Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Possible new extra inning rule

It depends on how they implement the "man on 2nd rule". What if they just put the guy that is supposed to be up in first in the inning on 2nd base? Essentially, every inning would start with a lead off double. That really wouldn't be giving one team a competitive advantage that they didn't already have.

I just kind of been assuming that that's the way it's going to work. That's what makes the most sense.

It depends on how they implement the "man on 2nd rule". What if they just put the guy that is supposed to be up in first in the inning on 2nd base? Essentially, every inning would start with a lead off double. That really wouldn't be giving one team a competitive advantage that they didn't already have.

I can imagine the lead-off guy to be Victor. It might take 3 hit's to get him in.. Nonetheless, it's not baseball. You want quicker games, less commercials. Why can't there be 30 seconds between Innings?

Runner on second. Who? The last out maker of the inning before? A PR that you burn for the rest of the game? Herb Washington? Someone from the stands? It's a great idea for kids; a lousy idea for MLB. I'd actually prefer to only play nine innings and call it a tie in the regular season were these my two choices.

Yeah that's going to happen.

No but they keep on complaining about games taking to long. Not much else they can do.. Want to make baseball great again get a hard cap. $160m. It's too expensive to go to a game, merchandise is way expensive. Can't even get a kids jersey for a reasonable amount. Now the Luxury tax will go to what, $210m in the next few years?

Baseball used to be a cheap game, eventually salaries will get 40m a year. And fans pay for it all..

Btw, Manfred is a horrible Commish.

Fun fact: 50% of baseball fans are 50 years old and older.. In 5 years at this pace the popularity of MLB will be down to 5%. College football is about to pass them.

MLB rule stipulates a pitcher gets 8 pitches or 60 seconds to warm up once he picks up the ball. If MLB actually enforced the 12-second rule, game time would shrink.
Yeah I don't even know what the penalty for violating the 12 second rule is. Is there one?

Baseball needs a stoppage of play of at least a year, preferably two. Players are too powerful.. With the popularity dropping most people won't care..

Yeah I don't even know what the penalty for violating the 12 second rule is. Is there one?

Pitcher is charged a ball and then has to watch One In A Million: The Ron LeFLore Story and write a review of the movie.

How about they play 2 or 3 innings in extra innings and if the game is still tied let it end in a tie? I like the wildcard because I think it gives smaller payroll teams chances at glory. I am all I favor of changing interleauge play to make it more balanced, and no matter what is decided pitchers batting or DH please make it the same in both leagues as I am ok with either !!!!!!

Last edited:
How about they play 2 or 3 innings in extra innings and if the game is still tied let it end in a tie? I like the wildcard because I think it gives smaller payroll teams chances at glory. I am all I favor of changing interleauge play to make it more balanced, and no matter what is decided pitchers batting or DH please make it the same in both leagues as I am ok with either !!!!!!

I don't have any numbers here but theoretically wouldn't the high payroll teams still have a better chance to get a wild card spot?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not finding any data on it; but it seems to me that the substantial majority of extra any games are decided within the first three extra innings.

So why not do something in between and wait until the 12th inning to implement a wacky new rule?

Probably but I just like more teams in the playoffs.

To me it cheapens it. Like way back when the NHL had 16 of 21 teams make the playoffs or something silly like that. Then MLB added the playin game and I suspect they will add more teams in the future..

Baseball was very enjoyable in the 70's and 80's when only 2 teams from a league made it.. I never understand why they add more except for monetary reasons. But as it's been pointed out MLB popularity is dropping like a stone..

I'm not finding any data on it; but it seems to me that the substantial majority of extra any games are decided within the first three extra innings.

So why not do something in between and wait until the 12th inning to implement a wacky new rule?

Manfred already stated that there's almost 0 chance it will be implemented in MLB.

Back