Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Slow Cookin the Ink way

OK. It's a busy week, but you've got me wanting to make the time to do this.

I'll cook my bacon in the oven though. When I'm adding bacon to a recipe rather than just eating it alongside some breakfast, oven bacon is just easier. You do it all at once rather that a skillet-full at a time.

I prefer my bacon done in the oven. I lay it on a cookie sheet wrapped in foil, and then place it in the cold oven. Set the temp for 400 and the timer for 20 minutes, and come back to perfect bacon.

In this case though, because of the need to reclaim some of the grease, I find the dutch oven easier to work with. Pouring the grease off the cookie sheet is... well.. I'm not that coordinated.

I prefer my bacon done in the oven. I lay it on a cookie sheet wrapped in foil, and then place it in the cold oven. Set the temp for 400 and the timer for 20 minutes, and come back to perfect bacon.

In this case though, because of the need to reclaim some of the grease, I find the dutch oven easier to work with. Pouring the grease off the cookie sheet is... well.. I'm not that coordinated.

I have something I call a cookie sheet, it's the size of a cookie sheet, but it has a lip on the edges deeper than most. Enough to hold the grease and pour from the corner.

slow cookin' is good and all, but do you have any recipes (particularly for game watching) those of us in a hurry can try? I'm looking at those long lists of ingredients & preparations & thinking there's no way I have the time or space for that right now. yes... i realize this may require a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
slow cookin' is good and all, but do you have any recipes (particularly for game watching) those of us in a hurry can try? I'm looking at those long lists of ingredients & preparations & thinking there's no way I have the time or space for that right now. yes... i realize this may require a new thread.

So, I only recently figured out what carbonarra is. I've been messing around with different ingredients, but the main trick is letting hot noodles cook your eggs. Boiling water is the slowest part.

You cook up some pasta. For every 4 oz (dry) of pasta, you can cook up to 1 egg (I've seen 2 eggs per pound, I usually do 3 eggs per pound. At some point you're eating some raw egg if you go too far though. It also depends on how much cheese you use and how cold it is.) While the pasta is cooking, you mix up shredded cheese, egg, and spices. When I drain the pasta, I don't use a colander (I think you'd lose a lot of heat.) I pour the water out, using tongs to hold back the noodles. Leaving a little water in the pot is fine. Then, as fast a possible, you pour in the egg/cheese mixture and mix/toss it with your tongs. Don't let it sit. Dump it in and work it around immediately. Finally, add some chopped up (already cooked) sausage or bacon or something.

You can look up a recipe to get recommended spices and such, but I keep trying different variations on this and it's usually successful. Like you can add just a touch of some tomato sauce to get a pink sauce. I once put some leftover pumpkin sauce in it. But the basic trick of mixing egg and cheese and letting the noodles cook it yields a result that I would have guessed was a lot more work.

Last edited:

I did the "Crock Pot Kung Pao" last weekend. Turned out very good for something easy. There are some "5 ingredients or less" recipe books on Amazon.

http://thefrugalgirls.com/2013/04/crockpot-orange-chicken-recipe.html

Im going to give Inks potato soup a run.

Last edited:
Michchamp, here's my old standby for a delicious dinner in minutes...

1 nice piece of tilapia
1 egg, beaten
salt pepper to taste

Put the flour, salt, and egg on a plate, and mix it all up with a fork. I like a LOT of pepper. (Grew up in a really poor family where pepper was about our only spice)

Coat the tilapia in egg and kind of wipe it sorta dry with your hand. You want it wet, but you don't want it dripping.

Coat the fish in the flour and pat the excess away. Fry in olive oil for four minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy. Sometimes may take more.

I cheat on this one and do some 5 minute insta-rice and some steamed asparagus in a microwave steamer bag.

In 10 minutes, you have a delicious meal. If done right, the fish won't taste eggy at all, but crisps up really nicely.

Last edited:
Also michchamp, if you're pressed for time, I would really recommend the cook once, eat twice method of cooking.

The idea is simple... cook more than you need and repurpose the leftovers.

So tonight you might cook up some chicken breasts. Cook twice as many as you need, and toss the extras in the fridge.

Tomorrow, or the next day, you can throw together a nice shredded chicken salad, or a chicken quesadilla from the pre-cooked breasts.

During the summer months, I use the cook once eat twice method a lot, because in Arizona, the summers are not a fun time to cook, so I want to limit the extra heat in the house.

These sound pretty good, esp the potato soup one - will have to give it a try. Here's my recipe for almost award winning chili (Elk's Club chili contest is totally rigged but everyone who cooks and has tried it asks me for the recipe). Cook time is 2.5 to 3 hours but prep time is 20 minutes or less.

