Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Head Coach Search Matt Patricia

Honestly id have my doubts in cooters system.

I'm going to try and give Cooter a somewhat of a pass here. We all rip on his system but look at the talent at RB. We don't have "that guy" to be the horse. You really think Cooter had trust in Abdullah or Riddick to actually be successful? I don't. He trusted his QB tho. Bring in a guy like Bell and this offense will soar. I think a lot of it has to do with trust. It would have been interesting to see what Green was all about if he had more chances early...

He turned a 2nd rd pick with huge big play potential into trash.

He has one of the best receiving rbs in the league.

Top 5 passing offense.

There should be zero excuses as to why your rbs cant be productive. Absolutely none.

We have more run favorable situations throughout the game than any team in the league... and we never take advantage of them... ever. That's scheme... and qb decisions on rpos. Shouldn't matter who you are handing it to vs as many 6 man box we see.

Last edited:

Top 5 passing offense.

There should be zero excuses as to why your rbs cant be productive. Absolutely none.

We have more run favorable situations throughout the game than any team in the league... and we never take advantage of them... ever. That's scheme... and qb decisions on rpos. Shouldn't matter who you are handing it to vs as many 6 man box we see.

I don't think just because we have a prolific passing game that it means we will have a great running game. I think of the Saints or Patriots. Both great passing offenses but I don't think they have dominant running games. Effective but not great or even good. Obviously better than ours but that bar has been set pretty low.

Last edited:
I don't think just because we have a prolific passing game that it means we will have a great running game. I think of the Saints or Patriots. Both great passing offenses but I don't think they have dominant running games. Effective but not great or even good. Obviously better than ours but that bar has been set pretty low.

New Orleans ranked top 5 in the entire NFL in just about every rushing statisitic imaginable. New England was around the top 10 for most.

While I may not disagree with your original premise, I feel like those were two bad examples. Especially the Saints.

Top 5 passing offense.

Cooter turned Abdullah into trash?? That's fucking hysterical lol. Ok.
And you just said it. Riddick is awesome "catching" the football. Who gets credit for that?
OLine needs to stay healthy and we need a RB that's not afraid to hit the hole. AA and Riddick scare nobody "running" the football. 6 man fronts??? Yep. Know why? Our RBs are a joke!
One thing I will point out about Cooter tho. He doesn't recognize success in the run game whatsoever. It took Green 3/4 of the season to see action and he played decent. He only played because of injury too. Then you got Zenner. He's no beast but at least he ran hard and gained a few yds. Only to barely see the field the next couple of games. That's what scares me about JBC and that's why we need that "can't miss" RB....

Matt Patricia is not certain to hire a defensive coordinator with the Lions. Patricia will run the Lions? defense regardless. This was the job he was connected to throughout the offseason, and despite reports emerging the Giants had him among their finalists, that wasn?t the case. McDaniels and Pat Shurmur are believed to be the only HC candidates the Giants were considering.
ProFootballRumors

Ohio State co-offensive coordinator Ryan Day is reportedly new Titans head coach Mike Vrabel?s top choice to become Tennessee?s next OC, but Vrabel also has interest in Lions quarterbacks coach Brian Callahan.
Callahan has drawn coordinator interest around the league before, and could also be on the Jets? radar as they seek to fill their OC vacancy.
However, Detroit and new head coach Matt Patricia want to keep Callahan in place with the Lions.
ProFootballRumors

It showed the numbers didnt bear out positive adjustments much

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...tatistical-breakdown-detroit-lions-head-coach
Matt Patricia: The king of halftime adjustments?

Lack of adjustments has been a pet peeve of this fan base for as long as I can remember, will be interesting to see how Patricia performs in-game as a HC in this respect.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...-giants-mad-matt-patricia-chose-detroit-lions
The Giants are reportedly mad they didn?t land Matt Patricia

It seems they got all upset after the Minny OC and his offense had a off day.

I'd be curious as the HC if Patricia calls the defensive plays over the DC.

Lions have a good team so Patricia made the right choice.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...detroit-lions-coach-matt-patricia/1057337001/

Notable staff changes so far

Hired elsewhere
DC Teryl Austin - Cincinnati DC
DL coach Kris Kocurek - Miami DL coach
Assistant DL coach Matt Raich - Cincinnati

Out
LB coach Bill Sheridan
QB coach Brian Callahan
DB coach Alan Williams
OL coach Ron Prince

JBC expected to be retained

Five coaches were at the senior bowl