Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

Josh Gordon, Ashlon Jeffrey, and then Travis Benjamin are the 3 guys I can think of.

Marvin Jones is a FA as well. Boldin maybe on a quick fix. Bottom line, this time was coming. They need to draft a couple of WRs regardless if CJ is retiring or not. Thank the stars that it's a WR heavy draft this year...

Not an impressive list by any means . Someone mentioned Josh Gordon , whats the options on him ? Be great to somehow get him .

If Quick could stay healthy......

And we're going to have to trade for Gordon.

Last edited:
Marvin Jones is a FA as well. Boldin maybe on a quick fix. Bottom line, this time was coming. They need to draft a couple of WRs regardless if CJ is retiring or not. Thank the stars that it's a WR heavy draft this year...

WR class is absolutely stacked this year , if its gonna happen that CJ calls it quits , this was the year . Just check the list of potential 2nd-5th rounders on here .

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016WR.php

Also , i dont know where Corey Davis from Western is projected , but this kid is a beast

Last edited:
Will be very interesting to see what Jeffrey gets paid. On one hand, he's (imo) the best free agent WR by far. But on the other hand, the draft is so deep at WR (Burbridge plz) that teams might be reluctant to spend big.

Will be very interesting to see what Jeffrey gets paid. On one hand, he's (imo) the best free agent WR by far. But on the other hand, the draft is so deep at WR (Burbridge plz) that teams might be reluctant to spend big.

I prefer to go the draft route. As much as we need wide receivers there are more important positions of needs. IMO.

I prefer to go the draft route. As much as we need wide receivers there are more important positions of needs. IMO.

I really would like the Jaguars center if they aren't ready to roll with Swanson. He's not elite but he's very consistent, especially in pass protection. I don't think he'd break the bank.

Ebron will see more thrown his way.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ebron will see more thrown his way.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

det-gb-ebron-drop.gif

I like Josh Doctson from TCU to attempt to fill CJ's role. Keyword attempt.
Good receiver. 6-3 or 6-4 with a good catch radius. I read that Braxton Miller had a good senior bowl in terms of practices. If he didn't cost more than a late round pick, I'd be interested in him too. Lots of athleticism there and still learning the position. Tajae Sharpe from UMass and Sterling Shepard from Oklahoma are guys I'd be interested in too if we aren't looking to exactly fill Calvin's role in the offense.

Calvin Johnson - WR - Lions
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Lions' "goal" is to retain Calvin Johnson with a Larry Fitzgerald-esque extension.
That's after they convince him to keep playing. Johnson has yet to publicly announce his intentions, but multiple reports suggest he's serious about retiring. If he changes his mind, the Lions apparently won't be paying him his $15.95 million salary, which comes with a monumental $24 million cap number. Fitzgerald agreed to a two-year, $22 million deal under similar circumstances last offseason.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Feb 1 - 5:16 PM

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Calvin Johnson has already called Lions ownership to "thank them for everything."
In other words, he's saying his goodbyes. The league and the media that covers it seem to be having a hard time believing that Johnson, who doesn't turn 31 until September, is actually retiring, but all his actions suggest he's deadly serious. Unfortunately, it's looking like we've seen Megatron play his last snap.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

WR class is absolutely stacked this year , if its gonna happen that CJ calls it quits , this was the year . Just check the list of potential 2nd-5th rounders on here .

Also , i dont know where Corey Davis from Western is projected , but this kid is a beast

At least one analyst thinks that this WR class is weak and I have to agree. The only lock first rounder is Laquan Treadwell. The past two draft years have seen a tremendous amount of WR talent. Mayhew was never one for thinking ahead (our DT situation attests to that) and he rightly was fired for it.

From Jeff Brubach:

Detroit holds the 16th pick in the 2016 NFL Draft and with an impending free agent class light on wide receiver talent, OC Jim Bob Cooter?s offense could be hurting next season.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/60086/77/daily-dose-megatron-to-retire

The FA class is also tremendously weak. Jeffery will be a Bear either by contract or Franchise Tag. They are not going to let Marshall and Jeffery walk in back to back years.

As mentioned this is where Ebron as the 10th overall pick has to step up and be highly productive. Since he was drafted not as a TE but as a MUN he has play as a defacto 1a.

Other than that let us all send out some good mojo to CJ in hopes he comes back in what should be a good year schedule wise. Otherwise it may turn out to be a bad year regardless. Suh and CJ in back to back years is a lot of plays lost on both sides of the game.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Lions' "goal" is to retain Calvin Johnson with a Larry Fitzgerald-esque extension.
That's after they convince him to keep playing. Johnson has yet to publicly announce his intentions, but multiple reports suggest he's serious about retiring. If he changes his mind, the Lions apparently won't be paying him his $15.95 million salary, which comes with a monumental $24 million cap number. Fitzgerald agreed to a two-year, $22 million deal under similar circumstances last offseason.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Feb 1 - 5:16 PM

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Calvin Johnson has already called Lions ownership to "thank them for everything."
In other words, he's saying his goodbyes. The league and the media that covers it seem to be having a hard time believing that Johnson, who doesn't turn 31 until September, is actually retiring, but all his actions suggest he's deadly serious. Unfortunately, it's looking like we've seen Megatron play his last snap.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

This got bumped to the previous page from my post above. I think it is pretty important in terms of where we are at with CJ so I bumped it to the current page.

