Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Basketball early games thread

We're shooting 80% and are winning the rebounding 12-2 with 6 minutes to go in the half and only lead by 1 lol

When the hell are you going to come to play mcquaid

He does when we are up against a cupcake and leading by 12. Really a bummer after having Bryn Forbes. In practice mcquaid is a on fire and in a game he cant hit the side of a barn.

Not watching the game but see a bunch of zeroes next to Ward's name (1 steal). Did he get himself in the doghouse again?

Last edited:
Wonder what the school record for turnovers in a game is. DesertSpartan from our old ESPN board would probably know.

Crazy game and fun to watch. Turnovers weee out of control, but I think Illinois pressure defense was something we needed experience against.

How many dunks did we have? 15? Bridges with 31. JJJ with 21-11 and 6 blocks. He should set the school record for blocks in a season this Friday.

Good to get a double digit road win, but geez. They aren't going very far in the NCAAs if they can't get the turnovers under control. They are not often going to be able to shoot 70% to make up for it.

missed another one - was at the Rock for Red Wings at Devils. nice road win for wings, sounds like a decent but sloppy road win for the Spartans. what is it with the turnovers. also, I said same thing last year - enough teams are having their best offensive night against us. how much of that is uninspired or just bad defense as opposed to opponents just bringing their best?

IL is a different animal, they overplay everything to get steals. That means that they get a lot (over 18 per game) but they give up a bunch of easy looks at the basket via backdoor cuts. We had a lot of both, if they played more of a traditional pack line type D to take away the interior post, we would have had a lot fewer turnovers but not shot as well, pick your poison. I don't think you can look at one stat without looking at the other.

also, JJJ draft stock has to be through the roof.

IL is a different animal, they overplay everything to get steals. That means that they get a lot (over 18 per game) but they give up a bunch of easy looks at the basket via backdoor cuts. We had a lot of both, if they played more of a traditional pack line type D to take away the interior post, we would have had a lot fewer turnovers but not shot as well, pick your poison. I don't think you can look at one stat without looking at the other.

Yeah, 21-11 with 6 blocks and several dribble drive shots was impressive. He will go top 6 or 7, maybe as high as 4th.

He played angry last night and was on another level. He's also a lot stronger than his frame suggests. And call me crazy, but he may have gotten taller this year alone, dude looks a legit 7 feet, and with that wingspan, he's a total mismatch. And he is an absolute monster defensively, he switched on guards over and over and they did nothing against him, he's took quick and too long.

He just turned 18 a few months ago, and his family is already multi millionaires. Based on that, before the season I was thinking we had a chance for him to return for a 2nd season. But after watching him, no way should or will he come back. Kid could be the next Greek Freak, his skill set is sick.

I give him a < 5% chance of coming back. He is lottery pick good.

winning the NC could be the best chance of getting him and Bridges back - the odds would still be razor thin but I can't imagine either, let alone both coming back unless they wanted to defend a title.

I give him a < 5% chance of coming back. He is lottery pick good.

Normal kid and it's a 0.0% chance he comes back. Jackson only barely being 18 right now and his parents being rich already bumps that up to your <5% IMO too. I'm not sure that Marvin Bagley Jr. has as high of an upside as JJJ does, although Marvin is clearly a better player right now.

There is no way JJJ is coming back, and he probably shouldn't no matter how much money his family has. Most project him to be top 6 right now, which is higher than Bridges last year. Same deal with Bridges coming back. He hasn't done himself any favors and we should feel pretty darn fortunate that he did, even though he hasn't been as consistently dominant so far as we'd like.

As for the Ill game. I get that they pressure all over the place. There is still no way a team should turn it over 25 times. Maybe part of the issue, besides Winston still being a little inconsistent in his decision-making, is that Langford and Bridges at the 2 and 3 spots are probably no more than average ball handlers, in addition to us playing 2 true bigs. That is where we need Tum Tum, but I saw he turned it over 4 times himself.

Last edited:
There is no way JJJ is coming back, and he probably shouldn't no matter how much money his family has. Most project him to be top 6 right now, which is higher than Bridges last year. Same deal with Bridges coming back. He hasn't done himself any favors and we should feel pretty darn fortunate that he did, even though he hasn't been as consistently dominant so far as we'd like.

As for the Ill game. I get that they pressure all over the place. There is still no way a team should turn it over 25 times. Maybe part of the issue, besides Winston still being a little inconsistent in his decision-making, is that Langford and Bridges at the 2 and 3 spots are probably no more than average ball handlers, in addition to us playing 2 true bigs. That is where we need Tum Tum, but I saw he turned it over 4 times himself.

exactly - prior to last night Illinois opponents were averaging 17.9 turnovers per game. We turned it over 25 times. I can't say for sure but that has to be more than 2 standard deviations above their average. A top 5 team, even one that's a bit turnover prone should be able to keep TOs below the average against any team and we missed it spectacularly.

Matt hit the nail on the head. The issue is that Langford has decent handles and Bridges is God awful so our point guards have nowhere to go with the ball. Mcquiad is pretty average too but at least he pump fakes and gets to the rim sometimes. There?s no way you win a national championship averaging 15 turnovers per game. Not happening

I looked and they did turn Michigan over 15 times, and UM under Beilein is always near the top nationally in taking care of the ball.

But still, 25 is too many under any circumstance.

Last edited:
uofm is averaging just under 10 turnovers a game while we are around 15. both fared worse against Illinois but they weren't as bad as we were at 1.7x our average. no matter what, 25 TOs is a disgrace. but that argument is bullshit - ok so we along with just about everyone else can expect more than avg turnovers against Illinois, so what? even if we were able to keep it in the high teens, we still have a massive turnover problem that will kill virtually all hope for winning the NC.

Last edited:
Back