Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU hires recruiting Coordinator

Nearly every big time recruit in the Midwest has come through his camps in the last several years.

Damon webbs dad was quoted ad saying that this would have changed things w his sons recruitment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

It's no coincidence that tomorrow Michigan State will have several high profile recruits on campus with Blackwell. Brian Cole, Kyonta Stallworth, Michael Webber, Josh Alibi, and Jahru Campbell will be spending time with Blackwell and Dantonio tomorrow for unofficial visits.

I too saw that Damon Webb's dad said that had MSU hired Blackwell earlier, Webb would be an MSU commit. Blackwell is one of the most respected and trusted men working with high school football players in the country. He's really looked up to.

Good article there Johnny2x2x. It sounds like he doesn't have any College experience. He knows how these high schoolcamps work, but is going to need to learn how to sell the MSU angle to these kids. It can only be good though, especially with a guy that has this much experience with HS kids.

the MSU angle?

"Want to go to the 2nd best University in the State of Michigan, play for the 2nd best Program in the State of Michigan, and be known as "2nd best" for the rest of your life? Come to East Lansing! The silver lining is... you won't have to work as hard on or off the field."

the MSU angle?

"Want to go to the 2nd best University in the State of Michigan, play for the 2nd best Program in the State of Michigan, and be known as "2nd best" for the rest of your life? Come to East Lansing! The silver lining is... you won't have to work as hard on or off the field."

I love the arrogance, please never change. Reading this stuff makes beating Michigan so much more fun. Otherwise its like playing iowa

I love the arrogance, please never change. Reading this stuff makes beating Michigan so much more fun. Otherwise its like playing iowa

Yeah, beating them at Spartan Stadium this year is going to be nice. I guess MSU winning 4 out of 5 years, and being 2 plays away from 6 in a row give Michigan confidence. The fact that they are returning the least amount of starters in the B1G and we are returning the most off a team that was barely beaten at the Big Hole last year just flies right over the Walmarters heads.

Can't wait to hear their excuses after this year's Spartan win.

Last edited:
Yeah, beating them at Spartan Stadium this year is going to be nice. I guess MSU winning 4 out of 5 years, and being 2 plays away from 6 in a row give Michigan confidence. The fact that they are returning the least amount of starters in the B1G and we are returning the most off a team that was barely beaten at the Big Hole last year just flies right over the Walmarters heads.

talk about arrogance... who is penciling in a win already?

Have to disagree on the one or two play thing. We're also only a few plays away from losing 2 of those games.

talk about arrogance... who is penciling in a win already?

Id say 60% chance of a win. If the game was today id say msu by 3

Last edited:
Reasons why recruits go to MSU: "You get to play Michigan."

Reason why recruits go to M: "ThisisMichiganfergadsakes"

Reasons why recruits go to MSU: "You get to play Michigan."

Reason why recruits go to M: "ThisisMichiganfergadsakes"

You forgot the one where the couldnt get into michigan. Maybe they couldn't handle the demanding workload of the general studies programal, also known as wolverine athletics junior college

Last edited:
You forgot the one where the couldnt get into michigan. Maybe they couldn't handle the demanding workload of the general studies programal, also known as wolverine athletics junior college

They want to play on a crowned field, with favorable clock operators, and refs who let our DBs interfere with Desmond Howard, and then they can get away with Attempt of Murder. All of this of course, just as long as Michigan isn't playing Michigan Football, because they have yet to lose a game where they were playing Michigan Football, even against Appalachian State when half their team showed up high.

Hey now that general studies major is as rigorous as is State's.

Hey now that general studies major is as rigorous as is State's.

Right, but we dont sell recruits on being the Harvard of the midwest and then pressure them into a bs major to keep them eligible. We're a football factory like every other big ten team other than nw, we dont claim to be something else.

Devin gardner walked in spring graduation with a major of "undeclared."

Wtf

Last edited:
Right, but we dont sell recruits on being the Harvard of the midwest and then pressure them into a bs major to keep them eligible. We're a football factory like every other big ten team other than nw, we dont claim to be something else.

Devin gardner walked on spring graduation with a major of "undeclared."

Wtf

This is Michigan for god sakes. I don't know the details of the conversations between recruiters and recruits, but I imagine there's a lot of embellishment going on no matter where you go. And not all the ball players at Michigan are stump-intelligent (there are some there of course) but there are some pretty smart ones there. So there.

