Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

3 studs, 3 duds Week 2

Kinnel first Wolverine player to record a sack and have a pick 6 in the same game Since 2000. Article didn't say but I wonder if it was Curry ?

It was Julius Curry and it came against OSU. Was easy to figure out when I looked it up, the only pick 6 of 2000.

He has the arm to make all the throws. He has elusiveness in the pocket. He obviously can read the defense(he throws to the right option 90% of the time). But dammit, his decision making is toooooo slow. On longer throws he is always about a second and a half behind or just even a split second behind. Thats why we are seeing defenders almost all the way closed in by the time the wr/te catches the 10+yd throws. Top that off with wide open dudes and the ball sailing over their head and we have recipe for the looney bin. I have no idea if he will ever come around. We saw the same from him last year and it cost us our big stage games. Here's to hoping.

Disagree with the first sentence. I don't think he has the arm to make all the throws, and that has been pretty well on point his whole career. There's a general lack of zip on anything, and his deep ball usually requires the WR to slow down and adjust. And it all comes back to his poor mechanics which limit any strong velocity.

Last edited:
Disagree with the first sentence. I don't think he has the arm to make all the throws, and that has been pretty well on point his whole career. There's a general lack of zip on anything, and his deep ball usually requires the WR to slow down and adjust. And it all comes back to his poor mechanics which limit any strong velocity.

I've never seen him throw a ball and thought, "Speight just doesn't have the arm for that" --- and I consistently thought that with Rudock, who just didn't have the arm for the long ball.

Speight also makes some pretty dang nice throws as well. But people seem to forget those because of his tenancy to miss completely wide open receivers.

I guess we have to really break down this concept. I think a lot of QBs in college football can throw it 50 yards.

When I think about having the arm to make all the throws, it's an entire package. It combines getting it there with the velocity. Baker Mayfield can make all the throws. Moving, short, middle, they get there incredibly fast.

Sure, Speight can probably get them where they need to go, but he can't do them with any good pace. That's part of the package.

Never questioned his arm or his velocity. In fact in his first ever appearance I was really impressed with the TD he threw to Chesson. Basically 25 yards from where he threw it to where the ball was caught, and it was perfect. His mechanics seem to be the reason for his inconsistency and making his throws sail high or inaccurately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nw6ZtW_0T8

Speight's first TD last Saturday to Crawford was a great throw. he can make them.

I watched John Navarre play from 2000-2003... I think Speight is a better QB than he was.

I think - while Speight hasn't been perfect, and has made some bad throws - the situation has been compounded by inconsistent, and sometimes bad, playcalling.

If we struggle this year (ie lose 3 or more games) I wouldn't be surprised to see some big changes on the offensive staff. We have a GREAT DC... I hope we can keep him for a long time. it would be a shame to not reach our full potential because we can't sort out our passing game at the same time.

I know everyone wants to blame Speight and demand we replace him with someone - anyone! - but... when a player takes a step back, it's not always his fault. we did bring in some new coaches and shuffle responsibilities in the offseason.

Is there some dysfunction on staff between Pep Hamilton and Drevno? Maybe?

Oh trust me, I'm not clamoring for Peters or O'Korn, far from it.

I'm just very disappointed that after a full season, and an entire season of conditioning/practice, he looks almost a little worse than last year.

Hopefully it's fixable, and quick. That game at Purdue is not the gimme we all thought it once was.

Is there some dysfunction on staff between Pep Hamilton and Drevno? Maybe?

Jesus man. This is way worse than someone screaming for a new QB. Get a grip!

The coaches are clearly working through things, but I'm sure the inexperience at TE and WR isn't helping anything. Either way, Speight needs to step up his game and execute when he's presented with open windows. His play has been very frustrating so far.

Pretty hilarious that Brown gets called out as a dud. Yes, there were some plays that Cincy could have hit to make things worse, but in the end they averaged 2.9 yards per play against a very vanilla defense.

The coaches are clearly working through things, but I'm sure the inexperience at TE and WR isn't helping anything. Either way, Speight needs to step up his game and execute when he's presented with open windows. His play has been very frustrating so far.

