Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Izzo and Freshmen

LuciousGameWinner

This is getting rediculous. Why is Izzo shoving Tum and Goins down this teams throat? It's not working, Tum is atrocious, and honestly, goins is even worse. I understand Ward needs rest, fine! But why the hell is Goins playing in crucial minutes? He is the worst pick and roll defender I have ever seen! It's so frustrating watching Tum throw up bricks at the end of the clock, the guy wouldn't start at Grand Valley yet somehow Ozzo hasn't realized that Cassius is 10000 times the player that Tum will ever be.
Just give the keys to the freshmen, please! We know what the older guys bring to the table, absolutely fucking nothing.

This is getting rediculous. Why is Izzo shoving Tum and Goins down this teams throat? It's not working, Tum is atrocious, and honestly, goins is even worse. I understand Ward needs rest, fine! But why the hell is Goins playing in crucial minutes? He is the worst pick and roll defender I have ever seen! It's so frustrating watching Tum throw up bricks at the end of the clock, the guy wouldn't start at Grand Valley yet somehow Ozzo hasn't realized that Cassius is 10000 times the player that Tum will ever be.
Just give the keys to the freshmen, please! We know what the older guys bring to the table, absolutely fucking nothing.

For the absolute life of me I just cannot understand why the hell tum tum has the ball seemingly everytime with 5 seconds left on the clock and is forced to jack up some garbage shot that is an air ball or not even close to going in. When the shot clock hits 10, give the ball to bridges every single time and let him attempt to do something. It should flat out never touch nairns hands.

Last edited:
For the absolute life of me I just cannot understand why the hell tum tum has the ball seemingly everytime with 5 seconds left on the clock and is forced to jack up some garbage shot that is an air ball or not even close to going in. When the shot clock hits 10, give the ball to bridges every single time and let him attempt to do something. It should flat out never touch nairns hands.

It always ends up in his hands and you know nothing good is about to happen. I also blame the player who passes him the ball, if you're Ellis, mcquaid, Langford, bridges, a fan, a walk on, do something with it, DO NOT pass it to Tum Tum.

Watching Duke - UNC, both teams subbed for the first time at 14:30. Izzo would've subbed 6 guys by now.

Didn't watch the game, but looking at the stats they shot atrociously, especially from outside. I thought I had read that Winston had gotten dinged up. Did that have more to do with him only getting 12 minutes, or was it a coach's decision to play Nairn so much more?

He had his ankle retaped that was it. Maybe it's more serious than we know but judging by Izzos past, I doubt it. He loves his juniors and seniors.

Ive said all along Nairn is awful and a few here were pumping him as the next coming of Kalin Lucas his fresh/soph year :) Fact is this team is going to lose early from Izzo. Also, there are other recruits that see this horshit and think "well, I will get more playing time at X school because Izzo likes to bench top players" Then they wont go to MSU. Im sick of it all. Last year what did davis get, 12 fucking minutes a game? You think that would have taught izzo a lesson....nope. I wanted to think maybe Izzo didnt want Davis to jump ship early so he didnt let him play much. I thinks thats not the case, hes just doing a really bad job of making obvious decisions that well, MAKE SENSE. Also, we shot terribly and that was part of the loss but if you play the top guys we win 3-4 more games this year....

Apparently Cassius was benched because he's a bad defender. I like how Izzo completely ignores the fact that Tum Tum is the biggest liability I have ever seen on offense, but still gets playing time. I don't care how bad Winston is on defense, he is nowhere near as bad as Tum is on offense.

I read a column yesterday that made that same point. More talking about Ward-Goins, but the same comparison could be made with Winston-Nairn. Even though Goins-Nairn may be better defensively the difference there is much less than how much better Ward-Winston are on offense. I don't know of too many players, well any really, that are averaging close to 14ppg like Ward and yet only get 20mpg. The article also mentioned that Goins may be better on the pick and roll and in the right place more often, but what does it matter if he's getting abused in the post and people are scoring right over him (not his fault of course, he's only 6-6 and only pressed into this role after the pre-season injuries). It even seems to make less sense when Ward's sitting down the stretch in games when the team needs baskets in the halfcourt, ie someone to throw it to down in the post.

Izzo got away with it more last year with Davis only because the team around him was so good, but it probably still cost the team. There seems to be an stubbornness, heck I'll even call it arrogance, to how Izzo has approached his teams the past couple of years. Like he's convinced that he's going to win a certain way no matter what, and he's not going to change his mind for anything. And I agree that recruits are paying attention to those sort of things.

He wasn't like this in the past with freshman. Kalin Lucas played even though he had veterans like Walton and Nietzel there already. Raymar Morgan played. The team his freshman year was pretty limited, but he wasn't sticking walk-ons in for him. Heck, someone like Chris Hill played a ton even though he was just a shooter and a horrible defender.

Last edited:
He's always been horrible with young talent. Especially young bigs.

As for Tum, he played very good in that first round game(9 assists/0 turnovers), but I agree that he and Goins should NEVER be both in the game when we are down 5 with under 2 minutes to go. That is an all time head scratcher.

True. I guess going back to Zach Randolph and Marcus Taylor even a similar comparison could be made with them playing less of a role as freshmen than expected. That team had veteran talent around them though. And sometimes it's warranted. Adreian Payne wasn't ready to play as a freshman, for example. And people talk about Kentucky, but Skal Labissiere stunk last year, and Calipari didn't keep playing him big minutes just because.

But certainly the past couple of years sometimes the decisions seem geared more toward "teaching someone a lesson" vs what is best for winning a particular game.

Last edited:
Izzo did play Freshman but even randolph had limited minutes. Her rarely got more than 20 a game. Izzo has always jerked guys once they start to heat up. I remember being annoyed about it even in the 90s. I also rememebr "Morris Peterson is the best 6th man in basketball" well yeah HE HOULD HAVE STARTED!!!!Somehow I think its "he likes the guys that practice hard". Sometimes the best players dont go 100% in practice so he limits minutes. Not sure what it is but when we lose by 2-3 in the tourney and ward has 17 minutes we know who to point the finger at.... Nairn played 30 minutes yesterday, winston 12! I just have to roll my eyes.

True. I guess going back to Zach Randolph and Marcus Taylor even a similar comparison could be made with them playing less of a role as freshmen than expected. That team had veteran talent around them though. And sometimes it's warranted. Adreian Payne wasn't ready to play as a freshman, for example. And people talk about Kentucky, but Skal Labissiere stunk last year, and Calipari didn't keep playing him big minutes just because.

But certainly the past couple of years sometimes the decisions seem geared more toward "teaching someone a lesson" vs what is best for winning a particular game.

Agree 100%

Back