At least one analyst thinks that this WR class is weak and I have to agree. The only lock first rounder is Laquan Treadwell. The past two draft years have seen a tremendous amount of WR talent. Mayhew was never one for thinking ahead (our DT situation attests to that) and he rightly was fired for it.

From Jeff Brubach:

Detroit holds the 16th pick in the 2016 NFL Draft and with an impending free agent class light on wide receiver talent, OC Jim Bob Cooter?s offense could be hurting next season.

The FA class is also tremendously weak. Jeffery will be a Bear either by contract or Franchise Tag. They are not going to let Marshall and Jeffery walk in back to back years.

As mentioned this is where Ebron as the 10th overall pick has to step up and be highly productive. Since he was drafted not as a TE but as a MUN he has play as a defacto 1a.

Other than that let us all send out some good mojo to CJ in hopes he comes back in what should be a good year schedule wise. Otherwise it may turn out to be a bad year regardless. Suh and CJ in back to back years is a lot of plays lost on both sides of the game.

You mention a weak WR draft class......but the link you provided is talking about a week free agency class! The draft class is pretty damn deep. There isn't a Megatron in the group.....but quite a few 2nd and 3rd round talent guys.

I think that kid from Pittsburgh will be the best of the group when it's all said and done!

From Jeff Brubach:

Detroit holds the 16th pick in the 2016 NFL Draft and with an impending free agent class light on wide receiver talent, OC Jim Bob Cooter’s offense could be hurting next season.

Sorry for the formatting Booger. The source indeed points out that this is a weak draft class at WR. The exact quote is above. I agree with the source that it is a weak class at wide receiver in comparison to the previous three or four years where there was multiple guys with a legit high round one grade. All of them were productive receivers immediately.

The Free Agency stuff was all my own thoughts.

Just as an aside, I will need to hear what Elrod thinks of the Pitt wideout before I can even begin to formulate my own opinion.

Last edited:
Future Hall of Fame TE Tony Gonzalez said he believes Eric Ebron "needs to turn his routine around."
"From a talent perspective, he could be one of the best tight ends in the league," Gonzalez said. "I don’t know who’s teaching him out there. I don’t know what his coach is telling him, but obviously, I would think that he needs to turn his routine around. If he could figure out a routine that would help him get to where he should be, then he’ll be on his way. But a lot of guys don’t do that; they don’t figure it out." If Calvin Johnson retires, which it looks like that's going to be the case at the moment, the Lions are going to be looking for a serious third-year leap from Ebron. He needs to cut out the mental mistakes and the drops to ascend to that next level. The Lions hired ex-Miami coach Al Golden as TEs coach on Monday. Feb 1 - 6:59 PM

This is from one of KC's Detroit Free Press links Booger. Describing Josh Doctson:

This isn’t a great year for receivers in the draft, but Doctson could join Treadwell in the first round and is likely to be available at No. 16. He’s long -- 6-feet-3 and 195 pounds -- and extremely productive -- he had 1,327 yards in 2015 despite missing three games with a wrist injury -- but needs to bulk up.

From the Oakland Press:

Quinn has three avenues available: trade, free agency and the draft. There’s not much to pick from in free agent wide receivers which means they could be over-priced. The draft class is not particularly strong at the position.

Last edited:
I find this WR class interesting. While I don't think there is anyone really worthy of our 1st round pick, It seems like the mid rounds are loaded with guys that could be solid. I wouldn't mind picking up 2 WRs in the 3-5th rounds. Hopefully one can come in a be a year 1 contributor.

With Jim Bob limiting Stafford's responsibilities I'm thinking another smaller guy that moves fluidly would be a good decision. Those guys that can get out of breaks quickly and make something happen after the catch.

I find this WR class interesting. While I don't think there is anyone really worthy of our 1st round pick, It seems like the mid rounds are loaded with guys that could be solid. I wouldn't mind picking up 2 WRs in the 3-5th rounds. Hopefully one can come in a be a year 1 contributor.

With Jim Bob limiting Stafford's responsibilities I'm thinking another smaller guy that moves fluidly would be a good decision. Those guys that can get out of breaks quickly and make something happen after the catch.

That Fuller kid from Notre Dame would be the perfect fit for a smaller WR. AND, we could drop our Fuller.......2 would be WAY too many

Im not to high on this years WR draft class. A lot of the "upper echelon" WRs in the class are under 6 feet. Not what we need now that calvin is gone. We need a true outside the hash presence. Sure theres a lot of depth....I just don't think its very quality depth. We need a #1 or #2 WR that can line up every play outside. Paying Alshon Jeffrey might be our only option.

I'm thinking TJ Jones is going to have a large role this year, which I'm fine with. I'd have no problem with not drafting any wrs this year, unless Treadwell is available. Build the trenches and add some talent to the secondary

Back