I'm struggling with Speight. I really actually like him and was excited about him coming into the season -- a returning QB that produced really well last year? Yes please. -- but it's really frustrating to see him consistently miss wide open receivers and then split two defenders perfectly the next throw. But unlike previous coaches, I have confidence that they're playing the best guy we have who gives us the best shot at winning.

It was Julius Curry and it came against OSU. Was easy to figure out when I looked it up, the only pick 6 of 2000.

Yeah i saw that to but some of the other games didn't have a box score where I was looking except a few games . Thanks !!!

I'm not calling for anyone's job! I expect they'll figure it out. If anything, I think there's no need to panic... yet. We're 2-0, and both games were more or less over in 3 quarters. we haven't been as dominant as we hope to be, that's all.

Pretty hilarious that Brown gets called out as a dud. Yes, there were some plays that Cincy could have hit to make things worse, but in the end they averaged 2.9 yards per play against a very vanilla defense.

I also don't understand that. I missed most of the 1st Q, but looking at the drive charts, they had 16 possessions... 8 ended in 3-and-outs. one was a 3-and-pick 6, another pick six, a 4 play drive that ended in a safety (11 of 16 so far) and then a couple short drives (4 plays and 6 plays) that ended in punts. they had one good scoring drive (85 yRds in 3rd Q), another decent drive (53 yards) end in a missed FG, and one short (38 yd) TD drive after the fumbled punt return.

so really on 13 of 16 possessions, they did nothing, or gave us pts (2 defensive TDs and a safety).

that's not good, that's GREAT defense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not that he was a dud, but the first few series, he brought a lot of pressure, mixing up his formations and the defense was hyped. At some point, the creativity stopped and the defense looked fairly average and we gave up chunks of yards. Then, toward the end of the game, you could see the lights come back on and the defense went back to what we expect them to be. -4 yards in the 4th quarter. Not sure if the plan was to go up big early and then coast so AF and the rest of our opponents didn't have more tape to watch, but the defense was completely different.

I love Don Brown, but those 2 quarters are why he was a dud. Again, could have been the gameplan.

D.

My only concern with Brown is he is over aggressive sometimes. Maybe to predictable . We just need some caution as offensives are trying to us that aggressive nature against us for some big plays. I know it's just nitpicking ..Brown is one great coach and worth every penny.

One thing was for sure. This team is very loose. I mean every tv timeout the guys where dancing to the music on defense . Gary was a dancing machine at timeouts. Maybe the team was just a tad flat playing Cincinnati over Florida. The 247 stat article I posted said not many teams have play 2 very good FBS defensive lines in back to back weeks like Michigan has. (That was from the article). Has any other top 10 team played programs like Florida and Cincinnati? Look not saying either are great at football right now we are just talking program name.. maybe usc ? Playing wmu and Stanford first two weeks .

Last edited:
The overthrows are driving me nuts. And for some reason, I can't remember that being an issue at all last year.

BTW after the Flag on Gary and stupid review for targeting he got really pissed off. He cranked it up even another notch after that flag.

The overthrows are driving me nuts. And for some reason, I can't remember that being an issue at all last year.

Yup. That is all Everyone in our section was talking about. It was so frustrating as he was like 5 to 10 feet over some guys heads. Then on the td drive to go up 24-14 he nailed Perry right in stride it looked like to me ..

3 Studs:

1. Ty Isaac - get this man in the endzone. He is finally starting to look like a 5-star recruit. I would like us to get him involved the passing game.

2. Tyree Kinnel - 11 solo, 15 total tackles plus a pick 6. This kid is flat out awesome.

3. Grant Perry - Gets open consistently. Best WR because of his route running skills.

Honorable Mention - My wife for being one hell of a trooper getting around on her severely sprained foot.

3 Duds:

1. Wilton Speight - Mr. Mediocre. Missed guys wide open in the middle of the field. The most egregious was when Bunting had no one within 15 yards of him. Bunting could have knitted a sweater and then caught the ball before anyone got there. Speight somehow couldn't see him.

2. O-line - After an encouraging week 1, they all looked hungover against Cincy.

3. Speight - Did I mention him already? Who cares? He should be mentioned twice. Cincy sucks and this should have been a perfect opportunity to work on getting in sync with the young WRs and TEs. He didn't even come close to accomplishing that.

Honorable Mention - The officials. Jesus tap dancing Christ they were terrible.

Last edited:
Back