Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Florida Gator starters in BIG trouble!

Whoa losing Zaire almost guarantees us a win. Not sure if i want that or beating them at full strength. Damn.

The WR listed is their best playmaking WR as well and already has been on trouble. I cant find much more information on it as of now.

$150,000 of credit card fraud seems a little unbelievable, given the fraud detection software banks have in place nowadays.

if Zaire is suspended or expelled, who is the next man up? I assume he only transferred there because they had no one of note.

The next man up I believe is Felipe Franks a RS Fresh he was ranked just in ahead of Peters.

A few florida fans I have talked to say there is nothing to this story. They are claiming the football players are given a visa card to cover books and other school expenses and a player took it to Best Buy bought stuff then reported it stolen and sold the items. He then bragged about what he did and so other players as many as 7 did it and Florida caught on.

The next man up I believe is Felipe Franks a RS Fresh he was ranked just in ahead of Peters.

A few florida fans I have talked to say there is nothing to this story. They are claiming the football players are given a visa card to cover books and other school expenses and a player took it to Best Buy bought stuff then reported it stolen and sold the items. He then bragged about what he did and so other players as many as 7 did it and Florida caught on.
Ball State got in trouble for something similar. Players used their cards to buy other students books. I don't remember the penalty, but the NCAA hit them with something.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Why would these actions be considered "nothing?" True, the $150k amount sounds like a lot, but these actions are still illegal.

Last edited:
I also doubt this is just the players using their card. From what I've seen, there's a female UF student pressing charges.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

$150K divided between 5 players comes to an average of $30K per player. That doesn't seem like a lot. Also, I expect that these cards are not just provided to the football players, but to all athletes at Florida, and I suspect that the abuse is not limited to the football team. So, the $150K amount may just be a part of a much larger sum. This may be a much bigger mess for Florida.

I agree Tinsel. If these were "normal" people doing this they would be prosecuted, but these are D1 athletes. This will get turned into an argument for why these student athletes need to be paid.

I'd be immediately terminated from my job.

I could probably plea this case down to a very minor charge, given it would be my first offense and all that, but I'd still be out of a job and my future employment options would be extremely limited forever.

I'd be immediately terminated from my job.

I could probably plea this case down to a very minor charge, given it would be my first offense and all that, but I'd still be out of a job and my future employment options would be extremely limited forever.

The article says these were other students' cards, not their own stipend cards - full on identity theft, criminal fraud and making false police reports.

In post 8 thewolverines24 states he has seen reports that one of the alleged victims has made a criminal complaint.

So we'll see.

$150K divided between 5 players comes to an average of $30K per player. That doesn't seem like a lot. Also, I expect that these cards are not just provided to the football players, but to all athletes at Florida, and I suspect that the abuse is not limited to the football team. So, the $150K amount may just be a part of a much larger sum. This may be a much bigger mess for Florida.

it's not the avg. per player, but the amount on one or two cards.

I don't have any more facts than what's been reported in this thread, but I know if excessive charges, or unusual charges (outside of the cardholder's typical purchases, or geographic area) usually result in a call from the bank to the card owner to confirm the charges are legit.

nevermind $150,000... I'd think a few thousand - $10,000 would be enough to trigger a call.

maybe these guys were sophisticated enough to game the banks fraud triggers... making smaller purchases for things that didn't look suspicious and reselling stuff for cash. If so, I'd think they should be in deeper shit than if it was a one time indiscretion.

The part about using the cards of "college girls" didn't register with me until I went back and reread the article. Just another example of college girls getting fine young men into trouble. When will these young men learn?

it's possible if the girl in question is Bill Gates' daughter, $150k in fraudulent credit card charges go pass by unnoticed for a while.

I think if you had Bill Gates credit card, you could buy all of the University of Florida and no one would notice.

Rumors on twitter saying as many as 5 players could be suspended in the next day or two

Jordan Smith, Antonio Callaway, James Houston, Kadeem Telfort, Richerd Desir-Jones, have been suspended from #Gators football team

Back