Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 149 Tigers vs white sux Sept 17 2017

Oh and I guess Boyd wasn't too bad today, 1 out away before the RF couldn't run it down not sure but maybe a bad route on that, a speedy might have been able to get to it

Boy...I watched that play about 4-5 times...I don't think anybody gets that ball. If they did it would have been a miracle catch.

Boy...I watched that play about 4-5 times...I don't think anybody gets that ball. If they did it would have been a miracle catch.

You're right in real time wasn't sure on replays it got out there quicker than I thought it did

I remember Milt Wilcox losing one in the ninth to the suxs also Jerry Hairston broke it up. 1983 I think

I was very young then

Might have been Wilcox, but going back past 35 years, my memory of many Tigers players fades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post
There was another Tigers SP who lost a no-hitter in the 9th with two outs in the 70s, IIRC. Just can't remember who it was.

I remember Milt Wilcox losing one in the ninth to the suxs also Jerry Hairston broke it up. 1983 I think

I was very young then

Tigers Tommy Bridges lost a perfect game in the 9th back in the mid 1930's, and of course JV has lost at least 2 more No-No's in the 9th. iirc vs. Shittsburgh and josh harrison, and the angels, and wall eye erick aybar.

No matter how unremarkable a pitcher's career in MLB might be, pitching a no-hitter or esp a perfect game, is something very rare and special to accomplish for making their name immemorialized in baseball history. To have it all taken away by one pitch or call, when it was the very last obstacle to fame, must be pretty devastating.

I was very young then

It was a perfect game up to that point ..

Too bad Body couldn't get that one out..Still awesome.

Matt Boyd’s road to mechanical prosperity began just over a month ago.

It was then when the Detroit Tigers’ left-hander – struggling through a third Major League season – decided to begin revamping his mechanics in earnest. The hope was to find more repeatability in his delivery and consistency in his results.

After a hiccup, allowing five runs in six innings to the White Sox on Aug. 27,
he proclaimed a “huge step” had been taken. In the starts that followed, more steps were shown: He had allowed six runs in his past three starts.

And then came this afternoon at Comerica Park, a mid-September Sunday afternoon in a season that has long since been lost for the Tigers, when it all came together for the 26-year-old lefty.

Matthew Boyd was one out away from joining Justin Verlander, Jack Morris and others in the Detroit Tigers’ no-hitter club Sunday.

Matthew Boyd came within one out of throwing the eighth no-hitter in Detroit Tigers history, the first by a left-hander and the first at Comerica Park in more than a decade.

Facing Chicago White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson with two outs in the ninth inning, Boyd fell behind 2-0 before Anderson struck a liner to the gap in right-center for a double.

The crowd of 25,663 gave him a standing ovation for his near-miss.

Boyd faced only two batters over the minimum -- a walk to catcher Rob Brantly was his only other blemish in the game -- and struck out five batters over 121 pitches in the Tigers' 12-0 win.

Boyd worked beautifully around the strike zone and was never challenged by the White Sox.
Boyd was pounding the strike zone with four pitches – fastball, slider, change-up and a curve ball. Through eight innings he’s induced 16 swings and misses and 13 called strikes. He was spotting the fastball up and in, and throwing his off-speed pitches down and on the corners.

He had many of the White Sox hitters making weak contract off their front foot.
Boyd retired Chicago's first eight batters, helped by a highlight play from shortstop Dixon Machado, before walking Brantly. Boyd recovered to retire the next 19 White Sox from there.

Boyd benefited from a great defensive play by shortstop Dixon Machado in the second inning but otherwise had plenty of weak contact and few close calls.

First baseman Efren Navarro’s basket catch while running into the tarpaulin along the first base line to end the top of the sixth inning stands out as the best.

Third baseman Jeimer Candelario retired Avisail Garcia on a sharp grounder to end the seventh inning. In the eighth, Boyd got two pop-outs and a soft grounder to quickly retire the White Sox.

The crowd greeted him with a cheer as he ran to the mound to start the ninth. He got a soft pop up from Adam Engel and then a ground-out from pinch-hitter Kevan Smith before facing Anderson.

The Tigers’ offense backed Boyd in a big way, scoring in each of the first six innings. In the third inning, Nick Castellanos extended his personal-best hitting streak to 14 games and doubled home two runs. In the fifth, Mikie Mahtook hit his 12th home run of the season, a two-run shot. In the sixth, Castellanos hit his 23rd home run of the season, also a two-run shot. In the eighth, Jeimer Candelario hit his second home run with the Tigers, a three-run shot.

