Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kyrie wants out of Cleveland, gets his wish, traded to Celtics

looking a little deeper at this trade, I think it's a pretty good trade for both teams.

This seems like such a colossally stupid move by Boston. Thomas is basically the same player as Kyrie already, and Crowder was one of the best deals in the league. Throwing in the Brooklyn pick (likely top 3) was insane. Boston has made itself worse in the short team (losing Crowder without an improvement from Thomas to Irving) AND made itself worse in the long term (giving up a top 3 pick). The only thing they managed was to push back the big payday for their PG. But of course, whatever savings they manage to get for that one year are going to be completely undone by the surplus value given up from that pick. I guess Kyrie is three years younger than Thomas, but since the Celtics aren't real contenders, it's kind of moot.

Have to say, the Cavs did an amazing job here. Crowder is exactly the kind of tough defending wing with positional versatility that they needed to better match up with GS. They are likely to see no drop-off with Thomas, who might actually mesh better with Lebron. And now whether Lebron stays or goes next year, they have a huge building block in the Brooklyn pick. They are a better team this year to once again mow down the East, and they have a ton more flexibility for the future.

This seems like such a colossally stupid move by Boston. Thomas is basically the same player as Kyrie already, and Crowder was one of the best deals in the league. Throwing in the Brooklyn pick (likely top 3) was insane. Boston has made itself worse in the short team (losing Crowder without an improvement from Thomas to Irving) AND made itself worse in the long term (giving up a top 3 pick). The only thing they managed was to push back the big payday for their PG. But of course, whatever savings they manage to get for that one year are going to be completely undone by the surplus value given up from that pick. I guess Kyrie is three years younger than Thomas, but since the Celtics aren't real contenders, it's kind of moot.

Have to say, the Cavs did an amazing job here. Crowder is exactly the kind of tough defending wing with positional versatility that they needed to better match up with GS. They are likely to see no drop-off with Thomas, who might actually mesh better with Lebron. And now whether Lebron stays or goes next year, they have a huge building block in the Brooklyn pick. They are a better team this year to once again mow down the East, and they have a ton more flexibility for the future.

Great stuff. But i thought Crowder play the same spot as Morris ? I'm just Curious .

Last edited:

You have to give something to get something.
Celtics had 16 players under contract now down to 14. As much as we loved what IT brought every game, his height was/is a liabilty on defense.
Irving certainly exposed that in the playoffs.
You see how many picks the teams ran him through in the playoffs? he was unable to stay with the player he was guarding. We loved what 'the Predator' Crowder brought all around game, but his spot was taken in that Hayward signing. Feeling around here is they became more athletic with Hayward and Irving, and have Jaylen Brown and Rozier off the bench.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/08/cap-tax-fa-implications-of-celticscavs-blockbuster.html
Again, this explains alot for the teams.

@Biggunsbob, yes, Crowder normally plays the 3. But since Crowder is the significantly better player (and fit), it shouldn't have factored into the decision.

@Kaline, dropping players that are good and playing above their contracts is the worst way to reduce roster size. Also, Irving has consistently rated as one of the worst defenders in the league. Thomas may not be capable of being a good defender, but Irving isn't any better.

Further, Crowder was versatile enough to take up 25-30 minutes at multiple positions still. Brown, Rozier, and even Smart are lesser players than Crowder. Getting "more atletic" doesn't mean anything on it's own, and that's arguably not even the case since Hayward isn't an amazing athlete, his game is about smart decisions and precise shot-making.

Not that I have any love for Cleveland, but I hope they are releasing this info to try and force Boston to sweeten the deal further. Certain espn experts are already considering this the biggest haul in modern nba history, so it would be funny to see it get even more lopsided.

That said, this deal suddenly becomes more fair if we find out Thomas has a career threatening injury.

Not that I have any love for Cleveland, but I hope they are releasing this info to try and force Boston to sweeten the deal further. Certain espn experts are already considering this the biggest haul in modern nba history, so it would be funny to see it get even more lopsided.

That said, this deal suddenly becomes more fair if we find out Thomas has a career threatening injury.

I think that's exactly what they did. It will be interesting to see if they get another pick out of it.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/isaiah-thomas-trade-celtics-cavaliers/amp/

IT's letter to Boston. It's long but a good read, straight from him by the sounds of it. I'll be hard pressed to root against Cleveland in the East, even with my dislike of Lebron, with a guy like that on the roster. I hope IT has a monster year.

iu

giphy.gif

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/isaiah-thomas-trade-celtics-cavaliers/amp/

IT's letter to Boston. It's long but a good read, straight from him by the sounds of it. I'll be hard pressed to root against Cleveland in the East, even with my dislike of Lebron, with a guy like that on the roster. I hope IT has a monster year.

IT has been a dumpster fire. Now he gets traded to the Lakers and his agent says IT won't come off the bench. https://sports.yahoo.com/agent-says-isaiah-thomas-won-161125483.html

Last year he was saying Boston better bring out the Brinks truck http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/boston-celtics/thomas-contract-they-better-bring-out-brinks-truck

Next year he will be lucky to get a mid level exemption. :lmao:

Back