sanders was one of the all-time NFL rushing leaders before he walked away from football in 1999. He also led the team to its only playoff win since the NFL merger, when he ran all over the Dallas Cowboys back in 1991. He was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in 2004.

Schmidt played for Detroit from 1953 to 1965. He later coached for the team between 1967 to 1972. In 1973, he was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame.

Johnson is the most recent addition to the list. The receiver played in Detroit from 2007 to 2015. He set the NFL record for most receiving yards in a season in 2012 with 1,964 yards. Johnson is not yet eligible for the Hall of Fame, but he will most likely be inducted once he is on the ballot.

Notable names that missed the cut include quarterback Matthew Stafford, tight end Charlie Sanders, Night Train Lane, Lem Barney, and Yale Lary among others.

POD

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-patriots-steelers-cowboys-niners/1985602001/
NFL 100: These are the best players in the history of each NFL franchise.
USAToday

Back