Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Random Red Wings Notes

The Gordie Howe Trophy - Awarded to the World Hockey Association's Most Valuable Player. Attached plates list the award's annual recipients: 1972-73 Bobby Hull, 1973-74 Gordie Howe, 1974-75 Bobby Hull, 1975-76 Marc Tardiff (former Michigan Stag), 1976-77 Robbie Ftorek.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Excy2EWVIAUoJhj?format=png&name=900x900

1970's Gordie Howe Advertising Poster for Paramount Leaf Blowers. Gordie was a great choice as he had been an expert at manhandling the Leafs from Toronto! Maple leaf.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExcwdSwVIAc9vqb?format=jpg&name=large

Swedish league ended regular season play, will try to get a summary of Wings currently in the league.

Watched a clip earlier which refers to Seider's mastery of the reverse hit as offensive tackle. Don't know why but it cracks me up.

Nemeth to Colorado for a 4th

Ryan likely out rest of season. Loves Detroit so much he pulled a Green.

Montreal acquire: Merrill

Detroit acquire: Verbeek (son of Pat?), and 5th round pick [2021]

Nice story about Bruce Martyn, 91 years young (married 70 years now). I found a snippet that made me laugh when he was talking about Budd Lynch

https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-detroit-red-wings-voice-165828541.html

On his relationship with fellow broadcaster Budd Lynch:

?Although we were right near each other in the broadcast booth, we were never together on the same broadcast because we alternated with each other on radio and television. We got along famously and were like two very close brothers who laughed a lot and had a great time together. I have a lot of Budd stories. Although he lost his right arm in World War II, he used to make cracks about it and so did others, good-naturedly. One time, we were on the bus with the team after a big loss and it was dead quiet. All of a sudden, from the back, Alex Delvecchio says, ?Hey, Budd, we have a question for you. How do you wind your watch?? Of course, Budd and the whole team cracked up. Budd was a pretty good golfer, but I always told him that he couldn?t keep score because he couldn?t count past five fingers.

Quoted part is funny.

Seider was awarded SHL's 'Top Prospect Award'.

This might be a rookie of year kinda thing.

Detroit finished 20 in score defense big improvement. 2 outliers for next season, 1 defense was helped by some 1 year vet free agents this season, Stahl for one (he was awesome) and will probably be gone. And the fact we only played 7 different teams so it might have made it easier for us in that regard.

Some yes, either way the strategy of dumping the puck doesn't work. For years now.

I've not seen this team play very much, so I can't evaluate it (even if I were an experienced evaluator of hockey talent at any level). But the "dump and dig" approach does seem rather "privative" and "remedial" on its face. Maybe there is some level of nuance that eludes me.

Back