Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wind Gust out of nowhere

biggunsbob

My wife and I were watching TV and finishing up dinner and I get up to get some more water and it was a tad dark out side but noting worrisome. It was raining just a tad but still sunny to. This this was a random dark cloud. As I was walking back to the couch I notice a huge gust of wind blowing some papers off the table. As I go to pick them up abother huge gust blows through and takes this canopy we had bought last year and twist it and flips the back side up on the roof. It was over in like 15-30 seconds. Like a mini tornado that went over our house. Not one other house was hit on either side. My neighbor wanted to know what we were doing on the balcony as we were taking the wrecked canopy down and he was baffled as we were. It was so freaking strange.

I have experienced brief and strong isolated winds a few times, the last time being ~23 years ago. I was at my brother's house in his backyard, while doing "some assembly required" on a gas-powered lawn tool, since he lacks the patience to do that kind of work. I had the paper instructions and booklet spread out on the lawn next to where I was putting the rig together...when suddenly a very strong gust of wind sprung up out of a nearly cloudless and calm late summer afternoon, and began to blow everything away across the yard. I ran after, and tried to grab some of the flying paperwork, but then a small whirlwind hit, and sucked all of it spinning up to ~40ft in the air and carried it all away..lol..we couldn't do jackshit, but wave buh-bye.

Last edited:
weird.

those things happen though.

kinda similar phenomenon happens at sea: rogue waves, which sound actually a little more horrifying

we get microbursts fairly often in Colorado, actually. One time our picnic table got lifted off the ground by the wind picking up the umbrella and dropping it feet out in the the yard. Can happen almost out of the blue when a front comes i

could be microbursts. happened in my home town about 10 years ago, destroyed a bunch of trees in one of the parks and in some private yards in the path.

edit: it was 20 years ago July 4th. Killed 10 people in Michigan.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/07/04/us/storms-kill-10-in-michigan-and-leave-wide-damage.html?mcubz=3

that's probably what it was... those are scary too (link)

just another one of the thousands of ways to die/get seriously injured on this planet while minding your own business

Whatever it was it was strange .. microbuust sounds as close as anything. That's what I get for not anchoring down the damn canopy.

Last edited:
Back