Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford's next!!!

Nobody cares about the other QBs. Stafford has finally shut the critics up. Well, the smart ones anyways...

Critics? What critics? The ones that miss on player after player each year during the draft? Those critics? At least hes the 31st best player in the NFL, lol.

Yeah Stafford ended up at low 90s. But he was 100.7 before the injury. This is despite less support than most QBs receive.

He's a top 5 QB.

He's top 10 but hey, we're nitpicking over here....lol

He's top 10 but hey, we're nitpicking over here....lol

100.4 would have put him 6th. But damn close to Drew Brees who was top 5.

But then again Brees had 1,742 rush yards so over 400 more than the Lions, mid 25% protection (10% better than Detroit), in other words 10% of Brees throws he had more time to throw, 11 more drives in opponents territory (17 for Brees only 6 for Stafford) and 8 less drops than Stafford had (20 for NO to 28). Saints had 181 drives to Detroit's 156. So 25 more drives and 25 more opportunities to score for Brees

Cooks, Thomas, Snead and Fleener is a nice combo for weapon too. 1,000 yard rushing in Ingram

Brees played four top 12 defenses. Lions played five top 12 defenses (four on the road)

I'm going to go ahead and give Stafford the nod over Brees for that.

Last edited:
Critics? What critics? The ones that miss on player after player each year during the draft? Those critics? At least hes the 31st best player in the NFL, lol.

Morons like you, sunshine lol. You have nothing so you rip on his 31st best player ranking. You're a joke, dude. Close your eyes, Mitchy boy!! Because Staff is getting paid!! Don't blink...don't even fucking breathe. Take it nice and slow....lol. Lube up tho, buddy....:cheers:

Last edited:

But then again Brees had 1,742 rush yards so over 400 more than the Lions, mid 25% protection (10% better than Detroit), in other words 10% of Brees throws he had more time to throw, 11 more drives in opponents territory (17 for Brees only 6 for Stafford) and 8 less drops than Stafford had (20 for NO to 28). Saints had 181 drives to Detroit's 156. So 25 more drives and 25 more opportunities to score for Brees

Cooks, Thomas, Snead and Fleener is a nice combo for weapon too. 1,000 yard rushing in Ingram

Brees played four top 12 defenses. Lions played five top 12 defenses (four on the road)

Not over Brees, man. Cmon...

So had some time. I added up all the teams starting in opponents field position numbers from the last 6 seasons (2011-2016). Let's take a look at why Stafford gets screwed in less TDs

New England 154 (TB best in league or most opportunistic, 59 more short fields than Stafford, yikes)
Seattle 149 (Wilson isn't good, just gets short fields)
Cincy 148 (Cincy D saving Andy Dalton, no wonder they made playoffs many years)
San Francisco 141 (bloated Kaepernick early)
GB 139 (life is easy for Rodger, 44 more short fields than Stafford)
Arizona 134
Denver 134 (got Manning one last ring)
KC 130 (that D is good)
Mia 127
Car 126 (big turnover year in 2015 with 31 in opp field, MVP for Cam)
Hou 124
NYJ 124
Buf 122
Oak 122
Min 121 (26 more than Stafford, yet QB struggles)
NYG 118
Dal 118
PHI 118 (East is all the same it seems)
BAL 118
Pit 116 (decent though they would be better)
Atl 114
Tampa 110
Chi 110
Wash 108
Rams 105 (now we are getting closer to Detroit but still 10 better)
Chargers 103 (Rivers is a good QB)
Ten 101 (sucked for a long time but better last two years)
Jax 101
NO 100 (bad defense, Brees gets a lot of credit for that offense without short fields)
Ind 95 (same as Detroit but much better from 2012 on in Luck years)
Det 95
Cle 94

So there you have it folks. Stafford gets the least shortest fields in the league other than Cle and Indy. Cle has a rotating door. This includes Indy in 2011 with only 8. Luck has 87 in the last five years since 2012. Stafford 71 in the last five years. So Luck gets better support too.

Stafford gets Cleveland Browns style support in field position but Stafford has excelled where as Cleveland changes QBs. Worst in the league.

Next up will be drops over 6 years then rushing yards over 6 years

Last edited:
Outperformed?? Give me a break lol. This defense has been a fkn joke under Srafford minus like ONE year...

I'm not defending the defense. I agree with you they have been a joke. That doesn't change the fact they were ranked higher in scoring defense then we were in scoring offense.

