Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Thoughts on Michigan football

hungry

The Rebirth of the Entitled Michigan Fan

Well, that didn't take long. Remember how when Lloyd was coaching Michigan to 9-4 seasons and some of the games were closer than we liked. Fans would get quite upset with this back then. Then we got to go through 7 years of Hell ( I know, I know, there was that 1 good year in there.) We all said that we learned a thing of 2 from those dark ages. That we wouldn't taking winning for granted again...

Well, coming up on the Cincinnati game, I think many of us did just that. We expected Michigan to cruise to a 70-0 victory. I did this myself. I felt myself angry during the game that Michigan was not winning by more. There were even a few times I was genuinely worried about the game, when the Cinci QB overthrew a wide open receiver that would've been a td and when the Cinci WR dropped a sure td pass, to name a couple. Now after the game, some of us are a bit upset that Michigan just did not win by as much as they should've.

Seemed like the score of the Florida game was not indicative of how the game really was. The game was more lopsided than the score. Then in week 2, it seems the score was, again, not indicative of how the game went. That game sure seemed a lot closer than the 22 point margin of victory.

In some ways, it's a good thing that the spoiled and entitled Michigan fan has reared his head. In some ways, it is not.

I'm not one calling for Speight to be benched. I am just one calling for him to get his shit together. I think that he is probably the best option, otherwise Harbaugh wouldn't be going with him. I think that is kind of scary given what we've seen. Hopefully, he just fixes whatever is broken and that kind of play doesn't cost us a game or 3.

Feel free to comment, respond, or add your own.

Last edited:
Am wondering from those at the game: How many times was there a lot of booing? I only heard booing on my TV after one play. I think it was about 3rd and 9 and Speight completed a pass right at the LOS that went for no gain. I have no idea if there were other options that Speight could've went to. He had a lot of time in the pocket, it seemed to me. Were there more options downfield on this play? Seemed like he just threw it to the first guy he saw open, which was not a good decision, as he got tackled immediately and the boos started raining down.

Last edited:
Wait till this young team loses a game or two because no one should think this team is going undefeated in my opinion. I think next season's team will be ready to do some real damage. I was at the game and was wonder why they were booing . I mean i was pissed he was overthrowning but didn't see people around me booing. Like monster said I was worried about Brown's over aggressive defense would come back to bite us. Just worried going forward against better teams.

Wait till this young team loses a game or two because no one should think this team is going undefeated in my opinion. I think next season's team will be ready to do some real damage. I was at the game and was wonder why they were booing . I mean i was pissed he was overthrowning but didn't see people around me booing. Like monster said I was worried about Brown's over aggressive defense would come back to bite us. Just worried going forward against better teams.

Yes. Seemed to me that he could've dumbed the D down a little for Cinci, but I guess that is not in their nature.

The offense, to me, seemed to try to be a little too tricky, as well. Some in the other threads said they thought it was vanilla. Me? I thought they tried to get too fancy. Maybe they were "working on things." I felt they should have lined up more and run right at them in the first half, especially when things were going wonky in the 2nd quarter.

Yes. Seemed to me that he could've dumbed the D down a little for Cinci, but I guess that is not in their nature.

The offense, to me, seemed to try to be a little too tricky, as well. Some in the other threads said they thought it was vanilla. Me? I thought they tried to get too fancy. Maybe they were "working on things." I felt they should have lined up more and run right at them in the first half, especially when things were going wonky in the 2nd quarter.

Spot on. Why be so tricky in the red zone .. sometimes you need to just try and jam the ball down a teams throat. I hope Mcdoom is not getting left behind. I understand People-jones is more talented but seems like he would be a great pick for punt returns . He has a year under his belt.. Jones looked shaky on punt returns .m

Jones is fine. He picks up the ball to save yards, its something we all bitch about others not doing. He's very elusive and gets great yards when there is nothing there. At the same time........get the fuck away from the ball and direct your blocker better so they dont get hit by the ball. Let him work out the kinks with these next couple games.

I don't know about entitled fans. Is it entitlted to see problems and discussing them? I don't think so. Not booing, but expressing concern about performance and the potential of it costing games, that is being a fan.

As a Michigan fan, I am entitled to see this program win another national championship damn it. I won't have you tell me otherwise.

I don't recall any booing aside from booing the refs laughable 'targeting' call on gary.

I don't recall any booing aside from booing the refs laughable 'targeting' call on gary.

No one in our section booed the team, just the refs. However, I did hear a few boos in neighboring sections after the Speight 0 yard crossing route to Black on 3rd down.

AT PUR, MSU, AT IU AT PSU. Then we'll see where this team is.

I agree road games will be real tough for this young team . Jim had a great quote after the game .
" You have to be patient, " Harbaugh said " You can't get experience without playing ".

No one in our section booed the team, just the refs. However, I did hear a few boos in neighboring sections after the Speight 0 yard crossing route to Black on 3rd down.

To me that would be booing the play call, if anything.

AT PUR, MSU, AT IU AT PSU. Then we'll see where this team is.

Looks like @Purdue will be a decent first test.

if they struggle there... time to do one of three things: 1) dial down expectations and remind oneself to enjoy watching and supporting one's team regardless of the outcome each week; 2) bitch and complain incessantly for weeks on end demanding players be benched/expelled and coaches be fired; or 3) turn off the TV and find something else to do on Saturday afternoons.

@Penn State will determine if we're capable of winning the conference or just going bowling in some Hurricane-probe area.

Last edited by a moderator:
there's also the 3 game stretch to end the regular season: @MD, @UW, OSU.

plenty of chances to be disappointed coming up. I don't think anybody goes undefeated in the Big Ten this year, except maybe UW if they can beat us. we just gotta hope we hold the tiebreakers... I guess if we had to pick one (1) loss, it would be to UW.

To me that would be booing the play call, if anything.

I doubt the players would care about that distinction. I'm sure they're just as protective of the coaching staff as the staff is of them. If they're a true team at least, and there's every indication that they are.

Booing the team is a stupid thing to do, but it's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. If anything it's another thing for them to rally against.

Jones is fine. He picks up the ball to save yards, its something we all bitch about others not doing. He's very elusive and gets great yards when there is nothing there. At the same time........get the fuck away from the ball and direct your blocker better so they dont get hit by the ball. Let him work out the kinks with these next couple games.

I agree. I think pulling him was the right thing to do since he was rattled, but you throw him back out there the next week. It might be a bit before he's a force at WR, need to get the ball in his hands somehow.

I wouldn't mind seeing him or someone else get a chance at kickoff returns. Crawford hasn't shown me anything yet.

It was a bit of the play call and the fact that Speight threw the ball to Black immediately even though he was blanketed. He had time to go to other options.

Agreed. And very short-lived, not what I'd call booing the 'kids' or Speight, just frustrated expression. I don't boo Michigan but what about AFA? We don't boo them because they're 'protecting our freedom' at some point?

Back