Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sit, stand, kneel, or do whatever you like for the National Anthem

It used to be safest to stay out of politics. Now, staying out runs the risk of someone else creating a narrative for your company. Everything is political. Nike didn't start this.

If you’re burning Nike products to support veterans instead of giving them to homeless veterans whose health care has been shit for decades then maybe it’s time to question what you’re really so upset about.

What about Nike? Isn't the Just Do It campaign about not being a whiny little excuse making bitch. I thought it was about focus on the game, ignoring the noise and getting the job done? If you're suddenly shifting the focus to social issues, why are you forking over millions to a millionaire who hasn't played a down in 20 months instead of dedicating that money to actual reforms? Who is being more wasteful?

Nike is being just as foolish as the fools that are burning their gear. They're a company that markets to everyone world wide - why get involved in politics and alienate a big chunk of your customers?

Last edited:
It used to be safest to stay out of politics. Now, staying out runs the risk of someone else creating a narrative for your company. Everything is political. Nike didn't start this.

Jesse Jackson can probably be credited with that but I hardly think Nike's stock price would take a hit, or there would be any kind of boycott or negative blowback if they stayed out of the Kaepernick fight. Nike is a marketing company more than anything else, no one is going to create a narrative they can't counteract. There are plenty of directions they could have gone, this is easily one of the dumbest.

Last edited:
Jesse Jackson can probably be credited with that but I hardly think Nike's stock price would take a hit, or there would be any kind of boycott or negative blowback if they stayed out of the Kaepernick fight. Nike is a marketing company more than anything else, no one is going to create a narrative they can't counteract. There are plenty of directions they could have gone, this is easily one of the dumbest.

Stock price is near an all time high and dropped 2 or 3%. It doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. Other than golfers, Nike's best customers are probably young anyway.

Plus Nike has generally taken a lot of flack from the Left for sweatshop labor.

Well, I guess you'd assume it was from the left, since the Right is like "YES! More
profits if u use SLAVES... USE SLAVES! MORE PROFIT!"

So this shores up Nike's cred with the potential customers on the left in that regard, while not actually costing them much, if anything. I mean, people presumably had to PAY for the shoes they're now burning.

as Gulo helpfully pointed out, the MAGA crowd - i.e. fat unathletic losers - is not really Nike's core customer base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rightwing nuts: I'M SPENDING $75 TO BUY SOME NIKE'S AND BURN THEM TO OWN TEH LIBS!

Nike CMO: "Oh no, DON'T do that... no please, stop buying our shoes and burning them. You're REALLY hurting our feelings."

Heard a lot of discussions about this today.

To my mind came the quote oft' credited to PT Barnum "There is no such thing as bad publicity."

Before that Oscar Wilde once said "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

Kaepernick had apparently already been with Nike since around 2011.

Nike had to know it was going to rub some people the wrong - I guess they thought publicity and appeal to a younger demo would outweigh that.

We'll see.

of course, the Idiot Trump has to give his 2 cents

"I think it's a terrible message that they're sending and the purpose of them doing it, maybe there's a reason for them doing it," Trump told the Daily Caller, "but I think as far as sending a message, I think it's a terrible message and a message that shouldn't be sent. There's no reason for it."

He couldn't be more wrong. You can disagree with what CK has done but the line on the Nike commercial is pretty good.

"Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything."

"I think it's a terrible message that they're sending and the purpose of them doing it, maybe there's a reason for them doing it," Trump told the Daily Caller, "but I think as far as sending a message, I think it's a terrible message and a message that shouldn't be sent. There's no reason for it."

He couldn't be more wrong. You can disagree with what CK has done but the line on the Nike commercial is pretty good.

People are talking about Nike.

I heard financial analysts on the radio saying today that this might be strategic of Nike trying to expand more into overseas distribution.

It was definitely a strategic and calculated decision.

I don't know the word for how I feel about this. Originally, Kaepernick was sitting through the anthem as a protest. It was an army veteran that explained to him that that could be seen as a slight to vets and together they came up with the kneeling compromise to serve as a protest, while still being respectful to those that served in our armed forces.

