Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sit, stand, kneel, or do whatever you like for the National Anthem

My brother - he's white - has been sitting during the anthem at Broncos games for years ....years. He's gotten dirty looks from time to time and does not applaud when they go to the "military salute of the day" (which looking back was bought by taxpayer dollars), showing some member of the military at the game for free. I have always stood but have always respected his choice; which goes back to the Obama admin. if not W.

He just doesn't feel "respect" for the government and many of its policies/decisions.

I wonder what shit he'll hear/see now if he does it..

Last edited:
I was at the michigan Cincinnati game and the guy I go with sat. There his season tickets. He asks me to go to one game a season ... He did it without telling me . I didn't have a problem with it I just wish I would have known ahead of time. There were a few dirty looks we didn't talk about it during the game I asked him why after the game and he just said it was his way to resist. He is white. He said it was only his second time he has done it.

Last edited:
I was at the michigan Cincinnati game and the guy I go with sat. There his season tickets. He asks me to go to one game a season ... He did it without telling me . I didn't have a problem with it I just wish I would have known ahead of time. There were a few dirty looks we didn't talk about it during the game I asked him why after the game and he just said it was his way to resist. He is white. He said it was only his second time he has done it.

when we went to the UF game, it didn't come up because we were still drinking beers.

I read today that prior to WWII, they didn't play the national anthem at sporting events. back in those days, I guess no one valued freedom and everyone "disrespected the flag."

they were too busy hustlin' back then. bootleggin' and what not. dancing the jitterbug and the charleston before games.

The point no one brings up is in Trumps little tiny mind....hes just doing this to piss off the NFL. Its one of the only major public losses hes had in his life. He spent millions to sue the NFL just so he could win $1. Great business move moron! I think he saw an opportunity to create chaos in the NFL and loved the idea of stoking the fire. At the same time he got to rile up a bunch of his confederate, skin head supporters. It was a win win.

Last edited:
He's doing this to distract people from something else. Probably the private email hypocrisy.

I wonder how many Independents and moderate Republicans allowed the email scandal, and the fact that there was an open FBI investigation into it, to tip the scale for them. I'd hate to wish depression on anybody, but I hope they're paying attention and this all hits home appropriately.

I do think Trump has managed to stop the Black Lives Matters NFL protest. Now if someone kneels, they are seen as protesting Trump.

hmmmm... so the league and owners were more or less unified in opposition to Kaepernick's protest. then Trump comments, and now you see complete cretins like Dan Snyder (not kneeling tho) and Jerry Jones out there with their players, and Roger Goodell, Bob Kraft, etc issuing statements condemning Trump.

I don't know if the league's PR people could've actually convinced Trump to make the statement he did, but they sure were ready to capitalize on it!

I kinda feel like this is all going to backfire on them though, and/or get a lot messier. too many people are paying attention now. as much as they want to make the story about Trump and Free Speech, there are still articles coming out on the racial issue and angle. so I don't know if ownership's attempt to co-opt the protest will succeed

they shoulda just met in July or August and had someone agree to sign Kaepernick as a backup... no more bad PR, and it would undermine claims teh league is racist.

What's werid is Clinton's email scandal was front page news on the New York times for months if not years and yet when Trump's team appears to have this problem it's on page 18 of the so called liberal media lol !!!!

Last edited:
these protests are leading to some really dumb, unintentionally hilarious moments.

that Steelers lineman who Republitards started cheering for and buying up his jersey has now come out and said he didn't intend to oppose the protest, and only meant to stand in the tunnel for a bit, but walked out too far, realized he was on camera with the anthem playing, and decided he couldn't go back in without looking even worse than he did.

like something out of a Naked Gun movie

The connection of the protest and the National Anthem is the issue/problem. Players are using the moment to protest. I guess the question is why the NFL allows that when most other workplaces discourage or even prohibit political expression and even discussion. The NFL is being very selective in its enforcement of public displays of expression of opinion here. This is the league that fines players for wearing their socks wrong.

Last edited:
these protests are leading to some really dumb, unintentionally hilarious moments.

that Steelers lineman who Republitards started cheering for and buying up his jersey has now come out and said he didn't intend to oppose the protest, and only meant to stand in the tunnel for a bit, but walked out too far, realized he was on camera with the anthem playing, and decided he couldn't go back in without looking even worse than he did.

like something out of a Naked Gun movie

He's an NFL lineman who evaluates spatial differences better than almost any person alive? Yet he can't tell the difference between the space inside the tunnel and outside the tunnel?

Do you actually believe that?

It's bullshit. He's saying that to placate whatever teammates might be pissed off at him for not joining them in their protest.

He's an NFL lineman who evaluates spatial differences better than almost any person alive? Yet he can't tell the difference between the space inside the tunnel and outside the tunnel?

Do you actually believe that?

It's bullshit. He's saying that to placate whatever teammates might be pissed off at him for not joining them in their protest.

I believe him, yes.

I believe him, yes.

No way. I heard a report yesterday that he was getting some blowback from teammates and the organization.

There is no way he did anything other than what he intended to do all along, and what he's saying is bullshit to cover his ass.

EDIT: Three tours of duty with the military and then he's in the NFL, but he can't tell the difference between walking out of the tunnel and not walking out of the tunnel?

Please. A guy that unaware of his surroundings would never have come back from the war.

Last edited:
No way. I heard a report yesterday that he was getting some blowback from teammates and the organization.

There is no way he did anything other than what he intended to do all along, and what he's saying is bullshit to cover his ass.

EDIT: Three tours of duty with the military and then he's in the NFL, but he can't tell the difference between walking out of the tunnel and not walking out of the tunnel?

Please. A guy that unaware of his surroundings would never have come back from the war.

I believe him.

Jerry Jones taking a knee before the anthem last night ....minutes later Trump tweeting about Puerto Rico owing Wall Street money, having a dilapidated infrastructure and essentially blaming the people for their circumstance.

The equivalent of kicking a defenseless dog in response to getting bad news. Jerry Jones - scum that he is - ain't as dumb as Trump ...far smarter and more successful and a former player who UNDERSTANDS THE LOCKER ROOM AND IMPORTANCE OF UNITY.

He probably earned the 'respect' of every player last night and gave Donny the middle finger.

Sad.

Jerry Jones taking a knee before the anthem last night ....minutes later Trump tweeting about Puerto Rico owing Wall Street money, having a dilapidated infrastructure and essentially blaming the people for their circumstance.

The equivalent of kicking a defenseless dog in response to getting bad news. Jerry Jones - scum that he is - ain't as dumb as Trump ...far smarter and more successful and a former player who UNDERSTANDS THE LOCKER ROOM AND IMPORTANCE OF UNITY.

He probably earned the 'respect' of every player last night and gave Donny the middle finger.

Sad.

and he's playing each and every one of them.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that congress failed on healthcare yet again.

Back