This is Michigan for god sakes. I don't know the details of the conversations between recruiters and recruits, but I imagine there's a lot of embellishment going on no matter where you go. And not all the ball players at Michigan are stump-intelligent (there are some there of course) but there are some pretty smart ones there. So there.

Always cracks me up when I hear every single recruit talking about academics, whether they're going to MSU, U of M, or LSU, they have the same NCAA clearinghouse standards to meet, and all 3 schools are going to steer 95% of them into whatever BS (Bull Shit) major it takes to keep them eligibile. A hand full of each class might be able to start out taking "real" college classes. The academics for football players are no different between Purdue, Notre Dame, or USC, seems like the kids should know that up front.

Someone wrote a good book about the subject and his experience at Michigan playing for Bo, called, "If I don't Six." Kid was a gung ho D lineman who also happened to be smart and a good writer, he got the schedule together he wanted to take his freshman year and took it to the coaches, they crossed off everything he picked and wrote in a bunch of cupcake classes like basket weaving, and home economics, and told him, "kid, you're here to play football, you show us you can do that and maybe next year we'll talk about letting you take one of those writing classes you wanted."

Personally, I think the whole business is a huge diservice to these kids, they come to play football for free, the school and the NCAA makes $millions off from that, 98% of them will never play in the pros, the least the schools should be required to do for them is make sure they get a usefull education in a "real" degreed program.

I just go off the quotes of Michigan recruiting targets after visits. Of course there are some smart kids, same with msu, shit, sadler is working on his doctorate as a junior.

The point is with Michigan, the perception is way better than reality. Kids come in and get steered to general studies which is 40% scholarship athletes, which is fine. It just so happens that Michigan has an undeserved reputation of cultivating great student athletes when in reality theyre dead last in the big ten in 4yr apr.

Always cracks me up when I hear every single recruit talking about academics, whether they're going to MSU, U of M, or LSU, they have the same NCAA clearinghouse standards to meet, and all 3 schools are going to steer 95% of them into whatever BS (Bull Shit) major it takes to keep them eligibile. A hand full of each class might be able to start out taking "real" college classes. The academics for football players are no different between Purdue, Notre Dame, or USC, seems like the kids should know that up front.

Someone wrote a good book about the subject and his experience at Michigan playing for Bo, called, "If I don't Six." Kid was a gung ho D lineman who also happened to be smart and a good writer, he got the schedule together he wanted to take his freshman year and took it to the coaches, they crossed off everything he picked and wrote in a bunch of cupcake classes like basket weaving, and home economics, and told him, "kid, you're here to play football, you show us you can do that and maybe next year we'll talk about letting you take one of those writing classes you wanted."

Personally, I think the whole business is a huge diservice to these kids, they come to play football for free, the school and the NCAA makes $millions off from that, 98% of them will never play in the pros, the least the schools should be required to do for them is make sure they get a usefull education in a "real" degreed program.

I worked with Greg Collins's (All American, LB, ND, 1973) brother at a summer job and he told me the story of his first meeting with his roommate, Mike Fanning (AA DE), who was tossing his books out the window of his dorm, which was several stories off the ground, without looking where they were landing and with no knowledge if anyone was below. When Collins asked Fanning what he was doing, Fanning replied "we don't need these."

I worked with Greg Collins's (All American, LB, ND, 1973) brother at a summer job and he told me the story of his first meeting with his roommate, Mike Fanning (AA DE), who was tossing his books out the window of his dorm, which was several stories off the ground, without looking where they were landing and with no knowledge if anyone was below. When Collins asked Fanning what he was doing, Fanning replied "we don't need these."

Big difference between then and now though.

I just go off the quotes of Michigan recruiting targets after visits. Of course there are some smart kids, same with msu, shit, sadler is working on his doctorate as a junior.

... It just so happens that Michigan has an undeserved reputation of cultivating great student athletes when in reality theyre dead last in the big ten in 4yr apr.

Do you honestly think their four year apr score refutes that perception?

Do you honestly think their four year apr score refutes that perception?

Its reality but that doesn't matter. All of the stuff, general studies, apr, players walking w a degree in undeclared, it all runs counter to the reputation. Nw is on a completely different level, Michigan is just like everyone else, but the reputation is that theyre somehow different

Back