When you think a ref got a call wrong and you gesture towards the play with your palm up and your mouth is open in disbelief over the incorrect call - is there a word for that? That's how I feel about this.

I don't know the word for how I feel about this. Originally, Kaepernick was sitting through the anthem as a protest. It was an army veteran that explained to him that that could be seen as a slight to vets and together they came up with the kneeling compromise to serve as a protest, while still being respectful to those that served in our armed forces.

When you think a ref got a call wrong and you gesture towards the play with your palm up and your mouth is open in disbelief over the incorrect call - is there a word for that? That's how I feel about this.

The word is 牺牲.

That’s Chinese for “sacrifice.”

That’s the market this play was made for.

Last edited:
Stock price is near an all time high and dropped 2 or 3%. It doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. Other than golfers, Nike's best customers are probably young anyway.

The market is near all time highs and it was basically flat yesterday. it's not a big decline overall, but it's pretty clear that it's a reaction to the ad and publicity surrounding it. In the end, like most soundbytes, it will likely turn out to be noise where the stock is concerned. The point is, why get involved in something so controversial and risk alienating a big chunk of your customer base?

And even for golf, Nike is probably more of a younger person's brand - they've actually de-emphasized or narrowed their focus on golf by eliminating their equipment lines (clubs & balls) a couple of years ago and focusing on shoes and apparel. They did something similar with hockey awhile back.

Last edited:
Heard a lot of discussions about this today.

To my mind came the quote oft' credited to PT Barnum "There is no such thing as bad publicity."

Before that Oscar Wilde once said "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

Kaepernick had apparently already been with Nike since around 2011.

Nike had to know it was going to rub some people the wrong - I guess they thought publicity and appeal to a younger demo would outweigh that.

We'll see.

yes, he had been with them since 2011, but there wasn't much controversy around the relationship until now. What I think is stupid is they're paying the guy like he's an elite level NFL player when he hasn't taken a snap in 20 months and counting and when he did, his career was in rapid decline. Clearly, this is Nike getting political and in this era with the extremes getting all the publicity, making everything seem more divided than it probably is, I'm not so sure there is no such thing as bad publicity anymore. Ask Kevin Spacey what he thinks about that.

Last edited:

It should have an asterisk and some fine print though - something like this:

"Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.*"

*do your best to make sure what you believe is real, because you could end up sacrificing everything for something that's not actually a problem.

Maybe then CK would still be a backup quarterback somewhere in the league and he wouldn't have thrown it all away. Then again, according to the rumors, he's probably making low end backup QB and possibly even top backup QB money and not taking a single hit so maybe he's actually brilliant.

Last edited:
yes, he had been with them since 2011, but there wasn't much controversy around the relationship until now. What I think is stupid is they're paying the guy like he's an elite level NFL player when he hasn't taken a snap in 20 months and counting and when he did, his career was in rapid decline. Clearly, this is Nike getting political and in this era with the extremes getting all the publicity, making everything seem more divided than it probably is, I'm not so sure there is no such thing as bad publicity anymore. Ask Kevin Spacey what he thinks about that.

Yes, I'm sure Nike's decision here will have the same effects on their bottom line as the revelations a guy was a lifelong abusive rapist had in Kevin Spacey's career. more top notch reasoning from you, as usual.

Yes, I'm sure Nike's decision here will have the same effects on their bottom line as the revelations a guy was a lifelong abusive rapist had in Kevin Spacey's career. more top notch reasoning from you, as usual.

right, because that's exactly what I'm saying except I actually said the opposite. More top notch reading comprehension from you, as usual. And you wonder why you had to go to a third tier retread law school.

right, because that's exactly what I'm saying except I actually said the opposite. More top notch reading comprehension from you, as usual. And you wonder why you had to go to a third tier retread law school.

LOL, even when people directly quote you, you claim you weren't saying what you said.

keep babbling...

Back