Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions sign Stafford to 5 year $135 Million deal, highest paid QB, now restructured

That's what is so great about the country we live in. If we don't want to spend our money supporting a team, we don't have to. If a player doesn't want to play, they don't have to.

I say it every year people complain about the cap being too high. I'd rather the money be in the hands of the players than the owners. As long as the fans and networks are doling out cash, pay the ones getting brain damage and blown ACLs.
They get plenty of money but owners aren't losing a thing. They don't pay the players the fans do. People make less money, NFL prices keep rising. The caps doubled in 10 years or it will.

That's what is so great about the country we live in. If we don't want to spend our money supporting a team, we don't have to. If a player doesn't want to play, they don't have to.
You mean when they build new stadiums do people have a choice not to help pay for that? Or when cable prices go up because NFL signed a huge deal with local networks? I guess technically we have a choice to not have cable but come on.

Last edited:
the stadium thing is a good point, but you don't have to live in the city. I know you don't live in Detroit and since you live in AZ, you aren't paying anything for the Lions unless you choose to do so.

the stadium thing is a good point, but you don't have to live in the city. I know you don't live in Detroit and since you live in AZ, you aren't paying anything for the Lions unless you choose to do so.
For myself sure but some people are paying for that stadium. Whether they get it from local fans or hotel taxes etc.. It's like some states, Michigan, which have an extremely high gas tax. Sure you can ride a bike but that's not practical :).

They get plenty of money but owners aren't losing a thing.

That makes no sense to me. If the money isn't going to the players, it doesn't just disappear. It goes to the owners, straight to the top.

They don't pay the players the fans do. People make less money, NFL prices keep rising.

Sounds like capitalism to me. If people pay when they can't afford it, that's on them. The NFL is not a charity. Supply and demand. If they keep raising prices and people keep attending or watching, then they'll keep raising prices. That's on us, not them.

I also think you're underestimating how much money is brought in when the league distributes money from network deals, league-wide sponsorships, licensing and merchandise sales.

I get it get I get it. Its on them or us choice of will etc. Nonetheless the fans pay for all this. I enjoyed going to games with my dad when I was a boy but if my son was a boy now rather than college guy now I wouldn't be able to afford games and that's frustrating to me.

As far as the money that comes in, I understand that - gets shared across the board but it doesn't make ticket prices, or merchandise prices cheaper for myself or others. Just more money for them.

And the point I made earlier how hoes the networks recoup their money? From fans. Or from non fans who just happen to have local channels.

Last edited:
Back