Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sit, stand, kneel, or do whatever you like for the National Anthem

Sorry, was at work so couldn't respond right away.

Now I can, and I'll start with this to the bold type of your post: Horseshit.

I respect the men and women who have served/serve our country in the military....make no mistake about that, but you are out of your fucking mind if you think that's any reason we have the NFL and million dollar athletes, celebs, etc. Freedom in this country has not been threatened by outside forces for well over 100 years. No nation on earth could or can invade us and take these freedoms away. Our military does have a rich history of fighting for freedom though, such as in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, but it hasn't been our freedom at stake for a long time, because that is secure at least to the point that the only way it can be taken away is by the officials we elected, who could do it by passing laws, in which case the military could do nothing about it anyways.

So you can believe that protesting players are disrespecting the people of the armed services if you like, you can even believe that without our military there would be no millionaire players or sporting events, and you can believe that the moon is made of cheese, because that's your right, even when you're wrong.

well said.

We live in a country that labels labor reform movements in 3rd world places "terrorists" and sends in the marines and CIA to murder them, all so Dole can profit off of selling us cheap bananas, or Coca Cola can increase its market share. That's "freedom." For most of our military history, stories like those are "why we fight."

not only is it absurd to claim kneeling for the national anthem "dishonors" our troops... it's absurd to remain ignorant of our own history and believe this apple pie, flag-waving nonsense.

I stand for the anthem at any event it's played at, remove the hat, yadda yadda.

But I don't understand why the fuck we do it at domestic sporting events. It makes no sense to me. Why do we choose to honor troops, flags, and songs at something that isn't involving other countries or representing anything military? Granted, I think nationalism is just fancy form of tribalism, so I'm obviously a bit biased. But still, it just seems like false patriotism, similiar to the false rage I see white people showing for minorities.

what false rage do you see white people showing for minorities? are you talking about the .008% of the population in white supremacist groups?

Isn't this true because we have the most powerful military on earth?

"The Americans are a very lucky people. They're bordered to the north and south by weak neighbors, and to the east and west by fish."
- Otto von Bismarck

He also said: "God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."

our advantages have been mostly geographic & economic, and luck as well, I according to Bismarck. it was lucky our aircraft carriers weren't at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked.

no one has been able to bomb us or invade us due to geography. no nation in history has been able to build a navy big enough to transport an army big enough to cross an entire ocean and occupy the US. even during the Revolutionary War, the UK could only occupy a couple coastal cities.

after WWII, when everyone else's economies were in ruins, we accounted for half the world's economy. that's only how our current dominance arose. and it's being eroded because we're spending more than we should maintaining our military instead of building our economy, infrastructure, manufacturing capacity, etc.

believe me, I'm with you. What I meant was they are offending a bunch of people so they might have to pay the consequences of their actions (like not having a job like Kaepernick)

That's a point. Speach is protected from government cencorship, not employer cencorship.

what false rage do you see white people showing for minorities? are you talking about the .008% of the population in white supremacist groups?

here's one (1) example: link.

so much stupidity there... and from a state supreme court judge, no less.

For starters, who goes to preseason NFL games? what a loser.

and if you think this is an isolated opinion, view the comments on any given article about this story.

Isn't this true because we have the most powerful military on earth?

yes it is, but this argument is merely a distraction. the greatest threat to our liberties at the moment comes from within.

the reason these guys should respect the anthem is because the reasons they are protesting are all bullshit. America is not a fundamentally racist country. There is no epidemic of police brutality. Minority people aren't under attack or being targeted by white people or anyone else. It's all unsupported, factually inaccurate nonsense.

You are kind playing into the snowflakes' hand.

There is no Constitutional protection from being offended by Milo Yianopolous, not from Ann Coulter, nor from Bill Maher or Jerry Seinfeld, and also not from Kolin Kappernack.

Free speech is free speach.

Private companies and organizations - like the NFL- aren't the government. They're allowed to regulate the behavior of the people they pay; and if the people they pay don't like it, they can go get another job.

that's exactly right. I think "offended" was a poor choice of words. It's perfectly rational for someone to decide they're not going to support a product like the NFL because it's being hijacked by politics, particularly misinformed nonsense like the BLM agenda.

and if you think this is an isolated opinion, view the comments on any given article about this story.

I don't see anything racial about that but lets assume you're not wrong (big leap), let me correct my previous post. it should read .00800000001%.

Last edited:
yes it is, but this argument is merely a distraction. the greatest threat to our liberties at the moment comes from within.

the reason these guys should respect the anthem is because the reasons they are protesting are all bullshit. America is not a fundamentally racist country. There is no epidemic of police brutality. Minority people aren't under attack or being targeted by white people or anyone else. It's all unsupported, factually inaccurate nonsense.

you:
Head-In-Sand.jpg

do a happy dance, even. it's a free country.

if PC Conservatives won't ever watch football again because you don't do what they think you should, great! more beer and nachos for the rest of us!

We clearly need JJ Abrams to step in and save the country.

ok, let me correct my previous post. it should read .00800000001%.

you want to throw stats like that around, burden of proof is on you, liar.

you can't click on any given sports talk show without hearing middle-aged white guys rant about "disrespecting our military" or "boycotting the NFL" until these players stand and do what they're told.

you can't click on any given sports talk show without hearing middle-aged white guys rant about "disrespecting our military" or "boycotting the NFL" until these players stand and do what they're told.

no, it's on you - you're the one who is saying America is fundamentally racist and supporting ideas like there's a lot of white rage against minorities in America. The only burden I may have is disproving whatever propaganda or data you misrepresent in trying to support your lies - see my next post.

Last edited:

maybe you can, but that's not data. And the fact that a white guy is saying it doesn't make it about race - except to you, of course.

Last edited:

Why did he call them "draft dodgers"? Stupid!

That said...the rest of what he said is fine...he has the right to stop supporting the Browns if what they did offends him.

Where in the article did it say he was at the pre-season game?

That said...the rest of what he said is fine...he has the right to stop supporting the Browns if what they did offends him.

and where did it say anything about it being about race?

I took his comment about "never attending" another NFL game to mean he was at that one, but reading it again, that was probably a bad assumption on my part. guess he just watched it on TV. or more likely saw it on Fox News or got forwarded one of those email chain rants about it from an uncle that Right Wing Blowhards love to send to their loving families.

Back