They totaled 13 hits. Four players recorded multiple hits. Candelario reached base four times. Jeimer Candelario just continues to get on base. In five at-bats, he walked twice, singled twice and hit a three-run home run in the eighth – eight total bases and four RBIs.
Candelario has walked 10 times in 54 plate appearances over his last 13 games.

Though the offensive performance was certainly impressive, it paled in comparison to the lack of offense Boyd allowed in a nearly historic game. It will go down as the best start of his career so far and perhaps, the best he will ever throw, a masterful performance on a day the baseball world was once again, for a brief moment, fixated on Detroit.

In his last four starts, Boyd has allowed just six runs in 24 innings with 19 strikeouts.

The 26-year-old Boyd had not thrown a complete game in 52 previous major league starts and had never thrown a nine-inning complete game in 121 previous professional starts.

https://www.mlb.com/video/mahtooks-two-run-jack/c-1837437383?tid=8877502
Webvideo Highlights of the Tigers win and Matt Boyds near No-No over the whitesox.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/white-s...329#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=492329
Boxscore.

Roars
Matt Boyd — 1 hit, one walk, five strikeouts. Shutout.

Nicholas Castellanos — A home run, a double, and four RBI.

Jeimer Candelario — Hit his second home run as a Tiger, drove in four runs total, and knows how to play third base.

Your favorite Tiger here — Roars all the dang lineup today. This was a group effort on offense and defense alike.

Hisses
FU tim anderson

Last edited:
I'm hopeful that Boyd can carry this new routine over to next year.

Nice win today!!

Walt Terrell August 1986, Wilcox 1983.

No one in the 70s then. Forgot about Walt, the near-misses and (early) 1 hitters get no accolades. Wonder if and if so, how many near no hitters/PGs that any Tigers player(s) have ever broken up in the 9th inning, over the past 50 years? Seems like when an opposing SP is near a no hitter vs the Tigers, then he always gets it.

Last edited:
No one in the 70s then. Forgot about Walt, the near-misses and 1 hitters get no accolades. Wonder if and if so, how many near no hitters/PGs that any Tigers player(s) have ever broken up in the 9th innng, over the past 50 years? Seems like when an opposing SP is near a no hitter vs the Tigers, then he always gets it.

More no-hitters have been thrown at the Tigers than the Tigers pitchers have thrown.

I tweeted to Dan Dickerson and Mario, Woodbury and Fenech, and Tigers official site and another site if they could list Tigers pitchers who lost a no-hitter. Haven't heard back.

Didn't watch the game today. Just saw we were roughing up the white sux when I was checking the box score. I just kept checking the offensive stats. It never even dawned on me we had a pitcher on our roster who could even come close to sniffing a no hitter right now. Great job Boyd.

Last edited:
Just saw a tweet from @stats_mlb that the Tigers have has 6 no hitters broken up in the 9th inning since 2010. No other team has more than 3.

Damn it all. Saw the highlight and was pissed. Always happens to us.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2017/9...-boyd-no-hitter-nick-castellanos-tim-anderson
Statcast says Brad Ausmus may have cost Matt Boyd a no-hitter.
The catch probability of Tim Anderson’s double was low, but Castellanos should have been substituted.
BYBTB

Brad had replaced Castellanos 20x this season for better defense, likely while still manning 3rd, yet inexplicably left him in RF, when the score was 12-0, and obviously his bat was never going to be needed again in the game. Seems like putting the best and fastest defense available onto the field in the 8th-9th inning of a no hitter, would be a given by a good MLB manager. Esp when it wasn't 1 or 2-0. He even could have done so in the top 7th, for that matter. There is/was nothing left to play for this season, except for individual accomplishments.

But when questioned he got very angry and confrontational, instead of retrospective, maybe the Tigers FO should recognize what many fans have known about Ausmus for several years now..and that is he hasn't become any better at his job with experience.

All that he really needed to say was that he should have sent in more defensive replacements, when the score was 9-0, and that he wouldn't let something like that ever happen again. But it seems like people in authority nowadaze, are overwhemingly vain, arrogant, and very loathe to admit being human-making mistakes.

Last edited:
Weather the ball could be caught or not by anyone else they bring up a good point.. How much has Ausmus learned over the years. 12-0 game in a no hitter there probably should have had a better defensive player in there.. It seems in any 12-0 game, even if a no hitter wasn't on the line, it makes sense to get a replacement in there. Especially in September..

Back