Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

3 studs, 3 duds Week 2

Not that he was a dud, but the first few series, he brought a lot of pressure, mixing up his formations and the defense was hyped. At some point, the creativity stopped and the defense looked fairly average and we gave up chunks of yards. Then, toward the end of the game, you could see the lights come back on and the defense went back to what we expect them to be. -4 yards in the 4th quarter. Not sure if the plan was to go up big early and then coast so AF and the rest of our opponents didn't have more tape to watch, but the defense was completely different.

I love Don Brown, but those 2 quarters are why he was a dud. Again, could have been the gameplan.

There's the thought that they didn't want to throw the kitchen sink at an inferior opponent, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there was a letdown involved. And sure you can blame the coaches for that if you want, but it's just a fact of life especially when we're talking about such a young, inexperienced, talented, cocky group. We just watched a defense filled with Seniors and first round draft picks last year...yet this group takes offense to a simple mention of their lack of experience and the thought that there will be any dropoff at all. Not that I don't like that. I'd prefer they believe they're great. But there is no replacement for some aspects of experience, such as knowing you have to bring it each and every game, each and every play, regardless of the opponent or the boring playcall. Hopefully Brown and the staff can mitigate that and keep them motivated, but I think it's misplaced to lay blame at his feet for simply being the coach of young players.

I'm not calling for anyone's job! I expect they'll figure it out. If anything, I think there's no need to panic... yet. We're 2-0, and both games were more or less over in 3 quarters. we haven't been as dominant as we hope to be, that's all.

Nice try, but your original comment is still my #1 dud of the week.

M won. Past is not the future. Next challenge is the pesky option from the Air Force Academy, which, ironically, runs the football. They are fresh off a 62-0 drubbing of Virginia Military Institute, where Old Tom Jackson was their first football coach, who was also regarded for his tight formations, end-arounds and surprise-trick-plays. He was tragically killed after a dramatic upset win over The Union College of the North in the post-game celebration by his own players, who tossed him in the air and failed to catch him.

M won. Past is not the future. Next challenge is the pesky option from the Air Force Academy, which, ironically, runs the football. They are fresh off a 62-0 drubbing of Virginia Military Institute, where Old Tom Jackson was their first football coach, who was also regarded for his tight formations, end-arounds and surprise-trick-plays. He was tragically killed after a dramatic upset win over The Union College of the North in the post-game celebration by his own players, who tossed him in the air and failed to catch him.

Air Force scares the piss out of me. Our aggression could actually hurt us if the boys aren't focused.

I know it's crazy to say, but I was actually more worried about Cincinnati than Air Force. Not because of the quality of competition, but because I was slightly expecting what happened last week with a let down.

I think now they've had their bad game, have another week to iron out kinks, and will be a lot more focused.

I'm terrified of Air Force for one reason, cut blocks. Our d-line has little depth and they are about to be cut blocked on every Air Force snap next Saturday.

Air Force scares the piss out of me. Our aggression could actually hurt us if the boys aren't focused.

"With all due respect, I think that our boys will brush 'em aside without much trouble."

Cut blocking should have been outlawed a century ago. Its too fucking dangerous and we all know what happens when a player launches himself into another. You get a player out for 2yrs.......maybe out forever.

Cut blocking should have been outlawed a century ago. Its too fucking dangerous and we all know what happens when a player launches himself into another. You get a player out for 2yrs.......maybe out forever.

Pretty unbelievable that they're not banned when you think about all of the safety initiatives that have popped up over the past decade. But then again, not so unbelievable when you think of the idiots in charge..

BTW after the Flag on Gary and stupid review for targeting he got really pissed off. He cranked it up even another notch after that flag.

Not sure if you could tell on TV or not but after the BS call was reversed/not called for 'targeting,' Gary made a huge play and the stadium went nuts in a form of Bronx Cheer aimed at the officials.

I think the D was plain vanilla by intent and seemed to step up when needed. I'm not saying they took Cinci lightly or anything, but I think Brown kept it simple.

I think we also saw the inexperience in the secondary on a couple plays. That Bearcat WR/RB dropped a sure TD/Big play to force a punt and was WIDE OPEN..

Oh well, good problems to have and likely we'd have lost to Oklahoma had Mayfield played like that!

I think OK is the best team in the country. I'd take them over Bama right now. Mayfield is just incredible.

Our QB doesn't even need to be incredible. I'd take a very good QB at this point. Hell, I'd take last year's Speight.

AFA won't come in with the element of surprise or anything and though they run an unconventional offense, the talent gap is pretty serious. They will most definitely give a full 60 minutes of effort and play hard ..I'd expect a somewhat similar game to the one we saw in 2012 in that I would take AFA and the 26pts.

Apparently Speight is getting death threats online. Mo Hurst came out in his defense about it.

Unfortunately, the internet and social media gives everyone a voice. Some don't deserve to be heard.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Apparently Speight is getting death threats online. Mo Hurst came out in his defense about it.

Unfortunately, the internet and social media gives everyone a voice. Some don't deserve to be heard.

I hope they aren't real Michigan fans.

Shit like this makes me hate people sometimes. No matter how upsetting a game can be, it's still just a fucking game.

Back