Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who made it onto the Mount Rushmore of Detroit Tiger Greats and who was left off

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2018/01/unveiling_our_own_mount_rushmo.html#incart_river_index
Who made it onto the Mount Rushmore of Detroit Tiger Greats -- and who was left off.
Mlive

Tigers' Mount Rushmore: Rock-solid picks.
It's hard enough choosing an all-time Detroit Tigers team for a franchise has been playing ball for 118 years.
Picking the best four to ever wear the Olde English D? Nearly impossible, especially when you consider there are more than two dozen former Tiger players and managers in the Baseball Hall of Fame with two more on the way this summer.
But that's exactly what we've done.
Using a mix of stats, lore and barstool debate, we have settled on the Mount Rushmore of Tiger greats.
Read on to find our picks, along with a look at 40 players who we considered but didn't make the cut.

Last edited:
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2018/01/unveiling_our_own_mount_rushmo.html#incart_river_index
Who made it onto the Mount Rushmore of Detroit Tiger Greats -- and who was left off.
Mlive

Tigers' Mount Rushmore: Rock-solid picks.
It's hard enough choosing an all-time Detroit Tigers team for a franchise has been playing ball for 117 years.
Picking the best four to ever wear the Olde English D? Nearly impossible, especially when you consider there are more than two dozen former Tiger players and managers in the Baseball Hall of Fame with two more on the way this summer.
But that's exactly what we've done.
Using a mix of stats, lore and barstool debate, we have settled on the Mount Rushmore of Tiger greats.
Read on to find our picks, along with a look at 40 players who we considered but didn't make the cut.

Good 4 picks.

Yeah these 4 are ok based on baseball stats alone for sure .. Sadly Cobb was a colossal Racist Prick.

Good 4 picks. I can't think of anyone who could push any of those guys off the list

If I would do a list of the best Tigers I've seen play(I'm 44), it would be Trammell, Whitaker, Verlander and Miggy. My favorite to watch would be Lance Parrish, Jack Morris, Cecil Fielder and Miggy.

I would have Trammel in place of Miggy. He is a HOF player, played his entire career for the Tigers and won a WS with the Tigers. A resume for all time great Tigers should not include stats and accomplishments while on another team.

Leaves out too many other deserving Tigers greats, I would prefer separate categories by OF/IF/C-DH-PH/SP/RP-CL.

Last edited:
My only pick to take Miggy's place would be the great Charlie Gehringer.
Miggy and then Trammell. it's all personal taste.
Actually the Mount Rushmore positions or Outfielder, Infielders, Pitchers has merit.
One player left off this list was the very underrated and great Tigers Leftfielder Bobby Veach https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/veachbo01.shtml
who played on two of the all-time greatest outfields with Cobb and Crawford and later Cobb and Heilmann.

Cannot argue with those four players. Cobb has amazing stats, looks like one of the top 5 players of all time

It wouldn't have been a bad idea to have all 4 career Tigers. So Trammel for Miggy is a nice idea. Maybe a pitcher - Dauss , Newhouse (though he played his last 2 years in Cleveland and many say he dominated during the war when some of the best players were in the war) but he was good.

As for short careers in Detroit, George Kell. Great player, and almost 40 years in broadcasting. Ernie gets the attention but Kell was just as important to Detroit.

I'm biased to Gehringer, I always played 2nd base lol but can't forget about Norm Cash and George Kell even though he didn't play THAT many season with us, was damn good when he was.

Last edited:
I'm biased to Gehringer, I always played 2nd base lol but can't for get amount Norm Cash and George Kell even though he didn't play THAT many season with us, was damn good when he was.

I always played 2nd too. I had a strong arm but you put me at 3B and I was throwing the ball into the stands. Accuracy from 3rd was terrible. I just couldn't hit the ball very well. I was a 2B Mark Belanger.

Back on topic, Gehringer on Mount Rushmore has merit.

Yeah these 4 are ok based on baseball stats alone for sure .. Sadly Cobb was a colossal Racist Prick.

IMHO:
Sadly, most MLB'ers (..and perhaps true about most white men ..period) during Cobb's era were probably as racist as Cobb ..they just didn't have the balls to make it a part of their public personna. The only reason Cobb gets axed for it is because he was brazen (brave) enough to let anybody and everybody know.

btw: Cobb, Greenberg, Kaline, and Miggy are great picks ..just too bad no room for Lifelong Tiger Charlie Gerhinger and beloved Voice-Of-The-Tigers Ernie Harwell. To make room for Gerhinger and Harwell ..I could see good reason to bump Hank Greenberg ('only' 12 seasons as Tiger) and Miggy ('only' 10 seasons as Tiger.) But again ..Hank and Miggy each have some of the Greatest offensive seasons in MLB history ..and they remain good choices for Tiger Mt Rushmore.

Last edited:
I think I'd go with Greenburg over Miggy just because he spent his entire career (except his last) with the Tigers.

Back