Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Head Coach Search Matt Patricia

I’ve noticed the Vrabel hype has started up, specifically these two articles:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...ats-pulpit-detroit-lions-head-coach-candidate

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...lions-coaching-search-mike-vrabel/1001549001/

Still on the fence about him. One year as a coordinator after a handful of years as a position coach, not sure if the experience is there yet, or if he has the connections to build a good staff. Reading some posts from Texan fans who wouldn’t exactly miss him if he goes (same went for Caldwell). On top of that there’s all the recent CTE stuff that could be of concern, I don’t know Vrabel’s history with head injuries but based on the amount of downs he played in the NFL there were probably more than a few collisions. His head may be perfectly OK, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

I’m not sure what Vrabel brings to the table, other than an NFL playing career, that Patricia doesn’t already possess, with more experience.

For those of you who like blitzing/aggressive play calling, Steve Wilks might be your guy

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/14/steve-wilks-carolina-panthers-defense

I like aggressive defensive schemes. But, there is a big difference between having Thomas Davis and Luke Kuechley cover backs and TE than having Jarred Davis and Tahir Whitehead.

Need development from Davis and Reeves Mabin and some good players in FA and the draft to run an effective aggressive scheme. But I REALLY hope we do.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...ensive-coordinator-matt-patricia-this-weekend
Lions to interview Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia this weekend after Giants, Cardinals.
Matt Patricia?s interview with the Lions will reportedly happen this weekend.
POD

#Patriots assistant interview plans: #Giants to Matt Patricia & Josh McDaniels Friday. ... #Colts talked with McDaniels last night. ... #Bears slated for McDaniels on Friday. ... #AZCardinals set for Patricia & LBs coach Brian Flores Saturday. #Lions get Patricia this weekend.

- Stability is good, change is risky
- Caldwell helped lift the Lions from an erratic mess to a stable level of respectability
- Head coach duties/responsibilities differ from coordinators

- Key head coaching criteria
1. Lead by example
2. Knowledge and ability to convey that knowledge
3. Ability to collaborate with staff and players rather than just bark orders
4. Provide structure and organization to the team day in and day out

- Skill/experience/system is not as important if the players/staff don't fully believe in their head coach
- Knowledge and preparation can be just as important as talent, which is why the ability to teach is so important for a head coach to influence and inspire those around him
- Building a staff is not just about finding the most talented people, but people who can work together the best
- Head coaches are expected to be responsible for everything and should have a high level of control within the organization (and what information should be released to the public)
- Caldwell built a solid foundation here and the next head coach has the opportunity to build upon that and continue to move the franchise in the right direction

I agree about mid season fires. That's never a good idea.. I do think Caldwell was a step up from Gym Shorts but I still think he needed to be replaced.

I agree about mid season fires. That's never a good idea.. I do think Caldwell was a step up from Gym Shorts but I still think he needed to be replaced.

I think the discussion of whether Caldwell was good for the Lions or not is an interesting one.

I didn't like the hire at the time, still don't, and I'm glad they finally moved on, but I do think that he added some credibility to the organization as a whole during his time here.

I don't know if we all remember how bad the 00s were, but that was true hopelessness. A playoff appearance or a winning season was nothing but a dream, only achievable through pure luck. Now we think that missing the playoffs at 9-7 is a massive disappointment, that people should be fired for it, and that the team could've done even better. That's a massive cultural shift just 9 years removed from a winless season.

Looking back I think it was unlikely to find a sole savior after 0-16, the process of returning to respectability was going to be quite long, a group effort with many stepping stones along the way.

- Schwartz was somebody this franchise needed to crawl out of the massive hole they dug for themselves in the Millen era. He got us excited about Lions football again, even if nobody took them seriously yet. Consistency was still a problem, so they moved on.

- Caldwell was brought in to steady this franchise and help develop Stafford. We dealt with the ups and downs, but the downs were not nearly as bad as they used to be and a reasonable expectation of success was set by the team, the fans, and even those outside Detroit. The Lions went from typically bad to typically average, no longer a laughing stock but still not a legitimate threat. Average was not good enough, so they moved on.

- The next guy needs to elevate this franchise from average to potential contenders, a few playoff appearances here and there were nice but now we want to see playoff wins. They've managed to build a solid foundation after the 0-16 debacle, now's the time to move to the next level.

I think the discussion of whether Caldwell was good for the Lions or not is an interesting one.

I didn't like the hire at the time, still don't, and I'm glad they finally moved on, but I do think that he added some credibility to the organization as a whole during his time here.

I don't know if we all remember how bad the 00s were, but that was true hopelessness. A playoff appearance or a winning season was nothing but a dream, only achievable through pure luck. Now we think that missing the playoffs at 9-7 is a massive disappointment, that people should be fired for it, and that the team could've done even better. That's a massive cultural shift just 9 years removed from a winless season.

Looking back I think it was unlikely to find a sole savior after 0-16, the process of returning to respectability was going to be quite long, a group effort with many stepping stones along the way.

- Schwartz was somebody this franchise needed to crawl out of the massive hole they dug for themselves in the Millen era. He got us excited about Lions football again, even if nobody took them seriously yet. Consistency was still a problem, so they moved on.

- Caldwell was brought in to steady this franchise and help develop Stafford. We dealt with the ups and downs, but the downs were not nearly as bad as they used to be and a reasonable expectation of success was set by the team, the fans, and even those outside Detroit. The Lions went from typically bad to typically average, no longer a laughing stock but still not a legitimate threat. Average was not good enough, so they moved on.

- The next guy needs to elevate this franchise from average to potential contenders, a few playoff appearances here and there were nice but now we want to see playoff wins. They've managed to build a solid foundation after the 0-16 debacle, now's the time to move to the next level.

When we finally made the playoffs I was thrilled. Been so long but we needed the next step, a playoff win or a division title. Neither has come.. Hopefully the next one and I hope Quinn is the guy..

Is McDaniels on our interview list?

Just a rumored name I think, not sure if he was ever a serious candidate or not. He?s had interviews lined up elsewhere so I?m guessing the Lions aren?t all that interested.

Just a rumored name I think, not sure if he was ever a serious candidate or not. He?s had interviews lined up elsewhere so I?m guessing the Lions aren?t all that interested.

I didn't think so. That's a pretty telling sign to me. Quinn has worked with McDaniels before and it appears he doesn't even think enough of him to interview him.

I think McDaniels is a fraud and I feel bad for the team that gives him a shot.

I didn't think so. That's a pretty telling sign to me. Quinn has worked with McDaniels before and it appears he doesn't even think enough of him to interview him.

I think McDaniels is a fraud and I feel bad for the team that gives him a shot.

He?s probably going to the Giants. I don?t think he?ll do much better than his first stint, could be decent with less power in a glorified OC role, but why bother?

Quinn is such a huge advantage for the Lions in this process. He should have more in-depth knowledge and insider information about guys like Patricia, McDaniels, and probably even Vrabel. If the Lions hire one of them, they?ll either be a success or they?ll go down and take Quinn with them.

Back