Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The official 2018 nfl draft thread

What are your guys thoughts on drafting a rb this year?
Im back and forth on who we should draft. Penny was my clear favorite for awhile, then I was kind of thinking Chubb or his teammate Michel. Now, I'm thinking just a guy that can get the short yards, like LJ Scott or one of the bigger backs that can be had later in the draft.

What are your guys thoughts on drafting a rb this year?
Im back and forth on who we should draft. Penny was my clear favorite for awhile, then I was kind of thinking Chubb or his teammate Michel. Now, I'm thinking just a guy that can get the short yards, like LJ Scott or one of the bigger backs that can be had later in the draft.

Fixing the defense is more important imo. Additionally all the value rbs will be drafted in rd2.... more than likely before we pick. Harris Chubb and Michel will be gone early in rd 2. Guice wadley and kerryon Johnson are probably the next 3...1 or 2 might fall to us. Then you got lj Scott, Ronald Jones and penny in the rd3 range... but none of them might make it to our rd 3 pick.

Last edited:
Fixing the defense is more important imo. Additionally all the value rbs will be drafted in rd2.... more than likely before we pick. Harris Chubb and Michel will be gone early in rd 2. Guice wadley and kerryon Johnson are probably the next 3...1 or 2 might fall to us. Then you got lj Scott, Ronald Jones and penny in the rd3 range... but none of them might make it to our rd 3 pick.

That's why RB needs to be addressed real early. The combine will answer some questions about who goes where.

10 different oline combinations. Get the line healthy and run game will work

Not with our current RBs

They will add one in draft or fa. Riddick, abdullah and green will be on the team unless they trade abdullah.

Abdullah did well at 4.2 ypc rookie year and great first 2 games last year. Foot injury slowed him. Such a shame. Can't catch a break with health

Then you got lj Scott, Ronald Jones and penny in the rd3 range... but none of them might make it to our rd 3 pick.

LJ Scott won't be there in any round since he's returning for his senior year.

That's why I'm shying away from the big name rbs in the draft. Defense is going to be THE only priority in the first 2-3 rounds, or should be. Scarborough, Royce Freeman, and maybe a guy like Kalen Ballage should be available where we could afford to draft a rb. All 6' plus, and all 230 lbs

That's why I'm shying away from the big name rbs in the draft. Defense is going to be THE only priority in the first 2-3 rounds, or should be. Scarborough, Royce Freeman, and maybe a guy like Kalen Ballage should be available where we could afford to draft a rb. All 6' plus, and all 230 lbs

Depends on fa. Get a big name de and dt in fa plus tag Ansah then rb moves up as a draft priority.

Rb tops any lb or db need

Doesn't NE run a 3/4? If Patricia is our new HC, that likely means a transition to the 3/4 for the defense, meaning we need to draft heavily on the defensive front seven...

Not sure who to look at now.

Doesn't NE run a 3/4? If Patricia is our new HC, that likely means a transition to the 3/4 for the defense, meaning we need to draft heavily on the defensive front seven...

Not sure who to look at now.

He runs a hybrid. Does some of both. Not sure how this defense will end up. I bet we see some 3-4 this year.

He runs a hybrid. Does some of both. Not sure how this defense will end up. I bet we see some 3-4 this year.

I also wonder if they will try very hard to retain Ansah, given that he really only fits as a 4/3 DE. I can't see him dropping into coverage effectively.

I saw this last week. Another good article about his strategy..

https://www.quora.com/What-is-Matt-Patricias-defensive-strategy

Though it might depend on the DC we get.

I don't think the DC will matter. It's the coaches job to install the scheme, and the coordinator's job to run it effectively.

Whoever our next coach is (I'll believe it's Patricia when I see it... last week he was a lock to the Giants, and the week before that he was as good as a Lion) will determine the playbook and his coordinators will call plays from it and align packages within it.

I also wonder if they will try very hard to retain Ansah, given that he really only fits as a 4/3 DE. I can't see him dropping into coverage effectively.

He's 278 lbs and plays well vs the ruin. Think James Harrison on early downs as olb. In passing situations he can play de.in a 3-4 if needed.

Last edited:
He's 278 lbs and plays well vs the ruin. Think James Harrison on early downs as olb. In passing situations he can play de.in a 3-4 if needed.

Agreed. With his length and speed, he could make a very very good rush LB.

Ferrel, bryant and Wilkins all returning to Clemson. Big impact to rd 1.... they were all 1st rd projections.

Last edited:
Back