Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Baseball Books

biggunsbob

Give the board your favorite Baseball book. Write a review if you like.

I know a lot of you guys have read a ton of baseball books... I try and read a few every summer..

The baseball books I have read this summer are

'The Extra 2%'. By Jonah Keri 2011.
How Wall Street Strategies Took a Major League baseball team from Worst to First.

'Shoeless Joe and Ragtime Baseball'. < By Harvey Frommer 2008

'The Samurai Way of baseball'. By Robert Whiting 2005.
The Impact of Ichrio and the New Wave From Japan.

'AL Kaline' By Jim Hawkins 2010.
The Biography of a Tigers Icon.

'The Curse Of Rocky Coilavito" 1994 By Terry Pluto.
I forgot this one I need to pull it out for this weekend series coming up I read it earlier this year and the tribe had a losing streak...
I enjoyed them all...

the glory of their times
the teammates
summer of '49
cobb
the book: playing the percentages in baseball

My last baseball book was '61. I read it when it came out but I don't read many sports books. I like to read Espionage and Mystery books.

Give me a good CIA operative who kills other guys for his country, like the Flynn books staring none other than Mitch Rapp, of course :)

Some other baseball books that are really good are in no particular order are that I have read over the years.

'MoneyBall'- by Micheal Lewis 2003. (You either are a believer or you are not)

"Crazy 08'- By Cait Murphy 2008.
(How a Cast of Cranks, Rouges, Boneheads and magnates created the Greatest year in Baseball history. 1908 The NL had two teams finish a game out of first,and the AL had two teams finish a half a game back and 1.5 games back in one of the great pennant chases of all time.

'The Bad Guys Won'- 2004by Jeff Pearlman Aabout the 1986 Mets.

'Turkey Stearnes and the Detroit Stars' 1994 by Ricard Bak...The Negro Leagues in Detroit, 1919-1933.

'When Chicago ruled Baseball' 2006 By Bernard a. Weisberger. About the 1906 World series.

'Whatever happened to the Hall of Fame' 1995 by Bill James..
'Down To the wire' 1992 by Jeff Miller.... About the 1967 AL pennant race.
'When Boston Won the World Series...2003 By Bob Ryan...
'Sleeper Cars and Flannel Uniforms...2001 by Elden Aulker Tom Keegan...

The year Babe Ruth hit 104 Home runs'..2007 By Bill Jenkinson...

'Red Legs and Black Sox...2006 by Susan Dellinger... Edd Roush and the Untold Story of the 1919 World Series...

'Ninety Feet From Fame...2004 by Mike Robbins.... Close Calls with baseball Immortality.

'Eight Men out' ...1963 by Eliot Asinof... About the 1919 Black Sox scandal. ( i liked it but I have a newer book I am reading a right now about the same year in questioned)...

The Numbers game 2004 by Alan Schwarz... Baseballs lifelong fascination with statistics.

The Iron Horse by Ray Robinson. Just read a bio on Thurman Munson (can't remember the author now).

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Some other baseball books that are really good are in no particular order are that I have read over the years.

(How a Cast of Cranks, Rouges, Boneheads and magnates created the Greatest year in Baseball history. 1908 The NL had two teams finish a game out of first,and the AL had two teams finish a half a game back and 1.5 games back in one of the great pennant chases of all time.

'Turkey Stearnes and the Detroit Stars' 1994 by Ricard Bak...The Negro Leagues in Detroit, 1919-1933.

'When Chicago ruled Baseball' 2006 By Bernard a. Weisberger. About the 1906 World series.

'Red Legs and Black Sox...2006 by Susan Dellinger... Edd Roush and the Untold Story of the 1919 World Series...

'Ninety Feet From Fame...2004 by Mike Robbins.... Close Calls with baseball Immortality.

'Eight Men out' ...1963 by Eliot Asinof... About the 1919 Black Sox scandal. ( i liked it but I have a newer book I am reading a right now about the same year in questioned)...

The Numbers game 2004 by Alan Schwarz... Baseballs lifelong fascination with statistics.

You should check out burying the black sox, it's the best book about the scandal.

mjsb2 said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Some other baseball books that are really good are in no particular order are that I have read over the years.

You should check out burying the black sox, it's the best book about the scandal.

Yes I think on the old Tiger board you or someone else mentioned 'Eight men out' was full of some mis-information so I picked up the book you mentioned above and have read about 20 pages..
Thanks good book so far...

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
mjsb2 said:

Yes I think on the old Tiger board you or someone else mentioned 'Eight men out' was full of some mis-information so I picked up the book you mentioned above and have read about 20 pages..
Thanks good book so far...

Yeah that was me, burying the black sox has a lot more information than was available to Asinof.

Reading October Men by Roger Kahn. It takes about 150 pp to get to the 1978 Yankees! He spends forever talking about everything that occurred in baseball history up to that point. Once he gets to 1976, it starts getting good. Billy Martin stories are ridiculous. The man was a sociopath.

Back