Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2017 Season Debacle, trades, releases and fired thread

From ESPN

Despite a down year from ace Justin Verlander, the Detroit Tigers don't seem to be lowering their asking price on the right-hander.

There's a perception among teams that have inquired on Verlander that the Tigers are looking for a "big, big, big return without salary offset," ESPN's Buster Olney reports.

LOL....good luck Al

From ESPN

Despite a down year from ace Justin Verlander, the Detroit Tigers don't seem to be lowering their asking price on the right-hander.

There's a perception among teams that have inquired on Verlander that the Tigers are looking for a "big, big, big return without salary offset," ESPN's Buster Olney reports.

LOL....good luck Al

Al is living in fantasy world, how this guy isn't fired is beyond me

There are 100 guys who make less than him who could fit the bill. No way they take on his contract. I'd boycott baseball if it happened, that's the only team I truly despise.

Probebly more likely dumbroski goes out and gets him again

Last edited:
This is probably a long shot, but today's start by Sanchez made me think (as of right now 5 innings pitched, 5K, 2 H, 0 W, 0 R). Since Sanchez came back he has been good as a starter. He should get 3 or 4 more starts before the trade deadline. I wonder if he would have any trade value if he continues this success.

This is probably a long shot, but today's start by Sanchez made me think (as of right now 5 innings pitched, 5K, 2 H, 0 W, 0 R). Since Sanchez came back he has been good as a starter. He should get 3 or 4 more starts before the trade deadline. I wonder if he would have any trade value if he continues this success.

That has definitely crossed my mind. What makes it difficult is his 16m option/5m buyout. We'd likely have to send the 5m along with him and whoever takes him take his prorated contract. He's definitely looked better lately but hard to forget about how bad he was for so long.

Tell everyone you're going to be traded multiple times in a year then expect everyone to play hard and focused every day..Al Aliva you should be fried...

Time to blow the team up trade

Martinez
Jv
Upton
Kinsler
Victor
Miggy
Wilson
Trade them all !!

If Oakland wins tonight we could be worse again.. I have a feeling Avila is looking for too much and has no idea what he's doing..

Posted this in game 85, and should have posted here.

The team sucks right now because the 2 high salary guys are having down years by their standards. Offense, Pitching Starting and Bullpen, Defense,
all not working together. When one these works the others don't. Game after Game.
Tom has bitched about high salaried players for years.
Al Avila is not a smart GM, that is something I think we can all agree on.

If he does trade JV, he will not get anything near value for him.
1. down year for Verlander.
2. He will probably get screwed settling for lower tier prospects.
These prospects will not see the Tigers for a couple of years.
Who will take JV's spot in the rotation?
3. High percentage of the Fan base will be very upset.
4. Attendance lower this year, will drop more, and fuck up the tv contract less money.

Some people, at times like this, when the team for varied reasons of lack of performance, injuries, bad managing and bad coaching, want the high priced players to get moved. Then you have weaker talent, AAAA players in the place of the down year stars, and those same people usually are bitching because the TEAM SUCKS MORE.
Does anyone with a half a brain really think Al Avila will get any players that will help the Tigers in 1 year??
Don't waste my time or anyone else by cherry picking any single item stated here.

Sadly for me, and any other guys here who don't want to see Verlander traded, the more I read everywhere that I post the info here, and info from twitter about how the Tigers have traded or let go pitchers in the past history with 9 to 12/13 years with the team is something that seems to be their modus operandi.
Jim Bunning gone traded after 9 years, Mickey Lolich gone traded after 12/13 years,
Jack Morris let go after 12/13 years, which iirc amounted to collusion of owners.also pitchers, Lary, Petry, and McLain for outside reasons,

If Mr. Ilitch swallowed his pride instead of cutting off his nose to spite his face, Scherzer would still be here pitching and the Tigers would still have their Mojo.

I am starting to expect the worst.

Back