Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spotlight (2015)

If gender is such an important aspect of that analogy, why didn't Christ ever say anything about it? When talking about marriage, there's also a reference to leaving your father and mother and holding onto your wife. So which parts of this marriage analogy do we take as literal and which parts aren't the focus of the analogy?

It's not analogous; it's literal, so all if it.

Christ couldn't get sandals with M logos on them...never even got to a game...

One thing I learned the one time I went to Brother Jimmy's is God is a North Carolina fan. It says so, right on the wall behind the bar..."If God's not a Tarheel fan, then why is the sky Carolina Blue?" Pretty unassailable logic - and based on this evidence, it's clear that God doesn't intervene in sporting events, otherwise how do you explain UNC football?

It's not analogous; it's literal, so all if it.

If are are referring to the Church as a bride, a singular person, you are not being literal. You do not determine the gender of the Church from its chromosomes.

One thing I learned the one time I went to Brother Jimmy's is God is a North Carolina fan. It says so, right on the wall behind the bar..."If God's not a Tarheel fan, then why is the sky Carolina Blue?" Pretty unassailable logic - and based on this evidence, it's clear that God doesn't intervene in sporting events, otherwise how do you explain UNC football?

That's...pretty sound. My life is a lie.

Christ cared nothing for "social norms of the time." He still doesn't. He picked 12 men. He's God, and he can do that. And the most important human of the Church was/is/ever will be a woman. And women play an intrinsic and vibrant role in the Church. Just not as priests.

Would that they ever got what they asked for, because they have no idea. Few do, yet they are the ones clamoring for this the most and the loudest.

That's pretty arrogant, to assume as a mere mortal that you know what the messiah thinks or cares about that.

But since you have a hotline to his conscious, let me ask a few questions:

Does Jesus prefer Trump or Clinton?
Does he like Chevy or Ford?
Does he like his Whopper with or without onions?

If you can get back to me ASAP...

Can't answer all of those, but while you're taking you Chevy to the levy, Christ is on the last train heading to the coast.

Can't answer all of those, but while you're taking you Chevy to the levy, Christ is on the last train heading to the coast.

I can't stand that stupid song - definitely not one of my favorite things. In fact, that should be part of the lyrics to one of the all time greats - when the dog bites, when the bee stings, when the radio plays Don McLean

A little late to be figuring this out now...you can become a Spartan fan and salvage what's left - it's not too late for your kids!

Spartans!? Fuck that, I want to be on the side of God. Tar Heels for life.

In all seriousness, I grew up a Michigan fan because my family rooted for them. When they decided my 4.0 gpa and 33 ACT (where was my white male privilege then?) wasn't good enough for their architecture program, I was pretty bitter for a while. If Sparty was going to hook me as a college football fan, 2002-2006 was their best shot. Alas, John L Smith happened and I was accepted to Michigan's masters program in 2007, right as Dantonio was hired. Funny how it worked out.

That's pretty arrogant, to assume as a mere mortal that you know what the messiah thinks or cares about that.

But since you have a hotline to his conscious, let me ask a few questions:

If you can get back to me ASAP...

What do you think "My Kingdom is not of this world" means? As for "knowing," et. al., His Word is revealed in sacred scripture. All I do is read it. Try it sometime.

What do you think "My Kingdom is not of this world" means? As for "knowing," et. al., His Word is revealed in sacred scripture. All I do is read it. Try it sometime.

I tried it. there was a part about "if your hand causes you to sin, chop it off" and other parts about angels, demons, and chariots of fire in the sky and I decided "this is a little too unrealistic for me." I mean, for Pete's sake, it's the 21st century, man.

That sacred scripture is pretty old, no chance he had a change of heart about anything at all? I mean he's as old as the universe, how reasonable is it to assume that all his ideas and thoughts would be limited to such a tiny fraction of time?

Also to go back to the post I quoted earlier, you say Christ picked 12 men, but how do you know he didn't just pick the 12 best people, and the fact they were men was irrelevant?

Also to go back to the post I quoted earlier, you say Christ picked 12 men, but how do you know he didn't just pick the 12 best people, and the fact they were men was irrelevant?

That is so chauvinistic and discriminatory. Are you actually saying that of all the best twelve people that Jesus interviewed and could have hired to be his apostles, not one-not one of them was a woman?

In the year that we are going to finally shatter the glass ceiling antiquated and misguided concepts like this being expressed are shameful.

Christ didn't hang out with the best of the best; people questioned the company he kept.

Christ didn't hang out with the best of the best; people questioned the company he kept.

but rest assured, if he came back today, he would hang out in the disgustingly opulent Vatican with the Catholic Church heirarchy, all of whom he would be buddies with.

would he still be Jewish himself though, or like, grandfathered into to being a Christian? there are a lot of practical questions to sort through.

Do we know for certain that he and his 12 disciples weren't one of many that just started a for profit religion? Doing trick miracles to get people to give money to the church? I don't know, but it has been done throughout history.

I forget when in my religious studies it dawned on me, but at some point I realized "hey if Jesus came back these days, and was walking among the poorest of the poor, criticizing the the authorities who's policies put them there, they'd do the same shit to him that they did back in 33 CE."

but rest assured, if he came back today, he would hang out in the disgustingly opulent Vatican with the Catholic Church heirarchy, all of whom he would be buddies with.

would he still be Jewish himself though, or like, grandfathered into to being a Christian? there are a lot of practical questions to sort through.

People love table flippers.

Back