Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Justin Upton traded to Angels

Or maybe he went to them about opting out of the contract after this season so they traded him for something instead of getting nothing for him. I haven't been a fan of some of the moves that Avila has made, but let's hold off on the reckless judgement.

I'm not sure I see that.. Even if he was going to opt out I doubt he would tell anyone..

I'm not sure I see that.. Even if he was going to opt out I doubt he would tell anyone..

I totally could. Maybe he didn't want to be in a rebuild and telling the team he was going to opt out would certainly get him traded. As fast as this happened, it makes perfect sense that something like this happened.

Could also be that the team asked him what his plans were and he was honest with them.

After the season he's had and the way he finished last year, opting out of that contract was a very good possibility.

I totally could. Maybe he didn't want to be in a rebuild and telling the team he was going to opt out would certainly get him traded. As fast as this happened, it makes perfect sense that something like this happened.

Could also be that the team asked him what his plans were and he was honest with them.

After the season he's had and the way he finished last year, opting out of that contract was a very good possibility.

The more I think about it I think you're probably right.. Because they didn't seem to try and trade him in July but yet now, something changed..

This seemed to come out of nowhere.. I don't like straight salary dumps. Bad system and #11 prospect.. Hopefully he's worth something. Total rebuild doesn't work unless you get something decent back..

This is my issue too. I understand dumping these huge salaries and going into rebuild mode but if you don't get much in return the rebuild is going to take 10+ years to make it back to a .500 record. We're not working with much from our farm system and I don't trust Avila and company to get us back to the promise land any time soon. I just cringe thinking about watching this team for the next 5 years.

This is my issue too. I understand dumping these huge salaries and going into rebuild mode but if you don't get much in return the rebuild is going to take 10+ years to make it back to a .500 record. We're not working with much from our farm system and I don't trust Avila and company to get us back to the promise land any time soon. I just cringe thinking about watching this team for the next 5 years.

I know some want JV traded but I might be at the "..cringe watching the next 5 years" if he is traded.

Nomad Maybin...maybe the Edwin Jackson of OFers before his career ends, Jackson has had his best season so far in '09 as a Tiger.

Even if Upton wouldn't have opted out, this franchise is not likely going to be a playoff, much less a WS contender in the forseeable future. But he is gone, and the Tigers teams to follow for the rest of this decade might be harder to watch, more often than not.

Maybe the Angels acquiring Upton will be enough for them to clinch a WC slot, along with the Twins, the latter who somehow have managed to contend for most of the season, while sporting a negative double-digit RD. They are currently only a half-game behind the Yankees, for the HF WC spot, and this while the shit-listers have the third best positive triple-digit RD in the AL.

Despite the loss of Upton, I don't see the Tigers moving up to any better than 4th for draft position, but I could be wrong with ~a month left and in the Sept stretch-run, where they are now even more unlikely to play spoilers. But even if they are to move up to #3 #2 or #1, we fans still have to consider who will be doing the rounds-picking.

EDIT: Buh-bye JV, hello #1 draft-pick?

Last edited:
WTF ARE WE DOING? We now have given away 4 Cy Young winners in the last few years. We trade away our best assets ( J.D./ UPTON/ WILSON/ VERLANDER). All that's left is a washed up Martinez an aging Kinsler and Miggy. WE'RE GOING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.

WTF ARE WE DOING? We now have given away 4 Cy Young winners in the last few years. We trade away our best assets ( J.D./ UPTON/ WILSON/ VERLANDER). All that's left is a washed up Martinez an aging Kinsler and Miggy. WE'RE GOING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.

We had to do it. Oh wait I'm not Tom :yay:

We had to do it. Oh wait I'm not Tom :yay:

Whether or not anyone is for the fire-sale is irrelevant b/c we had no say in it anyway. The franchise was losing money every year, and once the patriarch passed, then it was only a matter of how and when the Ilitch clan was gonna cut their losses. Obviously given the payrolls of the indians and royals recent success, spending boatloads of $$$ isn't always necessary, and doesn't assure building a championship-worthy team.

Back