We sucked at scoring.

i would say hes more efficient....not necessarily better. When your dink and dunk pass game leads to so many 3 n outs its puts the defense in a bad spot. Weve had zero deep threat passing game the last 3-4 seasons. So we have a qb with a HUGE arm that throws the ball like 5 yards all game lol. You should be more efficient when your taking less risk. You also score less, and have horrible field position most of the game.....which is LKPs point. So while i agree with you LKP....he has had those things to deal with....i believe its a product of the offense he runs. Not the defenses fault.

But he was hitting those short throws. How many times up until the last year did we see him flat out miss a guy wide open 5 yards away. I think he has been far better then he ever was. The standard hasn't been set so high, but he finally is starting to look like he belongs with his peers.

Prior he only looked good when comparing him to QBs that played in the 80s or earlier.

I'm not defending the defense. I agree with you they have been a joke. That doesn't change the fact they were ranked higher in scoring defense then we were in scoring offense.

We sucked at scoring.

Not Staffords fault. Run game, protection(2014-2016), drops (every year but 2015), lack of short fields (in 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016), weapons (in 2012/2013)

Defense allowing too many long drives (reduces Lions drives). Not enough turnover, hurts Lions offense. Many teams as I showed in my previous past, get the slam dunk easy drives. Lions don't in 4 of the 6 years for Stafford. Did in 2011 and 2014 and made the playoffs.

Last edited:

We sucked at scoring.

I agree...

What did he finish at? Not 100.4. Could have had something to do with playing better teams the second half of the year? Oh no couldn't be that.... let's just pull out the injury excuse card. Stafford had the best woulda shoulda coulda career in nfl history.

What did he finish at? Not 100.4. Could have had something to do with playing better teams the second half of the year? Oh no couldn't be that.... let's just pull out the injury excuse card. Stafford had the best woulda shoulda coulda career in nfl history.

I don't get the "he was injured excuse." Lots of guys are injured.. Especially late in the season. What happened to "Well he just didn't play well." Or maybe "The team played poorly." Nope. It's injury excuse after injury excuse. "If our RB wasn't hurt he would have ran for 2000 yards because he averaged 5.2 YPC on 18 carries."

Stafford had a major injury on his throwing hand. It 100 percent hurt this team in the final 4 games and playoffs. No other qb had that injury

Gotta admit, man. That injury to his hand was devastating. He instantly started playing like shit when it happened. I personally don't give 2 flying fucks about his passer rating because it's a joke of a stat, but that was a legit injury...

I don't get the "he was injured excuse." Lots of guys are injured.. Especially late in the season. What happened to "Well he just didn't play well." Or maybe "The team played poorly." Nope. It's injury excuse after injury excuse. "If our RB wasn't hurt he would have ran for 2000 yards because he averaged 5.2 YPC on 18 carries."

Of course "you don't get it". You never do lol. I swear to god that you start off every sentence with "I don't get" lol. Fkn priceless.....:hmm:

Gotta admit, man. That injury to his hand was devastating. He instantly started playing like shit when it happened. I personally don't give 2 flying fucks about his passer rating because it's a joke of a stat, but that was a legit injury...

He instantly started playing like every other year of his career.... how am i supposed to know what's from injury and what's from just pulling a Stafford for part of the year.

It's an excuse. He's payed bad before at season' end or other stretches of his career.. But this season it was an injury.. Then explain why he played well vs GB, and the 1st half against Dallas. Did the hand just hurt after the game was 21-21..

The injury clearly affected his play. It's a throw by throw thing. Some throws can be good but some it can affect the grip and accuracy. So yes it's a very valid reason his play got worse.

Also defense had troubles against Dallas, Green Bay and Seattle and couldn't get off the field. Run game faded at times though Zenner did some things. Protection shot with Reiff and Swanson hurt. Riddick gone during that stretch too. Many reasons.

The int and two incomplets on 3rd against Dallas were due to the finger. And Dallas scored tds on 3 consecutive drives as lions gave up 42 without slay and a gimpy levy

Stafford is an elite qb who deserves much more support than he gets

That injury was the biggest injury in the NFL last season. Ansah was the 2nd biggest

Last edited:
The int and two incomplets on 3rd against Dallas were due to the finger.

This is my point.. How can anyone know those plays were affected by the finger? There's just no way. You want to say he was bad because of the finger, fine - I might disagree but saying a particular 3 plays were because of finger.. and no other reason I find hard to believe.

Back