2 lbs ground beef
3 medium yellow or white onions
1 medium green bell pepper
29 ounces tomato sauce
2 15oz cans dark red kidney beans (I don't notice a diff w/ reg red kidney beans but I like it to have a little more color)
6-8 cloves of garlic (approx 3-4 tsps of minced garlic)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tsp dried basil
~1/3 cup McCormick's original chili spice (or 1 of their chili spice packs - basically more of the above spices)

if you double or triple (or more) the recipe, use a mix of red and green bell peppers for more color and a little sweetness. I also use a mix of Original and Hot McCormick's chili spice when I'm making big batches.

Brown ground beef and strain some of the fat.
Chop the peppers and onions into medium sized chunks (not too fine, esp w/ the onions as they'll sweat down to nothing - you'll still get the flavor but not the chunks).

Throw everything into a pot and stir it up. Cook on low/simmer for 2.5 to 3 hours - if it's boiling, turn it down a bit. DO NOT add water or broth - it may look dry to start but when water is drawn from the veggies the consistency will be just right. Stir every 15 minutes or so to avoid burning the bottom.

Recipe makes 6-8 servings. I made 2x for Saturday which easily served 5 adults for lunch. Most of us had more at halftime and I have plenty of leftovers - chili omelettes the next day were off the charts.

Last edited:
The recipes sound delicious! After reading this thread into the second page I am ravenous.

I used to cook regular meals, nothing like these.

Inkfreq, this thread should be stickied, and if you do start up on YouTube, let us know.

I'm an idiot.

So I'm trying to find a dicing machine online and it doesn't look like such a thing exists. I'm even figuring out how you'd build such a thing...a machine where you'd turn a crank and a lead screw would force your vegetable through a grid while spiral cutting it into cubes. And I can't believe nobody's ever designed such a thing, but I can't find one anywhere.

And it's starting to bug me that people can sell these products called "dicers" that only cut things into thin strips, like fries...but they don't actually cut things into little cubes. I already have something that can do that!

Then I click a video. A guy takes a potato, cuts it into fries, puts the fries on the dicer a second time, gets small cubes.

I'm a moron.

Just diced 5 lbs of potatoes with a knife with a dicing tool in the cupboard.

I'm an idiot.

So I'm trying to find a dicing machine online and it doesn't look like such a thing exists. I'm even figuring out how you'd build such a thing...a machine where you'd turn a crank and a lead screw would force your vegetable through a grid while spiral cutting it into cubes. And I can't believe nobody's ever designed such a thing, but I can't find one anywhere.

And it's starting to bug me that people can sell these products called "dicers" that only cut things into thin strips, like fries...but they don't actually cut things into little cubes. I already have something that can do that!

Then I click a video. A guy takes a potato, cuts it into fries, puts the fries on the dicer a second time, gets small cubes.

I'm a moron.

Just diced 5 lbs of potatoes with a knife with a dicing tool in the cupboard.

Don't feel bad... I'll take a razor sharp chef's knife any day over some gimmicky cutter. I always cut them by hand.

Almost potato soup time. House smells good.

Let me know how it turns out. I love... LOVE... that recipe, especially on a chilly night. The soup is delicious, and just warms you up ever so roasty toasty all the way from your head down to your feet. It's wonderful.

Let me know how it turns out. I love... LOVE... that recipe, especially on a chilly night. The soup is delicious, and just warms you up ever so roasty toasty all the way from your head down to your feet. It's wonderful.

Excellent. I had 3 bowls (and I might have some for breakfast here in a bit.) And there's so much. This is going to carry us to Thanksgiving.

I've been doing a lot of yard work and have a lot more to do. Clearing leaves, sticks, brush, breaking up branches and burning them...this is perfect for that.

Excellent. I had 3 bowls (and I might have some for breakfast here in a bit.) And there's so much. This is going to carry us to Thanksgiving.

I've been doing a lot of yard work and have a lot more to do. Clearing leaves, sticks, brush, breaking up branches and burning them...this is perfect for that.

Outstanding! You're right, on a chilly day with a ton of yard work, that soup is the cure all.

Glad you liked the recipe, and congrats on cooking it up and enjoying it.

Wish I found thread sooner. I can cook but nothing fancy. Just enough to get by. I might have to try your Pork Roast Slow Cooked. My Mom makes probably the greatest roast ever, me not so much.

I'd also check out a YouTube channel if you had one.

Last edited:
Back